Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Restriction as a mod?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:41 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Restriction as a mod? Reply with quote

While looking up insurance quotes for a 2011 Bandit (hopefully will have full licence soon so planning ahead) I got a few quotes of under £500 TPO, but as soon as I say it has a restrictor kit fitted, I get one quote back rather than 30, and thats for £1100. Do I have to state that its had a restrictor kit fitted and pay an extra £600? Surely it doesn't make that much difference? I'm not putting any other mods on as "They were on it when I bought it, promise Liar "
____________________
Ybr 125 > Bandit 650SA > GSXR 600 > Triumph Sprint St1050 > CB1300 > Z1000SX + FJ1200 (written off) > VFR750 >FJ1200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:47 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance companies make bankers look like saints and whores look like virgins. I think that telling them lies is a virtue not a sin.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:50 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also put in crash bobbins too, took the price up even more... its getting ridiculous. Insurance jumped from £900 TPO to £400 in the last week though, just because I'm now 18 Smile
____________________
Ybr 125 > Bandit 650SA > GSXR 600 > Triumph Sprint St1050 > CB1300 > Z1000SX + FJ1200 (written off) > VFR750 >FJ1200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:54 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try phoning insurers directly and progressing past the floor-staff to someone at a higher level to get your quote.

There was a story where someone restricted their son's car to 70mph and all the insurance companies were increasing the quotes. In the end he managed to speak to someone a bit higher-up in one of the insurance companies who decided that the restriction was actually a good thing and reduced the quote.

No reference for that story; can't remember where I read it.

Question here for all of you that know about insurance: what are the implications of not telling them the bike has a 33bhp restrictor kit fitted?
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:26 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
Try phoning insurers directly and progressing past the floor-staff to someone at a higher level to get your quote.

There was a story where someone restricted their son's car to 70mph and all the insurance companies were increasing the quotes. In the end he managed to speak to someone a bit higher-up in one of the insurance companies who decided that the restriction was actually a good thing and reduced the quote.

No reference for that story; can't remember where I read it.

Question here for all of you that know about insurance: what are the implications of not telling them the bike has a 33bhp restrictor kit fitted?


Possibly on here, my mates dad did that to the car, and the insurance company decided it was a "performance modification" (which TECHNICALLY it is modifying the performance, albeit reducing the chance of reckless high speed) and thus warranted a ridiculous hike in premiums. Got put through to one of the senior supervisors who actually had the knowledge and authority to override the system and they dropped the premium.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:31 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, dealing with insurers takes layers of enamel off my teeth.

Remember when Bennetts said "no more than 3 mods!" then had to backpedal furiously when they were dragged out into the light?

I'm with the Badger: decide for yourself if it's "material" and screw them and their ridiculous, retarded Computer Says No systems.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:50 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
There was a story where someone restricted their son's car to 70mph and all the insurance companies were increasing the quotes. In the end he managed to speak to someone a bit higher-up in one of the insurance companies who decided that the restriction was actually a good thing and reduced the quote.


As much as I hate insurers, If I was in their position then I'd be increasing the premium for the son too.

If his dad felt he needed to restrict his son's car to 70mph then that just says it's likely he's the sort of person to drive like a dick.

It's different when it comes to bike restriction though. That's a necessity due to the licence and doesn't say anything about the rider.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:03 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not declare my restrictors. They have to be there for me to ride according to my licence, so, I wouldn't bother. Even though I didn't declare it, the insurance STILL asked for proof of my restriction! Laughing!

When I did a quote with braided brake lines, out of curiosity, it put my quote up by £2,600. Laughing!

Secondly, a 2011 Bandit, really? Why get a bike that new? The chances of you binning it are pretty high and with a bike that new you will lose a big wad of cash with even the slightest drop.

When I was due to take my test, I wanted a nice new bike when I passed my test too and my Dad eventually got me a 1997 YZF600R Thundercat which, believe it or not, I fell in love with and would have another in a heartbeat.

Anyway, few weeks after passing my test, written off. Not my fault, but, we lost £1200 instead of the £6000 if I had the bike I wanted. The chances of you binning your first big bike are almost 100%, so get a bike that's cheaper and won't be so bad if you bin it. That way when you do you won't lose as much if any money and you can learn your hard to learn lessons so you won't drop the nice new bike when you get it.

Cheers! Thumbs Up!
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:46 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
As much as I hate insurers, If I was in their position then I'd be increasing the premium for the son too.

If his dad felt he needed to restrict his son's car to 70mph then that just says it's likely he's the sort of person to drive like a dick.

It's different when it comes to bike restriction though. That's a necessity due to the licence and doesn't say anything about the rider.


Fair point.

On the other hand though, it pretty much removes any and all chance of the kid street racing it or going fast to show off to his friends.

I didn't think about it from that perspective, though.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

grant965
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulington wrote:

When I was due to take my test, I wanted a nice new bike when I passed my test too and my Dad eventually got me a 1997 YZF600R Thundercat which, believe it or not, I fell in love with and would have another in a heartbeat.

I'm selling mine if your interested Very Happy
____________________
Ex bikes: 05 Suzuki En 125, '98 Yamaha Thundercat, '08 Honda cbr125, '05 Kawasaki z750, '03 Triumph Daytona 600, '91 Kawasaki ex250, '03 Hyosung Comet 125
Current Bike: '02 Suzuki TL1000R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.06 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 70.14 Kb