Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Strange ignition problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Helen
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 21 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:40 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Strange ignition problem Reply with quote

Hi

Wonder if anyone could help. I have an old Honda CG125 on a K plate. The bike runs fine but I have a problem with the ignition. The bike starts up no matter which way the handlebars are turned but will only turn off if the handlebars are pointing forward or to the right. I can even take the key out and the engine will still be running if I do so when my handlebars are turned to the left. I have absolutely no idea on how to get to the ignition wiring (and no idea on what to do once I get to it) and the only bike mechanic around here would charge £35 just to look at it. The sad thing is, that I have had the bike for 2 months now and have never noticed the problem so don’t know if I have never tried to stop the engine with the bars pointing left or if it is a new problem. Has anyone ever had the same problem? I will buy a Haynes manual and attempt to find the problem myself if the ignition is easy to get at, or will have to get it looked at if not.

Helen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's obviously a loose contact on the wiring , look around any connector beetween the key and the battery (probably the connector at the key with the wiring scraping on the handlebar)
____________________
the worst day fishing is better than the best day working
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:09 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The ignition switch works to turn the engine off by earthing the ignition system through it. So if the earth wire to the ignition switch is broken the it will not stop the engine. My guess is that the wiring is broken and just happens to make contact when you turn the bars to the right, or the wire is hanging around and catches on the frame / etc when you turn the bars to the right.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:34 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was not talking about the kill switch (have a check too) but the key lock switch
____________________
the worst day fishing is better than the best day working
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Helen
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 21 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:52 - 28 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Traced the wire back, the casing already had electrical tape on it and when I got it off I could not see any loose wires so I took it to the guy I mentioned earlier and booked it in for Friday. Won't cost nearly as much as I thought (£20) as he said what I have is probably a faulty earth. So he is only going to charge me an hours labour as it also needs a new netural switch which I believe he has to get behind the gearbox to fix.

Thanks for the advice.

Helen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 28 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Suspect they might just fit a new ignition switch (non original one for the older CG125 is about £11). Chances are that the problem is in the wire from the main wiring loom up to the ignition switch.

For the neutral light the sensor is probably next to the front sprocket. You will see a "bolt" with a small wire going to it. The wire probably attaches to the "bolt" with a small cross head screw.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.78 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 49.14 Kb