|
|
| Author |
Message |
| blurredman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 blurredman World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Sep 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:30 - 17 Mar 2012 Post subject: Windows XP in disguise? |
 |
|
Hey guys, got a weird one here.
For some time now, certain setup proceedures have given me hassle during install about not being on Windows XP.
VM Ware Player gave me that issue and I had to use a different machine for that piece of work.
But I installed Darkness 2, which i'm really enjoying other than it freezing up constantly. So I thought i'd update my graphics drivers, incase that was a source of the freezing. I am currently on 280.26 or something, and the latest out is 296.10.
Now I downloaded the setup only for when I run it it spouts out:-
"Sorry, this programme requires Windows 2000 or later"
The problem is, I am on Windows XP, SP3. I checked out Everest and weirdly, it said I was on Windows NT4, before promptly freezing and when I re-executed the programme it told me I was on XP again..
There isn't much on the internet, after all, what exactly could I ask google for?
I have a feeling that it's obviously a registry issue, but I have no way to find it to correct it. Or if it isn't a registry issue, in what way could it be solved other than re-installing the OS?
Regards ____________________ CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| andym |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 andym World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Nov 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| blurredman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 blurredman World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Sep 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:54 - 17 Mar 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I updated the graphics drivers the good old fashioned way successfully. I've of unknown knowledge that what I hoped it'd achieve has been successful too.
Still doesn't solve the problem that certain installations complain about not being on Windows XP.  ____________________ CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Frost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Frost World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:11 - 17 Mar 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Should be in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\
Specifically the CurrentVersion should be 5.1 for Windows XP. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| blurredman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 blurredman World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Sep 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:52 - 17 Mar 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Rogerborg wrote: | Should be in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\
Specifically the CurrentVersion should be 5.1 for Windows XP. |
Thanks, it says 5.1
As for compatability mode, for a programme that can only work with windows NT systems, doing compatability mode would be a backwards step. ____________________ CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Frost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Frost World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CaNsA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CaNsA Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Jan 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:24 - 17 Mar 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Upgrade to W7.
Problem Solved  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| blurredman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 blurredman World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Sep 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:40 - 18 Mar 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'll re-install XP in a month or two, that'll sort it. I can't do it now, I can't have the hassle, being in the last months of University. I CBA.
Current install dates from November 2009, fair time ago. Needs a re-install by now esspecially with the crap that gets collected in temp locations and the registry is probably fooked.
Re-install on the cards. Thanks all. ____________________ CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|