Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Windows XP in disguise?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Windows XP in disguise? Reply with quote

Hey guys, got a weird one here.

For some time now, certain setup proceedures have given me hassle during install about not being on Windows XP.

VM Ware Player gave me that issue and I had to use a different machine for that piece of work.

But I installed Darkness 2, which i'm really enjoying other than it freezing up constantly. So I thought i'd update my graphics drivers, incase that was a source of the freezing. I am currently on 280.26 or something, and the latest out is 296.10.

Now I downloaded the setup only for when I run it it spouts out:-

"Sorry, this programme requires Windows 2000 or later"


The problem is, I am on Windows XP, SP3. I checked out Everest and weirdly, it said I was on Windows NT4, before promptly freezing and when I re-executed the programme it told me I was on XP again..

There isn't much on the internet, after all, what exactly could I ask google for? Laughing


I have a feeling that it's obviously a registry issue, but I have no way to find it to correct it. Or if it isn't a registry issue, in what way could it be solved other than re-installing the OS?

Regards
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:48 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I'll be any help here, but I'm using XP pro 64 which has been a nightmare with some drivers, but I was told that it was just windows server 2003 with a different name.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated the graphics drivers the good old fashioned way successfully. I've of unknown knowledge that what I hoped it'd achieve has been successful too. Confused

Still doesn't solve the problem that certain installations complain about not being on Windows XP. Laughing
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:52 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try running the installation in compatibility mode?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\

Specifically the CurrentVersion should be 5.1 for Windows XP.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Should be in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\

Specifically the CurrentVersion should be 5.1 for Windows XP.


Thanks, it says 5.1



As for compatability mode, for a programme that can only work with windows NT systems, doing compatability mode would be a backwards step.
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:03 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not set the mode to XP (SP1) or XP (SP2) ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:24 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrade to W7.

Problem Solved Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 18 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll re-install XP in a month or two, that'll sort it. I can't do it now, I can't have the hassle, being in the last months of University. I CBA.

Current install dates from November 2009, fair time ago. Needs a re-install by now esspecially with the crap that gets collected in temp locations and the registry is probably fooked.

Re-install on the cards. Thanks all.
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 64.81 Kb