Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Corner and Gear Selection

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message
Lupine Lacuna This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Dean-J
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:50 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever driven a car you moronic arsewipe? Because guess what, they fucking do it too!


Stop reposting shite you have read on the internet and pretending its your own opinion. we can see through you a mile off by now.

And how the fuck you carried too much "heat" into a corner is beyond me on your little island of retards, with your 40mph speed limit...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dean-J
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:52 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless of course you were on your naked bike, which obviously is just as fast as a modern day sports bike eh.... Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

snikks
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:11 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Corner and Gear Selection Reply with quote

Lupine Lacuna wrote:
I scared myself carrying too much heat into a corner; Because I was in a higher gear than I am used to, I had no engine braking. And engine breaking I like. Can I assume that, always, if you have that scary roll on, you're in too high a gear to:

1. accelerate out efficiently
2. maintain proper traction
3. have greater control

Separately, why do motorbikes brake so much when you are in a lower gear at speed - I have not experienced this in a car


Three points here:
You shouldn't be engine braking around a corner, first of all, what you want is slight acceleration around a corner in order to move weight onto the back wheel which has a wider contact patch (although if you absolutely must slow around a corner, back brake or engine braking is the way to do it, as a rear slide is easier to control).
You should always attempt, therefore, to be at the correct speed and gear for a corner, before you reach that corner. All braking, engine or otherwise, should ideally be completed before the corner (unless you're "trail-braking" which there's no need to really go for on the road, and certainly not at under 40mph).
Cars definitely do engine braking too - it's maybe not quite as pronounced as the car has a lot more weight to push it forwards.
____________________
- CBT: 02/01/11 Theory: 26/04/11 Mod 1: 19/05/11 Mod 2: 19/08/11
- 2007 Honda XL125V Varadero (Sold), 1999 Yamaha FZS600 Fazer (Sold), 2001 CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:20 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

All your roads are slow, meaning your corners are about as fun as sitting on a cactus.
Just keep it in 2nd round your whole island and maintain some throttle.

Too much heat into a corner...Oh, how we laughed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine braking round a corner is one way to lose traction easily Thumbs Up

Personally I try to avoid using brakes or anything going round a corner, if you need to slow down ease off the throttle, then power out when you're facing the right way

It's not that complicated

Some pre-thought and you should be at the right speed before you begin the turning manuevre, it couldnt be IM TURNING OH GOD TOO FAST DUMP THE GEARS AND BRAKE SWEET JESUS
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:32 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Corner and Gear Selection Reply with quote

Lupine Lacuna wrote:
Separately, why do motorbikes brake so much when you are in a lower gear at speed - I have not experienced this in a car


Have you ever changed down a gear in a car at too-high revs? I've experienced it.

Lupine Lacuna wrote:
I scared myself carrying too much heat into a corner; Because I was in a higher gear than I am used to, I had no engine braking. And engine breaking I like. Can I assume that, always, if you have that scary roll on, you're in too high a gear to:

1. accelerate out efficiently
2. maintain proper traction
3. have greater control


1. No, but if your RPM is too low, drop down a gear!
2. No, I can't see how you being in a higher gear will lessen your traction? Confused
3. No, you should be able to control the bike just fine. It's your survival instincts that get in the way

Unless you're literally pushing the bike to it's edge, you can always lean the bike further over and accelerate more to get yourself round a corner. Panic breaking is what makes it scary - it can make you crash, too.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this guy's post's, but still think he's not for real...it's not possible!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:08 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Corner and Gear Selection Reply with quote

First off, it should never be scary because you're in too high a gear - I would suggest this is your lack of confidence mixed with a slightly different circumstance.
Quote:

1. accelerate out efficiently

You won't accelerate as hard if you're in too high a gear. Not an issue unless you're "racing".

Quote:
2. maintain proper traction

Can't see why not. Ideally on most bikes you'd be applying gentle power around a corner - on 'most-all bikes, you can still do this in most gears. If you don't do it, unless you're really near the limits of traction, it shouldn't matter anyway. Not an issue for the road.


Quote:
3. have greater control

Only really got greater control to accelerate out. If you have very little control of the brakes, it might give you a bit better control in that you can't lock up a wheel with engine braking (though on many bikes you certainly can make it slide.)

Quote:
Separately, why do motorbikes brake so much when you are in a lower gear at speed - I have not experienced this in a car

Power to weight ratio I suspect, though it certainly does happen in cars too.


Last edited by G on 12:53 - 20 Mar 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Corner and Gear Selection Reply with quote

Lupine Lacuna wrote:
I scared myself carrying too much heat into a corner

Two shotguns?

Careful, if you exceed twenty of her Britannic Majesty's miles per Greenwich Hour, the Gendarmes' sketch-artist might capture your likeness. And then he'll own your soul.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupine Lacuna wrote:
I scared myself carrying too much heat into a corner


wait till you over cook it round a blind bend, into the path of an on coming car with your missus on the back. then you'll know what scared is Twisted Evil
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lupine Lacuna
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant was pre corner. I am used to being in low gears revving high and then coming off or sloowing the throttle and the bike slowing considerably, but there are two issues here:

1. there one big long straight, which are dangerous in themselves as I am not at a stage where I can 'feel speed', I find I lose all sense of how fast I am going quite quickly, until I try and slow down and it doesn't seem to be working.... Smile Its also odd how much slower a road feels when it has a good surface than when it is sketchy.

2. I did this coming down from 4th and when coming off the thorttle I was thinking, christ, the bike isnt slowing (like it normally does)

Seperately, I have tiny hands and I think I need to get my breaking lever nearer the bar to make breaking easier.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:36 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have brakes for a reason; learn to use them.

Engine braking is nice to play about with getting it sideways with a touch of rear brake, but certainly shouldn't be relied upon, whatever the police might say.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mr "I've been riding three months and never gone above 40mph on my Bandit" for giving us old timers pointers on how to ride.

My twelve years of experience on bikes and ownership of 20+ different machines in that time wouldn't have prepared me for the lesson that you've given me. I humbly bow to your superior knowledge.

Oh, and this telegram just arrived for you:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/lacuna_136.jpg
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:20 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupine Lacuna wrote:
Seperately, I have tiny hands


And the six fingers and webbing can't make it easy either.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupine, just for you... and to give my stuff a decent use, I'll record some of our "boring" roads for you at the weekend.

You'll soon see you need to come visit the UK (Don't...but you'll want to)

I'm far from a good rider but I'm pretty sure I can corner Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kestrel
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Lupine, just for you... and to give my stuff a decent use, I'll record some of our "boring" roads for you at the weekend.

You'll soon see you need to come visit the UK (Don't...but you'll want to)

I'm far from a good rider but I'm pretty sure I can corner Laughing


Or perhaps he'd rather skip your 'boring' NSL roads ##Paddy## and come to the other island, no boring roads here and no NSL either Laughing
____________________
Isle of Man.........Road Racing Capital Of The World
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor bloke, although perversely i look forward to his posts just for the chuckle.
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 (Now gone to heaven) > CBR600F4i (SOLD) > '99 YZF-R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:53 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Corner and Gear Selection Reply with quote

Lupine Lacuna wrote:

Separately, why do motorbikes brake so much when you are in a lower gear at speed - I have not experienced this in a car


It's not actually engine braking, it's air braking - the air is hitting your meat head and slowing you down a treat. In a car you have a windscreen to stop this happening.

Hope that helps.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my RoSPA/IAM training:

Gears are to GO, brakes are to SLOW.

Use your brakes to slow down. Only use engine braking when it is efficient to do so, I mainly use it for roundabouts and going down hills. Remember, when you are using engine braking to slow down the cars behind you have no brake light to tell them that you are braking so those that aren't paying much attention (Read: almost all of them) are much likely to rear end you.

Second bit of advice:

IPSGA

I- Information
P- Position
S- Speed
G- Gear
A- Accelerate

If you run through that in your head whilst you are approaching junctions/hazards/every few seconds on the road then you will find that you find yourself driving much smoother, being much more prepared and not having to make any sudden moves/being surprised a lot less and generally being a better driver.

I also find it makes me drive/ride a lot slower too, this is partly because it's just as fast when you pay a lot of attention and because the kind of attention you need to pay to be overly safe on the road that my advanced driving has drilled into me actually requires a lot of conscious effort and needing to be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear tends to slow you down.

You can't really generalize such that 'motorbikes have more engine braking than cars' as it depends on so many factors such as weight, engine displacement, gear, compression ratio and a whole lot more. Get in a car doing 30mph, put it into first and let the clutch out. You'll feel the engine braking.

If you scared yourself by carrying excess speed into a corner, then chances are you weren't paying adequate attention to the road/your driving because if you were you'd have started braking long before the moment that if your brakes didn't work, you were buggered and if you were paying attention and the engine braking wasn't as strong as you thought you'd have slammed on the anchors.

Maybe take some training? RoSPA is free after you've joined a local group (apart from maybe covering the tutor's fuel fees) for all the training and only £45 for the test if you wish to take it. If you do so, you'll find that you get surprised on the road a whole let less.

Cheers!
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulington wrote:
Get in a car doing 30mph, put it into first and let the clutch out. You'll feel the engine braking.


Christ, dump the clutch in first at 30mph in a car and you might feel the engine breaking.
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bLiXeY
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupine, is it like 'The Wicker Man', on your island?

(The original of course, not the remake.)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

edb
Nova Slayer



Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:53 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything paulington said times a million. Except the 1st gear business maybe Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:21 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine braking into a corner is important, even if you are using the brakes, ever hit a false neutral? If you are in a higher gear than you thought or a lower one for that matter then you will go in at the wrong speed , panic, and hit the brakes or lose the back most likely. Bet there's a few on here done that.

The difference between bikes and cars is the weight and momentum caused by it, less weight = more effect in terms of engine braking so you are bound to notice it more on a bike.

To the o.p. It happens, we all make mistakes, even the heroes on here replying to your question. The secret is to learn from it and put the experience to use next time it happens, to get a bit more feel for it cos thats what riding a bikes all about, feel. Until it comes naturally you have to concentrate a bit and accept you will f*ck it up occasionally. Just don't be going too hard when that happens or you'll be joining the spill counter.

As for training, yeah do some if it appeals but when it comes right down to it, it's down to you. I know people who have done IAM after been riding bikes for 2-3 years and are now observing and telling people what they do wrong. Joke. Crying or Very sad

Keep trying, get the experience, stay alive.

OGR
____________________
2022 Tiger Sport 660 2019 Street Twin 2003 K3 gixxer 1000 1998 Srad 600 track hack
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:58 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a download link for the twist of the wrist dvd

https://torrentz.eu/314d4c7c07d0a7edc0f81fedfc8e6ea6a308f4bb

https://www.torrenthound.com/hash/cd00b34a18329e40d4e78a763e8f364d2b212040/torrent-info/A-Twist-Of-The-Wrist--Vol2-pdf

And one for twist of the wrist 2 PDF have a watch/read they have some good information.

As others have said above and is mention in twist of the wrist all your your braking, gear changing etc should be done before you enter the corner. It's all about been smooth.
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.49 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.52 Kb