Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Adjusting Valve Clearences/Tappets Honda CD250u

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

89CBRChris
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Adjusting Valve Clearences/Tappets Honda CD250u Reply with quote

Hi,

I am going to have a go at adjusting the valve clearences on me Honda CD250u and just wanted to ask a little advice.

I have had a good read of me haynes manual and am reasonably confident that I should be ok at doing this, however according to the manual I need to unbolt and remove the head of the engine to get to all the adjuster thingies, you should be able to see from attached pic which bit of the engine I mean. now if I remove the head from the engine it also says to carefully remove the seal and replace if neccesary. Now what I need to know is if you think I will need to replace this seal or just reuse the old one, also if I do need to replace this where do I get one from and are they expensive?

Thanks in advance for any advice.


Chris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo



Joined: 26 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remove the head carefully you can get away with reusing the gasket. Make sure the bike is cold when you check and adjust them, ideally leave it overnight and then do the work before you ride the bike.
____________________
A big enough hammer fixes anything!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

89CBRChris
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, thanks scooby.

If I make a hash of the removal and screw the gasket, where can I get a new one from and are they easy to get, don't want to screw it up then have a 2 week wait to get a replacement.

oh and will I need a feeler gauge too, if so where do I get one of those (will gerricke sell them?)


Last edited by 89CBRChris on 15:48 - 27 Sep 2004; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo



Joined: 26 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fairly commonly available for your bike. Can't see you having a problem getting it off if you take your time, unless someones gashed it up before and used a load of silicon or something to seal it. They are quite expensive though, so try not to damage it Smile
____________________
A big enough hammer fixes anything!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get a feeler gauge from any tool supplier, even helfords sell them. It might be worth getting a gasket before you start working, then if you screw it up your bike wont be off the road if you have to wait for one to be delivered etc.... Thumbs Up

PS Isn't that bit your taking off the rocker cover ? I thought the 'head' is the cylinder barrel etc only mention it because you need to ask for the right gasket if you do indeed need a new one (I stand to be corrected on that !!)
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson


Last edited by swampy on 16:31 - 27 Sep 2004; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

89CBRChris
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cool, i might get one just incase then, I am a bit heavy handed at times and its quite likely i'll bugger it up, i'll have another read of the manual and work out if its head cover/rocker cover etc.

where do you get a new gasket from and what sort of price should I be looking at paying?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.davidsilverspares.co.uk ring them up, they should have it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:20 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: bike Reply with quote

dude thats only the rocker cover mate doesnt even need a gasket really its only to keep crap out and the oil from flying out. it will be fine with out replacing teh gasket

All our xt's have inspection covers so you dont even need to take that off
____________________
F'it DO WHAT EVER MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!!! Even if it screws over everyone else :p
Titz wrote: "..and my 3rd accident was when this police car....."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

89CBRChris
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool no gasket required then Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.77 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 59.82 Kb