Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My bike is brocken :( Gearbox??????

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Chris750
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 21 Apr 2012    Post subject: My bike is brocken :( Gearbox?????? Reply with quote

Riding along today I lost all gears accept for first, I limped it 30 yards to safety out of the way of traffic and the back wheel locked up.

I't won't even roll freely in neutral. Luckly I wasn't far from home, so rather than wait for the AA, I had a 30 minute push with the clutch held in.

Now I am at a bit of loss what to do. If the gearbox is gone I may as well break the bike, as its not worth that much so I don't think it would be worth repairing.


What would be the likely cause of this issue? Is it even worth bothering trying to sort out?

Bike is a GSXR 750 WS.
____________________
Current Rides: GSXR-750 WS, GSXR-1000 K5, KTM EXC 300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:34 - 21 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahadumball wrote:
sounds like a possible track bike to me


Stop being a dick dumball.

I'm not sure what to do Chris. I'd guess the first step would be to get the clutch cover off and make sure there is no debris in the clutch. I'd also have a look at the gear linkage and see if that has what has caused it to jam. To be honest it doesn't sound good though...
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 21 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's failing to select gears, then you're looking at a failure with the selector rather than with the gears themselves. A fair amount of the selector mechanism can be viewed without splitting the cases, you can get to it by removing one of the crankcase covers.

If the problem isn't in the linkage, then a possibility is the knurled selector wheel that bolts onto the end of the drum. This is usually keyed into position with quite a slim dowel, and if that dowel sheared then the selector drum wouldn't turn. Not a particularly difficult fix, and something that would come under stress from a lot of harsh (clutchless) gear changes.

That or a bolt worked loose in the selector mech.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris750
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 21 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marjay that is very helpfull. I think I will spend the day tomorrow seeing if I can identify what is wrong.
I am fairly familiar with the working of the bike except clutch and gearbox as its one thing I have never had to deal with.

If the gear box has gone, I did see one on ebay a couple of months ago for a couple of hundred if I can get another. Would this be a nightmare to change though?
____________________
Current Rides: GSXR-750 WS, GSXR-1000 K5, KTM EXC 300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris750
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 21 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
If it's failing to select gears, then you're looking at a failure with the selector rather than with the gears themselves. A fair amount of the selector mechanism can be viewed without splitting the cases, you can get to it by removing one of the crankcase covers.

If the problem isn't in the linkage, then a possibility is the knurled selector wheel that bolts onto the end of the drum. This is usually keyed into position with quite a slim dowel, and if that dowel sheared then the selector drum wouldn't turn. Not a particularly difficult fix, and something that would come under stress from a lot of harsh (clutchless) gear changes.

That or a bolt worked loose in the selector mech.


That is awesome advise and will give me something difinitive to have a look into tomorrow, Thanks.
____________________
Current Rides: GSXR-750 WS, GSXR-1000 K5, KTM EXC 300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 21 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris750 wrote:
Thanks Marjay that is very helpfull. I think I will spend the day tomorrow seeing if I can identify what is wrong.
I am fairly familiar with the working of the bike except clutch and gearbox as its one thing I have never had to deal with.

If the gear box has gone, I did see one on ebay a couple of months ago for a couple of hundred if I can get another. Would this be a nightmare to change though?


Depends if the GSXR is a cassette type gearbox or not. IIRC it isn't, but it might be. If it is, it'll just slide out and slide in. If it isn't then you'll have to split the whole engine. It would be easier and cheaper to replace the entire engine in that case.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris750
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 21 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

One further thing that has come to my attention now I think about it.
A couple of time when I changed from first to second it wouldn't go into gear. So I had to stay in first for another second, close the throttle again and it would go in. This has only happened 3 or 4 times though over the last few months.

Also I had the sentsation this morning that something was slipping under hard acceleration like I had the clutch lever was not properly released. I had assumed the clutch may be on its way out.

I think this bike has had a hard life with its previous owners.
I have now spent so much money and time into trying to make it good, that everytime something new come up I think I may as well put it right or else the previous effort and expense would be wasted.
This was also my first bike I have owned so I do have some sentimental attachment to it and was planning to just use it as my getting to work/backup bike when I have other bikes.

But I will have to see what happens now.
____________________
Current Rides: GSXR-750 WS, GSXR-1000 K5, KTM EXC 300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 21 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I't won't even roll freely in neutral. Luckly I wasn't far from home, so rather than wait for the AA, I had a 30 minute push with the clutch held in.


You can't wheel it in neutral but you can push it in 1st with the clutch in? Sounds like you have a broken shift fork, and every attempt to select any gear but 1st is attempting to select two gears.

Not a terribly serious problem but it will require at least the crank cases split, if not the head off. I suggest you mosey on over to oldskoolsuzuki.info and ask in the watercooled forum there, you might even find a replacement engine.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris750
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 21 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:


You can't wheel it in neutral but you can push it in 1st with the clutch in? Sounds like you have a broken shift fork, and every attempt to select any gear but 1st is attempting to select two gears.



I can't now wheel it in any gear or neutral. If I pull in the clutch I can wheel it, whatever the gear selection.

When it initially broke, it wouldn't select any gear except first, which I used to trundle the few yards to safety. As I moved along in first the revs seemed much higher than they should of been in order to move at my current speed.
After a few yards the back wheel locked causing me to skid to a stop.
____________________
Current Rides: GSXR-750 WS, GSXR-1000 K5, KTM EXC 300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mad4it028
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:22 - 21 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

good breakers gsxrs failing that engines can be picked up fairly cheap
____________________
always looking to buy bikes crashed ,unfinished projects,none runners pm me
currently riding kawasaki z1000 only bike ive ever loved
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 21 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete engine on OSS for £175
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris750
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 23 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Complete engine on OSS for £175


This engine has now been purchased and is sat in my garage. It looks in much better condition than mine and has done less miles.

Thanks for your taking time to contact the guy for me Pete.

I am not working this weekend so I am going to do the swap out then.
I will see if I can fix my gearbox, but now with less urgency and on an engine that will be off the bike this should be easier.

All going well it will mean I will have a spare, just in case.
____________________
Current Rides: GSXR-750 WS, GSXR-1000 K5, KTM EXC 300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cloric_tzr
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:58 - 23 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris750 wrote:
Pete. wrote:
Complete engine on OSS for £175


This engine has now been purchased and is sat in my garage. It looks in much better condition than mine and has done less miles.

Thanks for your taking time to contact the guy for me Pete.

I am not working this weekend so I am going to do the swap out then.
I will see if I can fix my gearbox, but now with less urgency and on an engine that will be off the bike this should be easier.

All going well it will mean I will have a spare, just in case.


do you want to sell the old engine? just make a nice little project for me to strip tinker sort any probs n get some experience with iL4's? Smile
____________________
i dumped my girlfriend the other day! she wouldnt act out one of my fantasy's. all i wanted her to do was come home from work, catch me fucking her sister and join in!!! miserable bitch!
My wifes so ugly, the only thing that goes down on her
Is the internet connection.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 24 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for your taking time to contact the guy for me Pete.


My pleasure. I'm actually working in OX3 this week and next. If you get stuck with anything give me a shout and I'll see if I can pop round.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris750
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 30 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the swap out this weekend and it's up and running.

Whoever said broken gear selector fork for the old engine (Robby?), ten out of ten.

I will probably hang onto the old engine Cloric_tzr, I will either repair it or it will keep me in spares for years.

Thanks everyone

Thumbs Up
____________________
Current Rides: GSXR-750 WS, GSXR-1000 K5, KTM EXC 300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:37 - 30 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

good result! Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m1tch
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 30 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris750 wrote:
I did the swap out this weekend and it's up and running.

Whoever said broken gear selector fork for the old engine (Robby?), ten out of ten.

I will probably hang onto the old engine Cloric_tzr, I will either repair it or it will keep me in spares for years.

Thanks everyone

Thumbs Up


Bolt it onto a kart, im bolting an SV650 onto a kart for a bit of fun lol Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 163 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 102.74 Kb