Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tracker

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:56 - 21 May 2012    Post subject: Tracker Reply with quote

Does anyone run one? I'm seriously considering one, KTMs must be one of the most stolen brands... I'm not a fan of the cheaper methods, I'd rather invest in a good tracker, since you can swap them out to another bike anyway. Sure my insurance will cover theft but I read some trackers offer you the service of being able to map out your rides, and alert people if you come off etc. plus they're self reliant and just work all the time.

Any suggestions?
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:27 - 21 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what waffles has, but that piece of kit seems VERY tricked out. Follows routes, informs contacts when bike hits the deck, tells you if its been moved at all.

No idea what it is, but if I had a bike like yours I'd have one Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AlexW
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 11 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:39 - 21 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt I'll be of much use for what you're after as I don't really deal with bikes so don't know whats around.

I have one to fit, but I'm going for the cheapo option really, Just tracks if the bike is moved without the ign on, and I can alert them if it is stolen. Genuine Tracker and they have a exclusive contract with the police which means they can track it from their cars.

Whatever you get, report back on it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 22 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been reading up for a while today and there are so many..! The ones that offer the features I mentioned in the OP are usually the really expensive ones and some are not transferrable which is no good. MotoTrak seems the best so far but I'm wondering if the £35 ones off ebay + a PAYG sim are the best option. More research shall be done tomorrow I suppose Thumbs Up
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kingstondavo
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 22 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely recommend BikeTrac - Love being able to log onto their website any time and check up on my bike - was great peace of mind when on holiday...

Does movement alerts (change in lean angle - taken off the side stand, or rolled backward & forward), Rider down alerts (texts a family member if lean angle >80 degrees. Also does route tracking available at any time.

If the bike moves you get texts and an email instantly, then a call about 2 mins later from the control room asking if everything is ok, top quality service.

I believe they have recovered 100% of stolen bikes this year that have been fitted with it, thankfully havent been involved in that stat tho!
____________________
Current Ride - 2010 Hornet 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:14 - 22 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have BikeTrac, for piece of mind (and tracking good ride routes that I have done!) I can't fault it. After the initial expensive outlay to buy the magical black box it is not too expensive to keep up each year. I get to keep the box and can swap it onto any future bikes.

I think Tracker needs to be activated by a police patrol car, could be wrong there. BikeTrac, however, is permanently active and requires a log in to their website if you want to check the location of your ride. If your bike moves you get sent a text, if it moves any distance you get a phonecall immediately. Oh, if you bike battery is running low it sends a text Smile You can set it up so that any movement without the key sets it off or you can decide on an 'invisible fence' instead.

It's pretty nifty Smile

You can make your own system for less cash, someone on here was talking about wiring a charger for a smart phone into their bike on PAYG.
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:30 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is BikeTrak the same as Mototrak?

How much did you pay for the box?
Did you fit it yourself? Was it easy?
How much do you pay per month/year?

Cheers Very Happy
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:01 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the brief look I had at the Mototrak page they look fairly similar, at least in regards to you being able to log on and see where your bike is at any time.

When I had mine fitted the box cost me around £300, you can fit them yourself (they have full instructions in the box) but as I was buying my bike from a dealer they offered to do it for me before I picked the bike up. You need to find somewhere to hide the box and run the wires to the battery. Mine is also wired into the ignition but you can leave that bit out and arm/disarm the box via text if you want. Subscriptions are £99.99 for a year (or 27p a day!), £179.99 for two years (25p a day) or £229.99 for three years (21p a day).
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AlexW
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 11 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:06 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:

I think Tracker needs to be activated by a police patrol car, could be wrong there.


Tracker themselves have to activate it as stolen, and then police cars fitted with the tracking devices know its stolen.

Also, I don't know if its true with the above trackers, but I know a couple of the car trackers that you can track youself, once reported as stolen, won't let you log on/see where the vehicle is.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeNoir
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:58 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at this as well but still cant make up my mind. I believe the big difference between Traker and Biketrac is:

1. Traker opperates RF radio frequency so the bike can be found in garages and ISO containers, however has no GPS so you cannot see it online

2. Biketrac and others opperate only on GPS so have to have a line of sight to a satellite to text out a location, as soon as it goes in a Van or ISO container you may not get the signal and cant find the bike.
____________________
https://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-uk/109673.png
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can transfer Tracker between bikes btw, or maybe I'm mixing them up... some of the popular ones state you can't transfer boxes between bikes, you have to buy a new one each time and subscriptions are non-transferable so if you sold the bike the new owner would have to fork out the fees. Personally I want one that I can swap over as I rarely keep the same bike for more than 2 years.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

BikeTrac can tell me the location of my bike in a brick built, heavy tiled roof with solid metal door garage. It has also told me the location of my bike when in those metal-clad workshops so it's not just line of sight to a satellite.
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:20 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biketrac is £300, which is about the same as a Datatool S4 alarm and immobiliser.

Is there anything out there that combines all 3 for the same money?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
BikeTrac can tell me the location of my bike in a brick built, heavy tiled roof with solid metal door garage. It has also told me the location of my bike when in those metal-clad workshops so it's not just line of sight to a satellite.


Can you link to their site please? Also it could be a mix of GPS and GSM although the later is a lot less accurate.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you google it you should be able to find it easily. I'm at work at the moment so don't have the link on my phone! When I get home I can pop the link on here if you still need it Smile
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

multijoy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage of Tracker is the fact that, in London at least, the sensor is fitted routinely to police vehicles - once a unit is activated, any passing police car will be alerted if it's nearby (within 500m, I think) and they'll actively go hunting for it.
____________________
'11 CBF1000A, '99 C90, '98 CB500
silky666: He rode amazingly well considering his bike is the weight of a small van and had slicks on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:34 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
If you google it you should be able to find it easily. I'm at work at the moment so don't have the link on my phone! When I get home I can pop the link on here if you still need it Smile


Road Angle BikeTrac, found it Very Happy seems to tick all the boxes from what I've read on my phone.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:46 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Bike Trac... £269 for the unit then £229 for a 3-year subscription. £166 per year seems well worth it to me.

edit: found cheaper source
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an alarm fitted? I'd struggle to find space for both.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na I just use a disc lock alarm. Rarely use the bike for commuting, just for fun.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kingstondavo
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
BikeTrac can tell me the location of my bike in a brick built, heavy tiled roof with solid metal door garage. It has also told me the location of my bike when in those metal-clad workshops so it's not just line of sight to a satellite.


has no problem locating my bike in either of the underground car parks I regularly park up in. I believe it uses a combination of GPS, GSM Triangulation & RF Triangulation to get a location fix.
____________________
Current Ride - 2010 Hornet 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:13 - 24 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

So about this "ignition wire" the unit needs... what wire should that be? Literally the ignition wire or could it be the rear/front light?
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:45 - 25 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, KTMs have "accessory" connectors on the wiring loom, ACC1 is permanent live, and ACC2 is switched, which is what you want for a tracker.

Installed the BikeTrac today, wasn't too hard, although if you DIY apparently it voids the warranty, meh! I'm not paying £85+ for something that simple.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 28 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just moved my bike from the front of the house to the backlane and got a text, email and phone call from Road Angel telling me the bike has moved Laughing Oops.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HJM
Crazy Courier



Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 28 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha good piece of kit that, you can sleep in peace! Karma Karma
____________________
"90% of all statistics are made up"

CBT-18/04/2013
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.31 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 126.42 Kb