Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


bike running hot

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

llewellyn
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:15 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: bike running hot Reply with quote

RE: Srad 750v 1997

Hi guys.

Weather was hot today so I decided to take the bike out. I was at traffic lights, and the bike just cut out. I tried to re-start, the engine was turning over but not firing. I left the bike for about 15 mins and she started fine so I took her home. Once home, she cut out again. Same as before, tried a re-start but nothing, left the bike for 10 mins and bingo, started.

I just started the bike up again and she idled up to 107oc then the fan kicked in and brought her down to 100oc. But as soon as the fan stopped, she started climbing again to 107oc. Also she idles like shes missing. If I leave the bike cool to about 80oc, she starts. But anything over that and it's a no no.

Any ideas what the problem may be, or what I can do or what to look/check for?

Gutted I cant take her out in the nice weather Sad

Cheers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:20 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be

Buggered thermostate.
Air block.
Low water.
Rad/expansion cap seal gone.
Fan temp/switch buggered.
Water pump on the way out.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: overheat Reply with quote

Karma hi dude,

so, is thermostate working properly ( opening at what degrees )and good flow when open, any cold patches on rad when hot!

valve clearances where done when? and hows the fuel?

some pics would be good for the site....... Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Re: bike running hot Reply with quote

llewellyn wrote:
RE: Srad 750v 1997

Hi guys.

Weather was hot today so I decided to take the bike out. I was at traffic lights, and the bike just cut out. I tried to re-start, the engine was turning over but not firing. I left the bike for about 15 mins and she started fine so I took her home. Once home, she cut out again. Same as before, tried a re-start but nothing, left the bike for 10 mins and bingo, started.

I just started the bike up again and she idled up to 107oc then the fan kicked in and brought her down to 100oc. But as soon as the fan stopped, she started climbing again to 107oc. Also she idles like shes missing. If I leave the bike cool to about 80oc, she starts. But anything over that and it's a no no.

Any ideas what the problem may be, or what I can do or what to look/check for?

Gutted I cant take her out in the nice weather Sad

Cheers.


timing or fuel mixture? A faulty ECU can also cause cutting out and is often an intermittent problem.
____________________
2011 KTM 990 Dakar
2009 BMW 1200 GS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

russell210276
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

valve clearances

but i would lean more towards a fault coil thats breaking down when hot then when it cools works again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:46 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

russell210276 wrote:
valve clearances

but i would lean more towards a fault coil thats breaking down when hot then when it cools works again.


Specifically inlet valve clearances are probably too tight.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

llewellyn
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

1888 wrote:
Could be

Buggered thermostate.
Air block.
Low water.
Rad/expansion cap seal gone.
Fan temp/switch buggered.
Water pump on the way out.


wow that some list, will go through them 1 by 1 this afternoon and let you know what I find. Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

llewellyn
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Re: overheat Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
Karma hi dude,

so, is thermostate working properly ( opening at what degrees )and good flow when open, any cold patches on rad when hot!

valve clearances where done when? and hows the fuel?

some pics would be good for the site....... Smile


To be honest I don't know if the therm stat is working, any way to check? I'' check the rad for patches this afternoon and let you know how I get on. The fuel seems fine, and I havent got a clue when valve clearances were done. And here's the bike Wink

https://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i408/dennisleej/1-2.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

llewellyn
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:05 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Re: bike running hot Reply with quote

Kradmelder wrote:
llewellyn wrote:
RE: Srad 750v 1997

Hi guys.

Weather was hot today so I decided to take the bike out. I was at traffic lights, and the bike just cut out. I tried to re-start, the engine was turning over but not firing. I left the bike for about 15 mins and she started fine so I took her home. Once home, she cut out again. Same as before, tried a re-start but nothing, left the bike for 10 mins and bingo, started.

I just started the bike up again and she idled up to 107oc then the fan kicked in and brought her down to 100oc. But as soon as the fan stopped, she started climbing again to 107oc. Also she idles like shes missing. If I leave the bike cool to about 80oc, she starts. But anything over that and it's a no no.

Any ideas what the problem may be, or what I can do or what to look/check for?

Gutted I cant take her out in the nice weather Sad

Cheers.


timing or fuel mixture? A faulty ECU can also cause cutting out and is often an intermittent problem.


I'' check this out this afternoon and get back. Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:07 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth doing the simple stuff fist mate as you could be spending cash on this that and the other only to find you had air in the system. Worth Draining the water and get fresh stuff if you dont know when last done. If you have the manual it should tell you how to test the thermostat. You stick it in a pan of water with a thermomoter and watch what temp it opens at. Your manual should tell you the right temp.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

llewellyn
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:07 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

russell210276 wrote:
valve clearances

but i would lean more towards a fault coil thats breaking down when hot then when it cools works again.


Stupid question I know, but how would I go about clearing the valves? Coil, would that be the ignition coil?

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

llewellyn
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:08 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
russell210276 wrote:
valve clearances

but i would lean more towards a fault coil thats breaking down when hot then when it cools works again.


Specifically inlet valve clearances are probably too tight.


How would one go about loosening them?

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

llewellyn
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:12 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

1888 wrote:
Worth doing the simple stuff fist mate as you could be spending cash on this that and the other only to find you had air in the system. Worth Draining the water and get fresh stuff if you dont know when last done. If you have the manual it should tell you how to test the thermostat. You stick it in a pan of water with a thermomoter and watch what temp it opens at. Your manual should tell you the right temp.


Appreciate that thanks.

I have the manual, so I'll take a look. I'll also start draining the replacing the water and coolant and see how that goes. Not nice having the bike just sitting there in hot weather and cant ride Sad

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:24 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject, Anyone know what the average running temp is? And whats too hot?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check your HT leads going into the spark plug caps just in case one of them have come lose or has corrossion at the end of the wire, as that would cause it to idle wildly with poor electrical connection to the firing of the plugs.

With having to leave the bike for a while before being able to restart it sounds almost like fuel starvation, and so do you have an inline fuel filter I would replace or it's the wrong size inline filter not allowing enough fuel to flow through.


Last edited by Scotsman37 on 12:23 - 31 Aug 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsman37 wrote:


With having to leave the bike for a while before being to restart sounds almost like fuel starvation, and so do you have an inline fuel valve filter I would replace or it's the wrong size inline filter not allowing enough fuel to flow through.


Thats a good shout. If it does it on the way home listen for hiss at the tank. Open cap and see if it starts. If it does then your tank vent is blocked or a problem with your vacume.

Vent first.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:36 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

1888 wrote:
Scotsman37 wrote:


With having to leave the bike for a while before being to restart sounds almost like fuel starvation, and so do you have an inline fuel valve filter I would replace or it's the wrong size inline filter not allowing enough fuel to flow through.


Thats a good shout. If it does it on the way home listen for hiss at the tank. Open cap and see if it starts. If it does then your tank vent is blocked or a problem with your vacume.

Vent first.


ja good options. Fuel starvation is anything from too lean a mixture, which is worse as engine gets hot, to a fuel filter problem or a vacuum problem in the tank resricting flow.
____________________
2011 KTM 990 Dakar
2009 BMW 1200 GS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 01 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely off topic but love the autobot sticker
____________________
Current: Honda City Fly CLR125 2003 Honda CB600F Hornet 2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2 + 1991 Kawasaki GPZ500
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

llewellyn
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:18 - 01 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:
Completely off topic but love the autobot sticker


Hahaha I know, it was on the bike when I bought it. But afraid to peel is off just incase I peel the paint off in the process.

So I guess I'm stuck with a Transformer Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:10 - 01 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you even consider removing it?! I'm gonna look where to get one for my next bike lol
____________________
Current: Honda City Fly CLR125 2003 Honda CB600F Hornet 2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2 + 1991 Kawasaki GPZ500
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 01 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you even consider removing it?! I'm gonna look where to get one for my next bike lol
____________________
Current: Honda City Fly CLR125 2003 Honda CB600F Hornet 2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2 + 1991 Kawasaki GPZ500
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

llewellyn
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 01 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drained the rad/coolant and flushed it out before re-filling 50/50. The bike stil idles hot, but I'm thinking that maybe that's normal for a 97?

Took her out for a spin and on the motorway she reached 81oc max with a low of 74oc. And she didn't seem to go over that. So maybe the mixture from the previous owner was too rich or not rich enough. I know for a 97 GSXR the running temp should be around the 90oc or maybe more on a hot day, so with a bad coolant mix this may have caused the problem. Thankfully she seems to be running ok for now. But when I got more time I will take her out for a propper run and see how she goes.

I cant check the plugs for the wild idling yet as the prev owner has rounded off the allankey bolt on the fuel tank (amongst others) so I cant lift it. When I got time I'll sort it out and get back.

Cheers for the help guys, I really do appreciate it. Top class forum. Think I'm gonna hang around for a while Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

llewellyn
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:44 - 01 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
Boats are "She"s, mass-produced bikes and motors are "It"s Wink


Fair enough, but I treat my bike like I treat my woman. Fill her up a couple of times a week, rub her down as often as possible, take care of niggling problems when they arise and she runs smooth, behaves as she should and gives me a 1st class ride in return. Now if that doesn't deserve the title ''She'', what does? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 1.39 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 131.88 Kb