|
|
| Author |
Message |
| MAR5H7 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MAR5H7 Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 23 Jan 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:56 - 03 Sep 2012 Post subject: Thundercat New Front Pads Judder |
 |
|
Hey there
Iv known for a while my front pads needed replacing, as there was little to no friction on the brake and the MOT inspector hinted towards them a few months back.
I also noticed a Juddering feel when I was using the front brake, the more I pulled the more noticeable it became. so I stopped using it until I got the new pads as I thought this would solve it.... I was wrong
I never had a problem when I first purchased the bike but then it just suddenly appeared around 2 months ago
With the new pads, they are sticking to the disc and pulling away is rather a chore on the bike, like it doesnt want to go but then budges through :/
As for the calipers, when removing the old pads, I noticed on each caliper, on one side, the pots were stuck, and to back this up, one of the old pads still had about 1/2 the graphite on it still
Anyone have any ideas/ solutions??? would really love my front brake back smooth and to not put more stress on the engine from pulling away at lights
Thanks ____________________ Ex: CBR 125 R 06', ZXR 400 96' (RIP), Bandit 650 06'
Owned: SRAD 600 97'
Current: YZF Thundercat 600 96' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nick 50 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nick 50 World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MAR5H7 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MAR5H7 Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 23 Jan 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:42 - 03 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Nick 50 wrote: | If the pistons are stuck, clean them. If I were you I would strip the calipers, clean them, stick pads back in and then bleed the system.
Have you checked the brake discs? Wheel alignment? (not sure if this would cause the symptoms you mention) Front wheel bearings? Head Stock bearings?
How old are the tyres? Is one side more worn than the other? |
Thats what I feared I might need to do, but if its gotta b done, its gotta be done
Tyre condition - desperately need replacing, however its worn evenly, not more one side than the other
If it helps, one of the pot seals im pretty sure has perished, to back if up, while replacing the pads, I noticed fluid come onto my wheel during the process... it only happened once, maybe this could be the cause of uneven stopping??? ____________________ Ex: CBR 125 R 06', ZXR 400 96' (RIP), Bandit 650 06'
Owned: SRAD 600 97'
Current: YZF Thundercat 600 96' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| unitynotsocri... |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 unitynotsocri... Banned

Joined: 29 Jun 2011 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:49 - 03 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
uneven pressure on the disc due to sticky calipers cause vibration and can warp discs quicker.On a single disc a seized/sticky piston may be hard to detect when riding but on a twin disc front end..dodgy/seized calipers can cause far more vibration and uneven braking,head bearings have more of a clunk.
Follow Nick50's advice and you'll soon have a much crisper front end...worth the trouble of overhauling the calipers,discs,front wheel bearings and checking the head bearings...then it should be good for another 17k.. ____________________ nearly a normal tax paying tosser.......with ferrileness suzi100,cg125,cb125scb100n,cb175,cd100,cj250t,kh250,c15,125 bantam,super 6,rickman gs750,xt500,250rs,dt175,lifan125,dolomite1850,metro,Morris220ld,morrisfg,leyland princess,range rover,corsa,vw camper .now struggling with legs. MORE ORDER = MORE CHAOS |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| janner_10 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 janner_10 World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Sep 2011 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nick 50 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nick 50 World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:02 - 03 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Personally I see the front brake as the most critical mechanism on a bike. Your bike has something wrong which means it wont go, not a big deal. having something wrong which means it wont stop properly .......... that's how I look at it.
Stripping the calipers, cleaning the pistons, fitting new o-rings doesn't take that long like janner has stated.
Not only will you have much better brakes, but you will have the piece of mind knowing that you sorted it and they are spot on. ____________________ Current Bikes: ZX7r 97 (Black Beauty), VFR400 NC24 (The banana)
Previous Bikes: Aprilia Tuono 03 (The Beast), CBR600f (97)
First bike: A GZ125 Lemon....... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dangerousdave |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dangerousdave Traffic Copper

Joined: 22 Apr 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MAR5H7 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MAR5H7 Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 23 Jan 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:41 - 04 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Nick 50 wrote: | Personally I see the front brake as the most critical mechanism on a bike. Your bike has something wrong which means it wont go, not a big deal. having something wrong which means it wont stop properly. |
I know this is a big problem, dont get me wrong, but i dont ride erratically and always leave plenty of time to stop, if need me I can use the brake and it will work
as for it not going, the bike itself is fine, its when I pull the front brake to stop at lights, the pads get stuck to the discs and the bike is struggling to go, but after a second the pads are forced back and it runs fine until the next time I touch the front brake :/
I do want to sort them, but Im no expert at calipers. I know how to pop the pots out and that is it lol :S ____________________ Ex: CBR 125 R 06', ZXR 400 96' (RIP), Bandit 650 06'
Owned: SRAD 600 97'
Current: YZF Thundercat 600 96' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| el_oso |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 el_oso World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 May 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|