Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Engine ticking / clicking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

MissBex
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 13 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:54 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Engine ticking / clicking Reply with quote

Heya all,

Was warming up my Bandit 600 yesterday before going out and as I was kneeling beside the engine checking over the bike, I noticed a noise I havn't noticed before.

There is a fast Clicking / Ticking noise coming from the front of the engine.

I tried the screwdriver to engine technique but cant seem to pinpoint a place where I can hear it the most.

It doesn't go away with clutch pulled in.

Is it something I should worry about?
____________________
Direct Access Passed - 30/05/14
00' Honda Hornet 600


Last edited by MissBex on 12:19 - 03 Sep 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MissBex
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 13 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb9LQGytSi0&feature=youtu.be
____________________
Direct Access Passed - 30/05/14
00' Honda Hornet 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:27 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely exhaust gasket leaking slightly. Mine does this.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: noise Reply with quote

:karma: hi dude,

any popin or bangin on the overun, even slightly??
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UrbanRacer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to find out if the bike has an automatic cam chain tensioner, that can cause some ticking just before it adjusts.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MissBex
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 13 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure to be honest about whether it has a automatic cam chain tensioner...

I haven't noticed any popping or banging.

I've also found out that letting the bike warm right up and the clicking seems to go.
____________________
Direct Access Passed - 30/05/14
00' Honda Hornet 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit camchains and tensioner blades last for ages, they're not a weak spot. They do have an automatic tensioner that can stick or have the spring weaken, it's awkward to get at low down in the rear centre of the cylinders but it is possible to do without stripping things off. Remove it as per the manual so you keep the right tension to see if it's free etc . Doesn't particularly sound like a camchain or tensioner problem it make it sound a lot more rattly with the speaker being so close.
Ticking is usually a loose exhaust collar as mentioned, check them before you mess with anything else as it's the easiest.
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MissBex
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 13 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:40 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

unitynotsocrippledatmo wrote:
from the sound of it i think it needs another camchain or at least a tensioner blade to reduce the noise.Its worth doing the whole head if its got a high mileage,shims, de coke, valve guides,

wether the tensioner i automatic or not sounds a little irrelevant.automatic tensioners have a history of sticking.


It's got 15,000 miles. The only info I know about what it's had done was the guy I got it from said it's had new needle valve and seals on all 4 carbs.

I'm not at all mechanically minded so all what you mentioned doesn't make much sense to me, but sounds like it could costly.

I might take it down to the local bike garage tommorrow and ask them what they think about it, been trying to gather some info from researching online and asking on here so I can see if they say the same things.
____________________
Direct Access Passed - 30/05/14
00' Honda Hornet 600


Last edited by MissBex on 23:44 - 03 Sep 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterious_rider wrote:
Most likely exhaust gasket leaking slightly. Mine does this.


This^^^ is first thing to check. See if you can tighten the exhaust nuts a 1/2 turn as they can come lose. Its the cheapest fix to try before spunking good money on can chains. New gaskets are a couple of quid on eBay. Look at pot number 3 spark plug. The cap looks slightly lose. You spark may be jumping about. Doubt it but might be worth a look.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Spudda
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW .... I had a Yamaha Thundercat (RIP 2004) which had an 'engine noise'. Turned out to be pinholes in my down pipes which disappeared after I had them welded in

I'm guessing theres no fairing on your bandit, might be worth a look even if its to cross it of the list of possible causes
____________________
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©
www.tankslap.co.uk
Triumph Daytona 650 Union Jack Nose Cone.Metzeler M5's.Carbon Bling.ASV Levers.LED Adapted Rear.LED Adapted Indicators.RIM Tape.PiperCross Filter. Smoked Aero Screen.Harris Hanger.Carbon Wrap.Renthal Sprockets.Coded Chain Guard.Shortened Carbon Can
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MissBex
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 13 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:47 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea there's no fairing, just naked Bandit.

I'll check the pipes etc... see if I can see anything not right.

Thanks
____________________
Direct Access Passed - 30/05/14
00' Honda Hornet 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 72.89 Kb