Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


GPZ500 sticky clutch

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Benno
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 12 Sep 2012    Post subject: GPZ500 sticky clutch Reply with quote

A about 2 weeks ago when I bought it, I rode it up the road and back, got up to 3rd gear, all fine. Seller warned me the clutch can stick and you need to give it a good kick to get it into first when starting up if it is cold and has been sitting a while.

That seems to be what is happening. I can't get it into first without it lurching and stalling. I've just made a number of attempts. Additionally there is a whining sound after several attempts, which seemed to stop when I opened the fuel tank.

tl;dr how to fix sticky clutch? (If that is even the problem)
____________________
I'm autistic. That means I'm smarter than you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Benno
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 12 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a suggestion from a mate who used to own bikes:

- Drain and replace oil
- Run engine on idle to circulate oil, turn off, top up oil
- Turn back on and run engine for 10 mins to warm up
- Place front wheel against sturdy wall
- Hold in clutch and front brake
- Drop into second gear and release clutch

... Confused
____________________
I'm autistic. That means I'm smarter than you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 12 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all do that, mister. Well, mine does, both points.

It's had a recent oil and filter change and there's 5100 miles on the clock.

Brakes on hard, clutch right in (tighten if necessary), rev it like you mean it, and kick it into 1st like a naughty puppy.

Whining is just the tank breathing. Heck, it'll do it if I so much as nudge it.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike


Last edited by Rogerborg on 07:12 - 13 Sep 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:12 - 12 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Roger says, they all do that Mister. The plates stick together if they're left standing more than a couple of weeks. Easily sorted.

Start and warm up engine.

Place bike on mainstand.

Stand astride the bike and hold the front brake on.

Pull in clutch and engage first gear but keep holding that clutch and, the rear wheel will start spinning in the air (see why you're astride the bike and still holding the front brake on?).

Once it's up to speed, slam the back brake on hard. The rear wheel will stop and one of two things will happen. 1) The engine stalls, try again from the start. 2) The engine does not stall, your clutch is freed off.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:26 - 12 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does it a bit (nowhere near that bad, a bit of a jerk forward) but I find giving the clutch a good working before I start it up (or put it into first) eases it off a bit Thumbs Up
Actually, I left it a week or so on holiday once and nearly ended up in the back garage wall now I think about it Laughing
Also, you probably won't be able to get second if you're not moving thanks to the 'Positive Neutral Finder'. So don't worry about that if you can't Wink
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benno
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:27 - 13 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps, I was worried it was more serious than it was when I heard the tank whining. I'll post results tomorrow.
____________________
I'm autistic. That means I'm smarter than you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.05 Sec - Server Load: 0.65 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 50.28 Kb