Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


ignition and backfire problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:09 - 23 Oct 2004    Post subject: ignition and backfire problems Reply with quote

Okay, sometimes it starts when I fire the ignition, other times it does bugger all. Doesn't even tick over. Nothing at all. And then when I get it going and pulling away, when it hits about 7k rpm it backfires. Oh and the left rear indicator doesn't work/keeps blowing.

ANy suggestions would be grateful...other than sell it on on ebay
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Odie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 23 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike has the problem.
____________________
You are so ugly when you were born the doctor said "I?m gonna drop it, if it falls is a rat, if it flies is a bat."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 23 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odie wrote:
What bike has the problem.


If you look at my signature you'll see what bike it is, and even a picture too if you want. Sorry if that sounds sarcastic.
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:00 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

can no-one help?
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mantzy wrote:


If you look at my signature you'll see what bike it is, and even a picture too if you want. Sorry if that sounds sarcastic.


I think the above sealed your fate. Rolling Eyes
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know...I'm sorry! When I wrote it I was being a miserable git. I apologise. Hope I didn't cause any offence. Could someone help me though? I've got a Sachs XTC and it keeps backfiring in first while I'm pulling away and i have to bump start it all the time as the leccy start won't work. Don't think it's a specific problem with XTCs in general...and the garage I go to cost a bloody fortune in labour costs, so don't really want to go there if I can order the parts and fix it myself.

Any hints?
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:35 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly sounds electrical. You sure Sachs isn't an Itallian company in disguise? Laughing

Well, could be any number of things. I think a systematic approach is best.

First off. Idiot switches. I am willing to bet that bike is riddled with them. There will be one under the clutch and one at the sidestand which act as 'safety interlocks' to stop you 1) riding off with the sidestand down. and 2) Attempting to start the bike in gear without the clutch pulled in. Either could have gone tits-up. Sidestand switches are a favourite. Unless you are a complete numpty who is going to ride off with the stand down more than once (you always do it once), solder the two wires that go into the switch together and shrinktube them to bypass the switch, if it isn't causing a problem now, you can bet it will (and on a cold dark night in the middle of nowhere).

Battery? it is the time of year for spontaneous battery death. Try it with a different battery on (or jump starting it from a car). If this works, buy a new battery. We recently had a problem with my mates bike, you could turn it over on the starter with no-joy. Changed the battery and away she went.

Regulator? voltage regulator randomly dumping current to earth? measure the voltage accross the battery as you rev the bike. It should go up to around 14 volts.

Solenoid? Follow the big fat wire coming from the battery positive, it should connect to the solenoid, there will be other wires attaching here too (sometimes even a fuse). Check all the terminals are free from corrosion as they are prone to it.

I would then check the usual plug, cap, lead, coil combo. Then a systematic check and clean of all the terminals you can find. Finally worry about the CDI unit.

I bet it is the sidestand switch Wink
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
'safety interlocks' to stop you 1) riding off with the sidestand down. and 2) Attempting to start the bike in gear without the clutch pulled in.

Nope, neither of them. Riding off with stand down is impossible...uber-spring pulls it back with toe-breaking power. And there just isn't one under the clutch. It PREFERS to start when in gear at the moment.

stinkwheel wrote:
Battery? it is the time of year for spontaneous battery death.

Shouldn't be, it's a newish battery, but will try charging it again

It has got worse this evening. Before it only backfired in 1st and 2nd which was bad enough, now it's backfiring throughout. May leave work early tomorrow to take it in to the shop. I can't ride it as it is. Everytime it fires it jolts forward, not very nice on roundabouts. I can get them to fix my left rear indicator while they're at it. Keeps on blowing. I'm sure its all fuse related. This all started when I changed my indicators to Motrax ones.

It's getting me exceedingly pissed off thats for sure. I can't sell it in its current condition.
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:05 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bike that developed a peculiar fault assosciated with the indicators when one phase of the rectifier broke down. The flasher come on (with the switch off) and every time it flashed, the engine cut-out.

I have no idea to this day why it happened.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say (after rebuilding bike electrics). the right rear indicator blowing would either be a bad earth (which would also result in backfires as the CDI + generator cannot generate a charge cos theres no where for it to go). or the solenoid coulod be bad. i've gone through 2 in a year (i should really fix that.. oh well bikes totaled now;)). these, you just undo the 2 bolts, and attack it with a wire brush. on the terminals, to remove any crap that's there.

there also might be a lose wire shorting on the fram (possible on the indicator loom. just check this one over as well. is the bike kept out of rain, or is it always outside (your generator might be sat in a puddle of water Evil or Very Mad )
____________________
FS1E -> SR125 -> CB400N -> CB650 -> FZR600 Genises -> VFR400 NC21 -> CBR900RR Fireblade -> Renault Clio 1.4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 348 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 68.29 Kb