Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


End bars

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Skyblue
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 09 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 01 Oct 2012    Post subject: End bars Reply with quote

This may sound silly to you but it's been 3 weeks now that I've passed my test and one way of me doing the slow riding was to when i gripped the throttle I had my small finger on the End bar & it helped me from using too much or too little throttle .If i only had my hand on the throttle i was either trusting forward or using too little.I need to know can I get theses END BARS fitted on a new bike(Kawasaki W800) I don't want to sound silly asking these question at the showroom,I had passed using a riding school Motorbike & never having owned my own so forgive me for asking silly questions.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ocatoro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can fit them to anything....

but i'd say that's not really the best way to be riding Shocked

all you are doing is avoiding learning how to use the clutch and throttle properly...
____________________
CBT - 17/09/12 * Theory - 23/10/12 * Mod1 - 05/03/13 * Mod2 - 25/03/13 * BOSH!
Current - None Sad but shed project H100 (first bike Smile )
Past - ER5, '93 ZZR600, '92 CB400 SF, ZZR600 (again), yellow Monster 620, Blackbird - black Monster 620ie - '96 ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:47 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this as stock?
https://www.seastarsuperbikes.co.uk/Kawasaki%202011/W800/w800%20hbar.jpg

See if there's any sort of end cap on the throttle and clutch tubes. If not, you'll just have to slice the ends off (or carefully cut a hole in them), then you can fit "universal bar ends" (Google for that) into the handlebar tube.

While you're about it though, have you considered fitting heated grips? I'd thoroughly recommend them if you're planning to ride through winter, and that bumps the operation up to the level where you can palm it all off to a garage with your Man Honour intact, and say "Oh, and just pop these bar ends in while you're about it, my good man." Wink
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:44 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow speed control is all about the clutch, not the throttle.

You can set the throttle at about 2-3k rpm and then slip the clutch(just past the biting point) to control your speed. If you get it right you should be able to move around walking pace - drag the rear brake lightly to keep you stable if you need to.

Should be able to "blip" the throttle if the clutch is set right and it will not affect your speed.

Don't fit bar ends to overcome a bad riding habbit.

Did they not teach you this during your training?
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

snikks
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concur with others, you probably can fit bar ends without much hassle, but it's probably a better idea to learn to control the bike better.

From what you're describing, it sounds to me as if your problem may be that you're leaning on the handlebars to support yourself, making fine throttle control very difficult as you have your weight on the throttle. Therefore you've trained yourself to lean partially on the bar end, and use your hand/fingers to adjust the throttle, to make it easier.

I could be wrong, but I suggest this because it's what I used to do, when I very first started riding, having got used to riding racing bicycles with very leant forward positions. Gave me terrible hand cramps when I rode slow for too long.

What you should be doing, is being very light on the bars, support your weight on the seat, that's what it's there for. Grip the tank with your knees, and you'll find you can control the throttle far better when you're not leaning on it.
____________________
- CBT: 02/01/11 Theory: 26/04/11 Mod 1: 19/05/11 Mod 2: 19/08/11
- 2007 Honda XL125V Varadero (Sold), 1999 Yamaha FZS600 Fazer (Sold), 2001 CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

psychodame
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 29 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

snikks wrote:
it sounds to me as if your problem may be that you're leaning on the handlebars to support yourself, making fine throttle control very difficult as you have your weight on the throttle. Therefore you've trained yourself to lean partially on the bar end, and use your hand/fingers to adjust the throttle, to make it easier.

Gave me terrible hand cramps when I rode slow for too long.

What you should be doing, is being very light on the bars, support your weight on the seat, that's what it's there for. Grip the tank with your knees, and you'll find you can control the throttle far better when you're not leaning on it.


This sounds as if I'm doing this in part too... I get terrible hand cramps but have put it down to an age thing rather than bad habits, but having just read this it's entirely possible that it's a bit of both. I'm going to try your suggestions all the same, as gripping the tank with my knees seems a better plan than being tempted to do a death grip on my handlebars which I still do at times when slow riding.
As ever, thanks! I always seem to learn useful stuff on here.
____________________
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity.
-Anonymous
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Slow speed control is all about the clutch, not the throttle.


Neutral
I disagree, slow speed control is all about the throttle, not the clutch
Unless you want to grind your clutch to death
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Matt B wrote:
Slow speed control is all about the clutch, not the throttle.


Neutral
I disagree, slow speed control is all about the throttle, not the clutch
Unless you want to grind your clutch to death


I disagree with all of you.

Slow speed control is all about looking where you are going, not at your hands and the speed is controlled using the back brake.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 16 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow speed control is best achieved by walking.

On my CBT, the instructor told us to set the throttle with the engine busy (considerably faster than a fast idle), and then to moderate the speed using the clutch. He also said motorcycle clutches are designed for that. It may or may not be true, but it sounds like that's what the OP has been told. If that's what you're doing, and you've let the clutch out a little to gain some speed and then you accidentally wind the throttle open further, you may shoot off. I would agree though that you need to gain the muscle memory not to do it, rather than fit a bar-end to overcome it, and also that the back brake is a key part of moderating speed at slow speeds.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I disagree with all of you.

Slow speed control is all about looking where you are going, not at your hands and the speed is controlled using the back brake.


I think if you can't ride slowly without using the clutch you've not mastered slow speed control.

not that i'm amazing at it, depends how slow is slow, I try to avoid putting my feet down for as long as possible though

But sometimes that makes me wobble the bars left and right to keep steady Razz

Noone actually looks at their hands lol surely?, speedo and revs maybe, they are distracting

Yes the CBT teaches that as above, had the same thing, but I think that's for ease rather than getting 'better' at it

teflon-mike had a post about it in the BCF abyss somewhere

Why do I space my lines like this, looks really annoying

Dont really use my back brake in slow speed, it's too squeaky and rubbish, need to sort it Thumbs Down
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the bike as well. If you have a Ducati with a high first gear and a dry clutch you had better get your left fore arm strength up cause you will be slipping the clutch all the time.

My bike can pootle along at walking speed on the throttle alone.

There's no real right way IMO, as long as you have good control.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he doesn't fit bar ends, how is he going to attach the tassles? Bigger picture, chaps.

On my CBT, they had us do lap after lap at high throttle and speeding up and slowing down using just the clutch, and then maintaining a constant speed by dragging the clutch while revving the nuts off the bike. I thought it was heavy handed at the time, but it was actually excellent training.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:51 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the back brake, although at very low rpm a bit of clutch slip and a whiff of revs helps smooth things out.

To the OP though, cant you just use your index finger against the throttle body to achieve the same effect?

Zen Dog
____________________
Current - '94 VFR750FR (Dead), '00 VFR800FI, '11 600 Hornet - Previous - '11 CBF125, '10 Street Triple R, '92 MZ ETZ301, '05 TTR250, NSR125R, KMX125, "Honda" Win
My bike trip around S.E. Asia 2010/2011
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCW
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Re: End bars Reply with quote

Skyblue wrote:
I don't want to sound silly asking these question at the showroom.

I found my life got a lot easier when I stopped worrying what other people thought of me and just went ahead and asked what I needed to know. If anybody tries to make me look stupid or sneers, then it says more about their ignorance than mine and they have lost my custom.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:

I think if you can't ride slowly without using the clutch you've not mastered slow speed control.


If you can U-turn a touring bike, at walking pace, two-up with luggage without putting a foot down and without slipping the clutch, you're a liar.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skyblue
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 09 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had trouble with the u turn & the figure of eight.As soon as I found a way that worked for me I used it.I know that now I've got my full license the real learning begins!Thanks for the replays
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cimbian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busy engine, slip the clutch and only cover the rear brake for the occasional dab if needed. Worked for me. Also really important for major to minor left and right junctions.
____________________
22PlusY
Current: Moto Guzzi 1100 Breva. Previous: Honda XL650V TransAlp
Bearded, Balding, Born again Buddhist Biker
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:55 - 03 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Matt B wrote:
Slow speed control is all about the clutch, not the throttle.


Neutral
I disagree, slow speed control is all about the throttle, not the clutch
Unless you want to grind your clutch to death


Then sorry but you have been taught the wrong method of slow speed control for a bike.

Check the official DSA guide if you like - it tells you that your examiner will be looking for skilled use of the Throttle, Clutch & Rear Brake on the Mod1.

Slow speed control is about balancing these 3 - busy engine, slipping the clutch and dragging the rear brake. Throttle does not affect slow speed, the ammount of power you provide the rear wheel via the clutch does.

You may be able to move a 125 round slowly using the throttle but please let me come and watch when you try it on a fully loaded tourer (as mentioned).
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 03 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing it all with the throttle will certainly teach fine throttle control. But if the bike isn't smooth at very low revs, it may not be feasible to do neatly without also using the back brake quite a bit.

A problem once I had was moving the handlebars changed my position on the throttle a little - I wasn't in a death-grip or anything, light as can be, but it still changes all the angles up and it's hard to keep everything constant. So now I put my index finger on the front brake lever to create a fixed reference point for the rest of my hand.

Unfortunately that risks panic-pulling the front brake, especially if you're a beginner, so I wouldn't recommend that form for the test.

On my scooter, for really fine control I use piles of rear brake, especially since it doesn't have a manual clutch. Biggest thing that rear brake gives you is keeping the transmission taut; transmission slack, if you ever let the rear wheel go faster than the engine, can make things really jerky.
____________________
Bikes: S1000R, SH350; Exes: Vity 125, PS125, YBR125, ER6f, VFR800, Brutale 920, CB600F, SH300x4
Best road ever ridden: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MhNxUEYtQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:43 - 03 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

I disagree with all of you.

Slow speed control is all about looking where you are going, not at your hands and the speed is controlled using the back brake.


I think if you can't ride slowly without using the clutch you've not mastered slow speed control.

not that i'm amazing at it, depends how slow is slow, I try to avoid putting my feet down for as long as possible though



Erm, you need to revisit this then. Good slow speed control is a balance of throttle and clutch, assisted by use of the rear brake when necessary to control speed and maintain balance. It's also important to look through the manoeuvre rather than focusing on any obstacles.

If you're not doing that then that's why you're not amazing at it Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

baggylastard
Nova Slayer



Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 03 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Matt B wrote:
Slow speed control is all about the clutch, not the throttle.


Neutral
I disagree, slow speed control is all about the throttle, not the clutch
Unless you want to grind your clutch to death


Wet clutch for a reason mate (Y)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 03 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

baggylastard wrote:


Wet clutch for a reason mate (Y)


Same principle applied to my 100RT though, and that had a single plate dry clutch. If you think about it, you hold a car on the clutch on a hilly junction. Good clutch/throttle balance is key to fine control of any manual geared vehicle Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:17 - 04 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bar ends just make the bike two inches wider anyway. Screw that I value my super hero filtering action too much. Smile

I feel sick here's someone who's got a full licence and still can't intuitivly control their bike at slow speed while I'm still on L plates and when in traffic hardly have to think about.

Roll on my next theory test!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 04 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Erm, you need to revisit this then. Good slow speed control is a balance of throttle and clutch, assisted by use of the rear brake when necessary to control speed and maintain balance. It's also important to look through the manoeuvre rather than focusing on any obstacles.

If you're not doing that then that's why you're not amazing at it Wink

That's why my signature says what it says Laughing

It's not that I don't use the clutch at all at slow speed, just that I try to avoid it if possible and use the throttle if we're crawling in traffic, but I can see why this wouldn't work for massive bikes, saying that they should be more steady if anything

It's harder to use just the throttle to control your speed, so that's what I do most the time, the clutch only really comes in when I think i'll stall or it starts chugging
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 363 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.55 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.01 Kb