|
|
| Author |
Message |
| daveiw |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 daveiw Nova Slayer

Joined: 12 May 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:52 - 28 Oct 2004 Post subject: Clueless biker needs advice... PLEEEEEASE!!!! |
 |
|
OK, I passed my test earlier this year, been riding a 1999 Suzuki Bandit 600. Been good to me, I do kinda like it, but the thing is I really like cruisers and the old classics!
I've looked at a 1988 Yamaha fzx750z today, took it for a ride and well, loved it Looks nice, sounds nice!
My point is that it's up for £1695 ono (sounds expensive?)
It has a few scrapes on it (end cans scraped)
The indicators have been changed for some dumb little things with black lenses and the speedos are ugly white things that read in kilometers, also some crappy twin tiny headlamps!
Now the bikes done 30,000 kilometers, has tax until end of jan, new MOT, both tyres are BRAND spanking new (hence couldn't enjoy test ride too much )
It looks bloody nice to me, sounds great to! But needs really tidying up, I've looked on the net for some pics and info - most people seem to think they are good power cruisers! Are they?
Are they hard to get parts for? I typed in fz and fzx into ebay and got bugger all back! Does that mean I'm stuffed for bits? Or do other parts fit as standard?
Sorry for the long post and questions... But I really need help to make my mind up, I can straight swap my Bandit (maybe get a bit of store credit) for the Yamaha, but Is it REALLY dumb to swap a 1999 bike that's damn near mint for a 1988 bike?
See I reckon that I paid £2400 for me bandit this year and know I'm gonna lose a few hundred at least on it! But an older bike done up can only go up in value, yeah? ____________________ "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:28 - 28 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
The old FZ / FZX engine is really tough. The bearing behind the front sprocket goes if you run the chain too tight, and the starter clutch wears out. Neither are that expensive but both require a full engine strip down to fix.
To be honest that FZX sounds well over priced. I am not up on the prices of those but FZs were more expensive new, far more popular and you would have great difficulty getting that much for an immaculate one now, let alone a tatty import.
For FZ750 stuff try https://www.fz750.net . Friendly bunch and some might have FZX experience as well.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:04 - 28 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I would agree, sounds pricey to me for a 'tatty' custom bike that is six years old with 30k miles on it. Mind you, I don't shop in that market much, not my cup of tea.
Another one to look at is the Honda Magna, custom styled V4 or for a 'proper' muscle bike, the V-max (as long as you like going very fast in straight lines).
In theory you can make a bike worth more by tarting it up, in practice, the cost of bike parts and the time involved makes it impractical. This is probably why the previous owner used crappy aftermarket parts for his repairs. In my experience these things are seldom as simple as they first appear and you can end up making it worse unless you do a first-class job of any repairs.
Shop around. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:37 - 29 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Quote: | From https://www.umgweb.com/0usedguidy.html
YAMAHA FZX750
1991 on, 749cc w/c DOHC four
80hp 130mph 45mpg 450lbs
Street version of the FZ in milder tune, max torque at 6000rpm, which might be a waste of the 20 valve head. The rather ersatz styling of the airfilter covers (if ever an engine demanded a single carb...) and odd bends in the tubular frame somewhat ruined the effect of street nastiness but it’s actually quite a practical bolide. Engine’s as tough as they come but caliper/disc rot and some electrical hassles at high miles. |
HTH  ____________________ ...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| daveiw |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 daveiw Nova Slayer

Joined: 12 May 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:52 - 29 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
OK, so not a great move then! Good job there's places like this around to advise
Thing is I really wanna new bike, now the criterea is...
1) More cc. 750 or more! (not to silly insurance though, as still year one on license, £175 tpft on Bandit 600)
2) Maybe a classic - I like the idea of an older bike
3) Would like to learn about bikes with it, but not buy one that needs shed loads of work as I know sod all about mechanics at the moment!
4) NOT a sports bike, Must be naked (sorry lads I know you all love them, I like to ride them and look at them, but I don't want one - yet!)
5) don't really wanna add too much money to it in case something goes wrong, I need some bucks in the bank to buy another bike if need be (also looking for a cheep (yeah right! ) 250-400cc trials bike)
You mission should you choose to accpet it, is to sort my spinning mind out and tell me what the hell I should buy!  ____________________ "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mchaggis |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mchaggis World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Finglonga |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Finglonga World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:36 - 29 Oct 2004 Post subject: Re: Clueless biker needs advice... PLEEEEEASE!!!! |
 |
|
| daveiw wrote: |
My point is that it's up for £1695 ono (sounds expensive?)
It has a few scrapes on it (end cans scraped)
The indicators have been changed for some dumb little things with black lenses and the speedos are ugly white things that read in kilometers, also some crappy twin tiny headlamps!
Now the bikes done 30,000 kilometers, has tax until end of jan, new MOT, both tyres are BRAND spanking new (hence couldn't enjoy test ride too much  )
|
Sounds like an import that may have been down the road. ...personally I would walk away.  ____________________ Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NickD |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NickD World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:00 - 29 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
With the more rare/ cult bikes, they're always way overpriced, so you might as well go straight to the top of the tree. For similar money for the year, more 'cruiser' looks, more power, and a better reputation..........
BUY A FECKING V- MAX,
you know you want to really.  ____________________ I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| daveiw |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 daveiw Nova Slayer

Joined: 12 May 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:47 - 29 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Love the look of that zrx100 https://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/html/emoticons/wub.gif Some nice bikes there.... ____________________ "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Finglonga |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Finglonga World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:20 - 29 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Used to have one ..... Not the best handling barge on the canal but can be helped by turning the eccentric chain ajusters through 180 degrees(raises back end giving quicker steering). IMO the best looking retro you can buy. Awsome bulletproof engine means a GOD at traffic light burnups, but bloody hard too keep the front wheel down.
Sold it as it WAS going to eat my license. *sold it three years ago and found it last Saturday in a shop in Stafford for the same price I got for it......Bugger *
(Only 1 colour to get good old Eddie)
https://perso.wanadoo.fr/jmduf/images/zrx1100.jpg ____________________ Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Finglonga |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Finglonga World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:20 - 30 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ross Vernon...opposite the prison, St Patrick Street.
Eddie Lawson ZRX1100 (W*** RNT)
Went for a wander while having my bike MOT'd at C G Chell and thought I would nip in too se what he had and there it was. The lad that had it off me part chopped it for a Harley..........Hmmmmmm very different animal.  ____________________ Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NickD |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NickD World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| daveiw |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 daveiw Nova Slayer

Joined: 12 May 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:32 - 31 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks fella's I'll keep looking, I'll post my next option and get views on that! I really appreciate it  ____________________ "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dandit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dandit Nearly there...

Joined: 04 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| daveiw |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 daveiw Nova Slayer

Joined: 12 May 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:54 - 01 Nov 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi mate - at the moment I can't decide what to do, I know I want something else but I don't know what Just seen today a brand spanking Triumph Americana in the showroom today and loved it... but it means finance! If I do sell, I'll bear you in mind, as long as I got the difference in the trade in price I wouldn't lose anything and you could get a cheep upgrade - both do alright!  ____________________ "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|