Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Clueless biker needs advice... PLEEEEEASE!!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

daveiw
Nova Slayer



Joined: 12 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 28 Oct 2004    Post subject: Clueless biker needs advice... PLEEEEEASE!!!! Reply with quote

OK, I passed my test earlier this year, been riding a 1999 Suzuki Bandit 600. Been good to me, I do kinda like it, but the thing is I really like cruisers and the old classics!
I've looked at a 1988 Yamaha fzx750z today, took it for a ride and well, loved it Very Happy Looks nice, sounds nice!

My point is that it's up for £1695 ono (sounds expensive?)
It has a few scrapes on it (end cans scraped)
The indicators have been changed for some dumb little things with black lenses and the speedos are ugly white things that read in kilometers, also some crappy twin tiny headlamps!

Now the bikes done 30,000 kilometers, has tax until end of jan, new MOT, both tyres are BRAND spanking new (hence couldn't enjoy test ride too much Wink )

It looks bloody nice to me, sounds great to! But needs really tidying up, I've looked on the net for some pics and info - most people seem to think they are good power cruisers! Are they?

Are they hard to get parts for? I typed in fz and fzx into ebay and got bugger all back! Does that mean I'm stuffed for bits? Or do other parts fit as standard?

Sorry for the long post and questions... But I really need help to make my mind up, I can straight swap my Bandit (maybe get a bit of store credit) for the Yamaha, but Is it REALLY dumb to swap a 1999 bike that's damn near mint for a 1988 bike?

See I reckon that I paid £2400 for me bandit this year and know I'm gonna lose a few hundred at least on it! But an older bike done up can only go up in value, yeah?
____________________
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 28 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The old FZ / FZX engine is really tough. The bearing behind the front sprocket goes if you run the chain too tight, and the starter clutch wears out. Neither are that expensive but both require a full engine strip down to fix.

To be honest that FZX sounds well over priced. I am not up on the prices of those but FZs were more expensive new, far more popular and you would have great difficulty getting that much for an immaculate one now, let alone a tatty import.

For FZ750 stuff try https://www.fz750.net . Friendly bunch and some might have FZX experience as well.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:04 - 28 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree, sounds pricey to me for a 'tatty' custom bike that is six years old with 30k miles on it. Mind you, I don't shop in that market much, not my cup of tea.

Another one to look at is the Honda Magna, custom styled V4 or for a 'proper' muscle bike, the V-max (as long as you like going very fast in straight lines).

In theory you can make a bike worth more by tarting it up, in practice, the cost of bike parts and the time involved makes it impractical. This is probably why the previous owner used crappy aftermarket parts for his repairs. In my experience these things are seldom as simple as they first appear and you can end up making it worse unless you do a first-class job of any repairs.

Shop around.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From https://www.umgweb.com/0usedguidy.html

YAMAHA FZX750
1991 on, 749cc w/c DOHC four
80hp 130mph 45mpg 450lbs
Street version of the FZ in milder tune, max torque at 6000rpm, which might be a waste of the 20 valve head. The rather ersatz styling of the airfilter covers (if ever an engine demanded a single carb...) and odd bends in the tubular frame somewhat ruined the effect of street nastiness but it’s actually quite a practical bolide. Engine’s as tough as they come but caliper/disc rot and some electrical hassles at high miles.

HTH Smile
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I would agree, sounds pricey to me for a 'tatty' custom bike that is six years old with 30k miles on it


Worse than that it is 16 years old.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
I would agree, sounds pricey to me for a 'tatty' custom bike that is six years old with 30k miles on it


Worse than that it is 16 years old.

All the best

Keith


D'oh. Looked but did not see. Rolling Eyes

but

Daview. Put the wallet down and step away from the motorcycle! Hand
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daveiw
Nova Slayer



Joined: 12 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so not a great move then! Good job there's places like this around to advise Thumbs Up

Thing is I really wanna new bike, now the criterea is...

1) More cc. 750 or more! (not to silly insurance though, as still year one on license, £175 tpft on Bandit 600)

2) Maybe a classic - I like the idea of an older bike

3) Would like to learn about bikes with it, but not buy one that needs shed loads of work as I know sod all about mechanics at the moment!

4) NOT a sports bike, Must be naked (sorry lads I know you all love them, I like to ride them and look at them, but I don't want one - yet!)

5) don't really wanna add too much money to it in case something goes wrong, I need some bucks in the bank to buy another bike if need be (also looking for a cheep (yeah right! Rolling Eyes ) 250-400cc trials bike)

You mission should you choose to accpet it, is to sort my spinning mind out and tell me what the hell I should buy! Confused
____________________
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:13 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Benelli 900 Sei!
https://www.motorbikes.be/en/Benelli/1988/900%20Sei/

Only an inline six, rare as hell and costing £3000 plus.. Whistle

Or, on the other hand something a bit more sensible, how about a Yamaha TDM 850, a BMW R850 R, or a Honda CB900? Or, for the more extreme amongst us, a Kawasaki ZRX 1100?

https://masany.powerbean.jp/images/cb900.JPG
They've been making these for ages, so a 'classic' shouldn't be that difficult to find.

https://www.balderstonbmw.freeserve.co.uk/BMW%20R850%20R%20Classic%20-%20low%20resolution.jpg

https://www.bikez.com/bike/19810/index.jpg
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Re: Clueless biker needs advice... PLEEEEEASE!!!! Reply with quote

daveiw wrote:


My point is that it's up for £1695 ono (sounds expensive?)
It has a few scrapes on it (end cans scraped)
The indicators have been changed
for some dumb little things with black lenses and the speedos are ugly white things that read in kilometers, also some crappy twin tiny headlamps!

Now the bikes done 30,000 kilometers, has tax until end of jan, new MOT, both tyres are BRAND spanking new (hence couldn't enjoy test ride too much Wink )



Sounds like an import that may have been down the road. Shocked ...personally I would walk away. Thumbs Down
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you like the FZX then go for it. Should be a decent enough bike, just find one at sensible money (about a thousand pounds less than that one). The reviews seem to like them and the engine is very tough. Built quality was acceptable, but they did not sell in the UK at all well.

There are 2 on Autotrader at the moment, one at £1999 (way over priced) and one at £1299 (a bit pricey for its mileage).

mchaggis wrote:


There is a 750 one for sale at North Leicester Motorcycles for £3k.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the more rare/ cult bikes, they're always way overpriced, so you might as well go straight to the top of the tree. For similar money for the year, more 'cruiser' looks, more power, and a better reputation..........




BUY A FECKING V- MAX,

you know you want to really. Very Happy Thumbs Up
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daveiw
Nova Slayer



Joined: 12 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the look of that zrx100 https://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/html/emoticons/wub.gif Some nice bikes there....
____________________
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:20 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveiw wrote:
Love the look of that zrx100 https://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/html/emoticons/wub.gif Some nice bikes there....


Used to have one ..... Not the best handling barge on the canal but can be helped by turning the eccentric chain ajusters through 180 degrees(raises back end giving quicker steering). IMO the best looking retro you can buy. Awsome bulletproof engine means a GOD at traffic light burnups, but bloody hard too keep the front wheel down.

Sold it as it WAS going to eat my license. Crying or Very sad *sold it three years ago and found it last Saturday in a shop in Stafford for the same price I got for it......Bugger Rolling Eyes *

(Only 1 colour to get good old Eddie)
https://perso.wanadoo.fr/jmduf/images/zrx1100.jpg
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nkd666 wrote:
With the more rare/ cult bikes, they're always way overpriced, so you might as well go straight to the top of the tree. For similar money for the year, more 'cruiser' looks, more power, and a better reputation..........


FZX was marketed as a cheap V Max copy.

Finglonga wrote:
Sold it as it WAS going to eat my license. Crying or Very sad *sold it three years ago and found it last Saturday in a shop in Stafford for the same price I got for it......Bugger Rolling Eyes


Which shop?

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross Vernon...opposite the prison, St Patrick Street.

Eddie Lawson ZRX1100 (W*** RNT)

Went for a wander while having my bike MOT'd at C G Chell and thought I would nip in too se what he had and there it was. The lad that had it off me part chopped it for a Harley..........Hmmmmmm very different animal. Wink
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yep, know the shop. Might have to have a look at your old bike Laughing .

I normally use R&B Motors for bike MOTs these days as they can normally do them with very little notice.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
FZX was marketed as a cheap V Max copy.


I know, hence my suggestion. For similar money for the year, you could have the real thing.
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:59 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you could then I would say grab the V Max, but I would expect a V Max to be worth one hell of a lot more.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daveiw
Nova Slayer



Joined: 12 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:32 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fella's Thumbs Up I'll keep looking, I'll post my next option and get views on that! I really appreciate it Thumbs Up Wink Thumbs Up
____________________
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dandit
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:19 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveiwdo you want to sell your bandit or swap for my 97 bandit6 and some cash on top??????
____________________
WHAT DO YOU MEAN 100 MPH THATS IMPOSSIBLE I STILL HAD 3 GEARS TO GO OFFICER. Currently riding a naked cbr 600 and driving a 52 plate 2litre tdci mondeo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daveiw
Nova Slayer



Joined: 12 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate - at the moment I can't decide what to do, I know I want something else but I don't know what Confused Just seen today a brand spanking Triumph Americana in the showroom today and loved it... but it means finance! If I do sell, I'll bear you in mind, as long as I got the difference in the trade in price I wouldn't lose anything and you could get a cheep upgrade - both do alright! Very Happy
____________________
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 127.76 Kb