Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Is a 228kg GSX600F too much bike for a 65kg learner?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Best 1st bike is:
Un-intimidating but soon boring
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
Slightly scary one you'll grow into
66%
 66%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author Message

furry-ninja
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:48 - 17 Oct 2012    Post subject: Is a 228kg GSX600F too much bike for a 65kg learner? Reply with quote

I have the opportunity to pick up one of these pretty cheaply but I'm wondering if it's going to be too heavy for me to handle?

It will be my first bike and it ticks a few boxes for the money but I'm a 10 1/2 stone-ish skinny bloke who hasn't been to the gym much in the past year Embarassed and am a bit concerned about dropping it in the driveway or even worse at slow speed in town or parking or something?

What's the wisdom, am I being paranoid?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

C1REX
Traffic Copper



Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 18 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more about the experience and not strength I believe.
Depends how confident you feel about it.

Lots of riders drop a bike at some point. Just get crash pads. Safer for a bike and for your legs.
Imagine all this weight falling on your ankle.
____________________
MCForum meetup - One of the biggest motorcycle clubs in UK
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DonDino
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:22 - 18 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a perfectly valid fear.

I dropped my instructor's CBF600 once, and couldn't pick it up on my own, someone else came and gave me a hand.
Then I saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk

And I keep that in mind for next time (hopefully there isn't going to be one Tut Tut
____________________
First bike: CBF125, Feb. - Oct. 2012
Currently riding: ER-6N since Oct. 2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

furry-ninja
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:13 - 18 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this kind of thing might be more accurate:

https://youtu.be/OOCTsna2jiI
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:49 - 18 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unless you were intending to bench press it Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 18 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, take it for a short test ride and wheel it about to get a feel for the weight of the bike, sounds like a sweet first bike though, once your moving i doubt you will feel all that weight anyway, its just slower riding and moving the bike around while off it!
____________________
Yamaha MT-09 - Triple powerrrr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 18 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a girl who is probably 9st ish and about 5ft 6 - she's lumping a Bandit 12 through the lanes.

You'll be fine.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 18 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't touch one, mostly because I've dropped a Bandit 650SA. Way too much lard and seat width for stumpy Scotch pins. I could live with one, but I wouldn't want to.

You'll have to sit on one and see, but don't make the mistake of rocking it to the side to feel the weight or you'll be picking it up. Wink
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ukbiker.info
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 11 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 18 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6HTs9x3xBE
____________________
My YouTube Channel
Bike gear
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 18 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bandit, no way is it that heavy? like 180kg?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 18 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well one of our couriers who's about 5'5" rides a Pan European - about 300kg or thereabouts? excluding all the postal stuff he's carrying.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 18 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strength is largely irrelevant, technique is everything.

If you're carrying the weight of it, you're doing something wrong.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

psychodame
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 29 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 18 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped my GPZ500 on myself the other week (got off it forgetting to put side stand down)

I bought the bike in the full knowledge that there is no way that I would be able to pick this bike up.... or so I thought, but fear of my husband finding out that I'd been a knobhead and dropped it, gave me superhuman strength and I managed to pick it up.

The moral of this tale is don't worry about it, go out there and get a good sized bike, and if you drop it, just wait for help to come along, which it will eventually, or watch the Utube link and spare your blushes.
____________________
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity.
-Anonymous
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:19 - 18 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://axa2006.com/motor/suzuki/1990_GSX600FL_red_450.jpg
Wouldn't be on my list of top ten newbie freindly bikes, but not because of the weight or balence, but becouse they are a four, they are full faired, and a bit... well?!?!?

Depends what age it is, too, but the early ones, were Suzuki's answer to the CBR600, with fully enclosed bodywork, which was even uglier than the honda's original jelly-mold effort, and they were built down to a price.

Been living in the bargain basement ever since, and few have escaped serious neglect or botchery to keep them running on the skint.

In decent nick, they are quite a nice bike to ride, but couple I rode I found rather err.... annoying. They are a small bike, and the seat 'dip' is pretty tight and doesn't give much room to move around, coupled with fairly low narrow bars, I felt squeezed into the thing, but I am a 6'2" neanderthal!

Tight geometry felt nervous, and slow maneuvering felt like severe lack of lock, motor was willing but rev hungry, urging you to thrash it to find the 'go', and it never felt well 'planted' on the road, but nimble enough in the twisties.

But frankly, there are MUCH better bikes out there for your money, I don't care how cheap the one you are looking at is, they are cheap bikes, and saving a couple of hundred on buy price is quickly made false economy by any of the full-price maladies that can strike the things (or any other old bike TBH!), from siezed brakes to worn out tyres to broken gearboxes.

I'd be steering you towards one of the twins; GPz500s probably being favourite. Much more newbie freindly, AND genuinely cheap to run, even if a tad more expensive to buy.

If you have to have a full-fat 600? Well, lot of other bikes out there that have a lot more merit than cheap buy price, with or without fairings, but not inclined to reccomend many for a newbie, especially on a budget.

Cheap bikes can get very expensive very quickly. 600's and sporty 600's, are quite demanding of maintenance and tyres, chains, sprockets, brake pads, spark plugs, they don't come cheap, £500 bike that needs some remedial maintenance before its next MOT can easily become a £1000 bike in a matter of weeks; especially if you need a new pair of tyres that are likely to set you back £150+ fitting.....

They were a useful sporty 'all-rounder' and good budget bike, but I reckon they are probably a decade past thier sell by date now.
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 18 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterious_rider wrote:
I have a bandit, no way is it that heavy? like 180kg?


way over 200 dude
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

furry-ninja
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:07 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah sod it! I'm just going to buy an SV650.
I'm probably worrying too much but might as well get something a bit easier till I get used to things.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

furry-ninja
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:20 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was this later one I was tempted by BTW.
Styling is a bit um... unique, but not as dated looking as the previous one.
I kinda like it's weird looks.

https://www.bikez.com/pictures/suzuki/1998/642_0_1_2_gsx%20600%20f_Image%20by%20Suzuki.%20Published%20with%20permission..jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sid_The_Sloth
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:06 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about handling the weight, like others have said. I've been learning on a GS500 and Sv650, both of which are easily manageable for myself at only 5ft6 and 10 stone. I bought a Bandit 600 for my first big bike for when i pass.

Mike, why are 4s bad for noobs?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

PiercedMrsP
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 18 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a sub 10 stone 5ft 7" female who doesn't do gyms and is averagely feeble. Now bear that in mind when I tell you that I can can pick up my 280kg 1100 Shadow ACE.

I'm not freakishly strong - there's just a knack to it. Have a hunt on YouTube as there are a few very good vids that show you the technique, one of which featured a fairly small lass successfully picking up a Harley Road King (truly mahoosive cruiser).

As for the weight when actually riding it, it's like anything - you get used to it. Bendy's right in that its technique. The Shadow felt massive to begin with but I'm rapidly getting used to her and personally I feel much safer and more stable on her, but I appreciate that might be different for sports bikes.
____________________
Can sadly no longer be seen tearing up the road on my Honda Shadow 1100 ACE as she was stolen by thieving scum on 3/7/13.
Now the proud owner of a Suzuki VL800 Volusia and a huge Almax security chain Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:50 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any bike after a 125 will feel massive.
last week I went to sit on a SV650S, it felt HUGE!
The fairing seemed to add so much bulk to the bike, when in fact it was just likely my perspective .

5 months of this

https://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/84/dfeecbcd9dc54877b033793d7a1d9428/l.jpg

Make this

https://blondesearch.ru/img/79/791/Suzuki_SV650S_brief_review_2005_model.jpg

Look very daunting indeed Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:35 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

RK_Craig wrote:
Mike, why are 4s bad for noobs?

Refinement vs Rawness

Fours tend to be a lot smoother, and revier; they tend to 'feel' more lathargic lower down the revs by contrast to the pull they have in the mid-range and top end, encouraging more revs to be used, but with the smooth 'elastic' delivery not providing such sudden 'surge' not feeling so dramatic piling on a lot of speed very quickly.

A twin, is a lot more 'chuggy' low down, power delivery is harsher and towards the top end, they tend to get a bit asthmatic and vibratory.... you can get a sudden 'surge' of acceleration in the alledgedly 'strong' mid-range, bug again mostly a feeling from contrast between lumpy bottom and wheezy top! And can feel a lot 'stronger' because of how brief it is, and book-marked by lumpiness & wheeziness, its more dramatically emphasised when you get it.

Add water-cooling to a 'four' quietening it down even more, and usually coming with more highly tuned motor.... then wrap fairings round it, baffling even more noise, and reducing wind pressure and the feed-back that offers, you get even less sensation or feed-back..... informing your inexperienced rider whats going on.

For a newb, feed-back, pure seat of the pants 'rawness' is a useful tool for keeping check on what you are doing and giving 'sensation', which CAN actually translate as riding satisfaction, as well as newb-freindliness.

A four, that much more refined, doesn't offer so much 'sensation' to inform what you are doing... and more refined engines tend to be accompanied by more refined suspension and brakes etc etc etc..... and you can easily catch yourself unawares, and be in trouble before you realise it, simply because the bike isn't giving you so many 'clues' whats going on.

Give a newb rider a refined, sophisticated 'four', and lets pick something as newb-unfreindly and focused on fast as an R6.... does everything with little fuss, hassle effort or feed-back... for a newb rider, often the ONLY sensation they get, and even then a fairly mutes one is shear speed..... easy to believe that that is ALL a bike does, and the only sensation it can offer......

Give a Newb a GS500..... no where near as composed, lots or raw edges, and fast don't come easy; you get the wind in your face, you get the clatter of tappets, sqirming of suspension and the smell of hot brake pads...... you get a lot more 'sensation' from it, and when you get it KNOW you are trying a bit hard.... which can be fun.
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

RK_Craig wrote:


Mike, why are 4s bad for noobs?


They aren't, my daughters first 'big' bike was a CBR400RR. 16000 ish rpm and fast as fuck when you wringed its neck. My wifes first was a Bandit 650SA, which while I agree with Roger is a heavy old lump, she could manage.

Nothing wrong with, 4's, triples, twins or even singles, though I would draw the line at a 600cc Panther unless you are a masochist. Laughing
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 21 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh a GSX600f thread.

I had one, i hated every second of riding it. I didn't like how it handled, i didn't like how it looked, i didn't like the power delivery, in fact, the only thing i did like was the sound it made.

Mine when i got it.

https://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/262143_2005256744809_6060359_n.jpg

Mine when it was returned to me after being stolen

https://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263002_2038301570909_1919895_n.jpg

When my mate got it

https://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/522670_376251445770939_2141864211_n.jpg
https://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/431050_452057671501835_1091067412_n.jpg

Then the best thing that happened to that bike...

https://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/282126_461879680519634_134205780_n.jpg

Good Riddance.

Get an early 90's CBR600. Light and chuckable, fast, look good, and reliable.

Dunc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 357 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.49 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 128.4 Kb