 |
|
 |

|
|
| Author |
Message |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:41 - 15 Jan 2013 Post subject: Fat PS3 running hot? |
 |
|
My fat PS3 had gotten noticeably nosier recently so I thought I would strip it down and clean it up.
It was dead easy far easier than an XBox.
You'll need a thin T10 torx (a normal bit was too big) and a Phillips. I noticed the torx bit looked like a security one with a lump in middle however a normal t10 worked for me.
Pop the rubber bung out of the bottom undo the torx then slide the top cover off. undo all the screw here, they are all the same length barring one where is shorter, conveniently that hole is marked 'S'
There is a clip in one corner you have to release and the lid comes off. then you can seen the PSU and Blu-Ray drive these a easy to remove unclip the cables and undo the screw on the PSU (5?) the BR drive was held down by the previous casing screws.
I opened up the PSU (3 Screws) and gave it a blow out.
The next part isn't a clear but basically remove all the screws you see and pull the mainboard off it is a little fiddlely and needs the plastic casing to be bent.
BTW by this point I had removed several pounds of dust
Now you can see the heatsinks and fan. remove all screws and pull them out. I cleaned up the CPU and GFX chips and their heatsinks, then applied some AS3, I then de-dusted the fan and put the lot back together.
Result, my PS3 is quieter than ever this should ward off the LOD for a while.
Please note I neglected to reconnect the BR data cable properly so make sure that is in tight.
I'm recommend this to anyone whose PS3 sounds like a hoover. ____________________ Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:34 - 15 Jan 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cool How To, Bro. Literally.
On a related note, Mrs B's senescent little K8 flexAtx desktop was screaming like a kamikaze and going into thermal seppuku, so I had it apart. The processor looked like it had starred in a thermal gloop bukkake. A little is good, so more must be better, eh? Clean, tiny spooge, gentle rub, clamp, and it's running smoother than a hentai clunge now. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:53 - 15 Jan 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Rogerborg wrote: | Cool How To, Bro. Literally.
On a related note, Mrs B's senescent little K8 flexAtx desktop was screaming like a kamikaze and going into thermal seppuku, so I had it apart. The processor looked like it had starred in a thermal gloop bukkake. A little is good, so more must be better, eh? Clean, tiny spooge, gentle rub, clamp, and it's running smoother than a hentai clunge now. |
I sorted my mechanics PC with a similar issue it was ancient, apparently his father in law got it from him, it was surplus from a school 10 years ago. Had a 366mhz processor and I think 64mb of ram It had XP on and had never been on the internet so I can only assume was original XP out of the box.
I wouldn't turn on so I opened it up it had what can only be described as a carpet over the heatsink and fan, it was AT least 6mm thick solid dust it came out in one piece  ____________________ Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nowhere.elysium |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nowhere.elysium The Pork Lord

Joined: 02 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:05 - 15 Jan 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Could be worse. At work, in the library, I once had to service a PC that had not only had the front USB panel mashed in so hard that the plate it was mounted to had snapped the retaining tangs off, but some prat had decided that what this computer needed was more chicken bones. I found three in there, and promptly lost all remaining hope for humanity.
This is the same workplace where I have had a laptop brought to me to be fixed, which had been spraypainted red. When I asked why, I was told (with a totally straight face, and what sounded like true conviction) "well, it's the fastest colour, innit".
Again, in the same place, I was handed a laptop by someone who was tangentially associated with my group of friends, and asked to fix it, since it had suffered from a spillage. So, I strip it down, and find a shedload of semi-crystallised crap in there. Once I'd scraped all of it out, I found myself wondering as to what it all was. It transpires that this girl had been cooking up ketamine on her brand new (at the time) Powerbook G4. As one does. ____________________ '10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:11 - 16 Jan 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
At school we were arseholes with the IT stuff. You would have hated me. I remember keyboard and mouse Baseball, and just stealing all the mouse balls. This happened so many times that at the end of each lesson we all had to show that the mouse still have a ball in it
We also did the classic of auto replace in word.
Change Joe Bloggs to Joe Bloggs is a fucking cunt.
and I'm proud to say I 'hacked' the games out of our school PC's.
I can't remember exactly but they had removed the shortcuts to the games and had the PC's looked down so you couldn't access the system files.
I found if you used the help it had a direct link to all the games in it
In my day the PC's had turbo buttons.  ____________________ Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 13 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum
|
Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.8 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 49.35 Kb
|