|
|
| Author |
Message |
| MarkJ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarkJ World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| t121anf |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 t121anf World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Feb 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| natefz6 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 natefz6 Brolly Dolly

Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:42 - 18 Jan 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Loads of CBT nugget stuff available on line, video based tuition. That and the books either from a good library or ebay should see you set as long as you spend time reading/watching them.
My work have sent me on a few Cisco courses and I can say (for me) that they are not worth the money. One that I was sent on was just shy of £5k, it was boring as hell and I knew more than the instructor. You can get software labs now so having expensive equipment to do the lab practice is not needed any more really.
I would not recommend it (depends on your goals) but "how to pass" https://www.how2pass.com/ is pretty much exactly the same as what you will get in the exams. So good for practice if you are not sure you will pass, or do as some people do and just parrot learn all of the answers.
Depending on your current salary and position depends on if it will be worth it for you. When I look at CV's CCNA is a nice to have but experience counts much more imho. ____________________ "no I didn't steal it that's just the way I ride" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:49 - 18 Jan 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hey buddy,
I've done CCNA and CCNP back when I was at college... did it in addition to the college course in my own time.
It hasn't really got me anywhere special, I think it helped sway the decision to employ me at my current job though. It could get me somewhere if I was willing to be an on call Cisco engineer for various companies, have seen various jobs for things like £150 a day > £300 a day on call techs for large companies around London.
It looks good on a CV, it is pretty easy fundamentally, especially if you have prior significant networking knowledge.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarkJ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarkJ World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:11 - 18 Jan 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Paddy, that's what I was after I'm not wanting to use it as a ticket to any networking job, it's just that a lot of the jobs I'm looking at all state "must have knowledge/experience of Cisco equipment" and I thought CCNA would perhaps stand me in good stead for that aspect.
Anyone recommend any good books? I've heard the Todd Lammle books are good but there are loads of different versions. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| woodall57 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 woodall57 Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 25 Jun 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:23 - 18 Jan 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cheers for the insight paddy. My degree i should be starting in September at Sheffield Hallam, (network design) includes the Cisco syllabus and exam fee  ____________________ cbt:4/7/12 theory:16/7/12 module 1:12/8/12 module 2: ? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:21 - 18 Jan 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'll see if I have any of my CCNA stuff at home on CD.
Definitely would check out some online torrents though, they were stashed with good CCNA/CCNP stuff when I was studying away from home  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Spudly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Spudly World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Apr 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:16 - 18 Jan 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm pretty sure I have all four books from Cisco about the CCNA, I'll have a look this weekend.
As far as doing it is concerned, I found the hardest part of it was getting my head around subnetting. Once that clicked though, I found the rest of it was easy. Mostly, the Cisco specific stuff is about navigating their console. It's reasonably logical though. ____________________ The Old Apprentice |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ingah |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ingah World Chat Champion
Joined: 10 Apr 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Frost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Frost World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarkJ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarkJ World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:44 - 19 Jan 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the help everyone, it sounds like it's what I thought it would be It being quite heavy on subnetting is actually good news as my degree focussed quite heavily on it  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 13 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|