Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Cisco Certified

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:55 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Cisco Certified Reply with quote

Morning all,
I'm wanting to get a new job in networking. I've worked in IT for the last eight years in group support roles looking after the servers and the network, and want to specifically get into just the networking side. My current job was an even spread over servers, network and databases but has recently become 90% DB and I do not like it.

I have a networking BSc degree, and have thought about self teaching myself the CCNA course. Has anyone done this before? Anyone with a Cisco qualification recommend it?

Thanks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:36 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a few people with CCNA and they tell me it's very very hard.

No doubt worth it though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

natefz6
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:42 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of CBT nugget stuff available on line, video based tuition. That and the books either from a good library or ebay should see you set as long as you spend time reading/watching them.

My work have sent me on a few Cisco courses and I can say (for me) that they are not worth the money. One that I was sent on was just shy of £5k, it was boring as hell and I knew more than the instructor. You can get software labs now so having expensive equipment to do the lab practice is not needed any more really.

I would not recommend it (depends on your goals) but "how to pass" https://www.how2pass.com/ is pretty much exactly the same as what you will get in the exams. So good for practice if you are not sure you will pass, or do as some people do and just parrot learn all of the answers.

Depending on your current salary and position depends on if it will be worth it for you. When I look at CV's CCNA is a nice to have but experience counts much more imho.
____________________
"no I didn't steal it that's just the way I ride"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey buddy,

I've done CCNA and CCNP back when I was at college... did it in addition to the college course in my own time.

It hasn't really got me anywhere special, I think it helped sway the decision to employ me at my current job though. It could get me somewhere if I was willing to be an on call Cisco engineer for various companies, have seen various jobs for things like £150 a day > £300 a day on call techs for large companies around London.

It looks good on a CV, it is pretty easy fundamentally, especially if you have prior significant networking knowledge. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:11 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy, that's what I was after Thumbs Up I'm not wanting to use it as a ticket to any networking job, it's just that a lot of the jobs I'm looking at all state "must have knowledge/experience of Cisco equipment" and I thought CCNA would perhaps stand me in good stead for that aspect.

Anyone recommend any good books? I've heard the Todd Lammle books are good but there are loads of different versions.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

woodall57
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the insight paddy. My degree i should be starting in September at Sheffield Hallam, (network design) includes the Cisco syllabus and exam fee Thumbs Up
____________________
cbt:4/7/12 theory:16/7/12 module 1:12/8/12 module 2: ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I have any of my CCNA stuff at home on CD.

Definitely would check out some online torrents though, they were stashed with good CCNA/CCNP stuff when I was studying away from home Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCNA isn't particularly difficult but the Cisco pass marks are set high and the exam is adaptive so if you're weak on knowledge in one area then it'll find you out.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:37 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found CCNA difficult, it was more about cramming lots of info in your head than anything else, really boring stuff usually.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
I found CCNA difficult, it was more about cramming lots of info in your head than anything else, really boring stuff usually.


It's all important stuff though. The principles apply to any network and the Cisco specific stuff is essential if you're managing their devices. It's all stuff any network admin/manager/designer needs to know. The good thing about IOS is the context sensitive help will get you past anything you forget. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Spudly
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I have all four books from Cisco about the CCNA, I'll have a look this weekend.

As far as doing it is concerned, I found the hardest part of it was getting my head around subnetting. Once that clicked though, I found the rest of it was easy. Mostly, the Cisco specific stuff is about navigating their console. It's reasonably logical though.
____________________
The Old Apprentice
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:41 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's the qualification track to go for if you are chasing a networking career, especially in any environment that involves looking after large networks. I don't believe it's necessary for an IT career - i disagree with the school of thought that it strictly follows what you need to know to do IT jobs, as it's far more Cisco networks orientated.

The whole point of it is that if you have the qualification, you are likely to be able to be put on a Cisco network and let loose with a minimal amount of training and guidance.

There are more general qualifications out there, but if your goal is strictly within networking, Cisco is probably the route for you.

I recommend the official Cisco press books, as they contain all the details you need to pass the exam; details that appear to be missing in the training videos.

Good luck.
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want another networking qualification maybe have a look at LPIC. It's a fuck load cheaper than cisco. I think most companies (well ours at least) don't throw all their eggs into one basket and go all in with a single company like cisco. So whilst CCNA is useful to them a good general knowledge of setting up systems is going to be more valueable to more companies
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 19 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone, it sounds like it's what I thought it would be Thumbs Up It being quite heavy on subnetting is actually good news as my degree focussed quite heavily on it Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.65 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 80.88 Kb