|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Jayy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jayy Mr. Ponzi
Joined: 08 Jun 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kradmelder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kradmelder World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Jun 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Werny |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Werny Traffic Copper

Joined: 02 Feb 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:40 - 05 Apr 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I bought one a month ago.
I like it, a lot.
The v-twin took some getting used to, it's very different in character to an IL4, but you probably know that. The throttle is very sensitive on mine (well, all of them) and it can be a bit on/off throttle response, but a week riding it pretty much cured that for me.
The only other properly fast bike I've owned is an FZR1000, and compared to that, the KTM is absolutely rock steady and stable at all times and especially cornering. It accelerates like a missile from low revs, and with no upper rev surge that IL4s give I find myself hitting the rev limiter more often than I'd like. Acceleration out of corners is something where it really has an edge, the power is instantly there for you, but it does get twitchy and kinda light on the steering. It's very light and changes direction so fast, I think my brother described it best to me as "like a bmx with a litre engine".
It's a pretty tall bike, I'm 6 foot and have to choose which foot to put down, but once rolling everything about it makes you giggle. The seating position, the sound, the engine response all make you want to misbehave. And the lack of fairing makes super silly speeds pretty damn hard, which for me is a good thing. It is fun now, I can only imagine how much better it will be with the roads warmed up if we ever get rid of this cold weather!
Trying to think of negatives for you:
It is hard work in town, it doesn't like 30 limits very much and I have to slip the clutch more than I'd ideally like to. It is very thirsty indeed, but you don't buy bikes like this for fuel economy. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kradmelder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kradmelder World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Jun 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Seb |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Seb World Chat Champion

Joined: 19 Jul 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:54 - 05 Apr 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I would have ended up with a Superduke if I hadn't have spotted my 1050. Of all the engines I've used I've never failed to enjoy the Litre V-twins. Second hand prices seem fairly high but bargaining seems pretty easy on them. Pre reg bikes have been cheap for quite a while and I suspect that'll be even more evident now with the big update coming. Personally if I was still shopping I'd likely sit on my hands till the 1290 was released and start making semi insulting offers on radial front ended 2007+ bikes.  ____________________ 2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jayy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jayy Mr. Ponzi
Joined: 08 Jun 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:56 - 06 Apr 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I know it's going to be a step back from the ZX10R rocket but I've owned the KTM 640 Duke ll and I fucking loved that bike. It's great being able to belt a litre sports bike down a straight on occassion but I do it a lot and it's only a matter of time before I end up getting nicked or worse.
I just want to pull wheelies and twat it about down twisties! Fuel economy, what's that? The 10R I can fill up with £20 of fuel, go out for an hour and a bit of hard riding and it's gone. Lucky to see 80 miles out of a full tank with some spirited riding.
Might get me in more trouble being able to wheelie it all the time!
Only concern is the servicing and reliability of them, what are they like?
Trying to find one close to me to test ride but it's proving difficult.
2nd hand prices are pretty good as well, can have an 08/09 plate for £6k
09 plate, 4k on the clock up for £6k
https://i.imgur.com/jQ0c8Kj.jpg |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kradmelder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kradmelder World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Jun 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 07:55 - 06 Apr 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Took one for a 4 hour test ride, batshit mental.
Just power, power, power
It broke down twice though, was an 06 I think with 4k up for 5150. Can't give much of a review as it wasn't mine as such... but the brakes are good, it sounds and pulls great. I'd definitely own one. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Seb |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Seb World Chat Champion

Joined: 19 Jul 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jayy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jayy Mr. Ponzi
Joined: 08 Jun 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Banger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Banger Trackday Trickster

Joined: 25 Apr 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:53 - 06 Apr 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
K eep
T aking
M oney
Nuff Said.
I found this to be very true when I had my 640 lc4. It fell to bits one piece after another, each more serious / expensive than the last.
That said, it was so much fun to ride when it was running that I am seriously considering getting another one, or maybe bigger, at the mo.
A friend has a 990 and as stated above, it was a pig at slower speeds, in his words -The fuelling is wank ! He bought a replacement aftermarket air filter / air box though, had it remapped by a guy in Peterborough and said after that it was a different bike. Cured all his woes.  ____________________ You only get one lap of lifes track . . . . so make it a fast one !
Yamaha . . Keyboards to biking nirvana. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ariel Badger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ariel Badger Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jayy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jayy Mr. Ponzi
Joined: 08 Jun 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kradmelder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kradmelder World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Jun 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kradmelder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kradmelder World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Jun 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:32 - 08 Apr 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
| MarJay wrote: | I test rode one before I bought my last Buell. It was a very very good bike, sparsely equipped and not all that comfortable but very good.
It was a little tall for me, and I doubt I could ever get used to the ridiculous sensitivity of the throttle. I've been riding for 13 years and I've never ridden a bike that made me feel so much like a n00b at under 30mph. I weighed it up and decided I couldn't live with the cons of that bike, especially not for the money that they were/are going for. |
depends on the model. the 990 Dakar has a very comfortable suede seat. Ive done over 800 km days on it no problem.
It doesn't have nay electronic gadgets true. No fuel gauge, no gear indicator, no self cancelling turn indicators etc.
The motard is far lower then the other 990s, the duke isn't tall at all. so if the motard or duke are too tall for you, then the Adv, R, S, and Dakar are far too tall
the sensitivity, Im used to it. I like instant power. The gearing on the duke is however very different to the off road versions that Im used to.
The motard alo doesn't have much wind protection. ____________________ 2011 KTM 990 Dakar
2009 BMW 1200 GS |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kradmelder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kradmelder World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Jun 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 13 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|