Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


KTM Superduke 990 - Anyone got/owned one?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 05 Apr 2013    Post subject: KTM Superduke 990 - Anyone got/owned one? Reply with quote

Any of you lot owned one of these machines?

What do/did you think of it in comparison to other bikes you've owned? What are they like?


I would ask on the KTM forum but I don't want a biased opinion.

Really fancy another KTM but some V-twin goodness and the Superduke has always caught my eye. I had a KTM 640 Duke ll which was awesome fun until it dieded.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 05 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the duke but the 990 adv dakar. The LC8 engine is total grin factor.

Fun ride, snappy and torquey

But not the most economical ride.

I love my 990. I'm aware of its limitations. But I can afford to pay for them. If grin factor is ahead of everything else, go for it
____________________
2011 KTM 990 Dakar
2009 BMW 1200 GS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Werny
Traffic Copper



Joined: 02 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 05 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one a month ago.

I like it, a lot.

The v-twin took some getting used to, it's very different in character to an IL4, but you probably know that. The throttle is very sensitive on mine (well, all of them) and it can be a bit on/off throttle response, but a week riding it pretty much cured that for me.

The only other properly fast bike I've owned is an FZR1000, and compared to that, the KTM is absolutely rock steady and stable at all times and especially cornering. It accelerates like a missile from low revs, and with no upper rev surge that IL4s give I find myself hitting the rev limiter more often than I'd like. Acceleration out of corners is something where it really has an edge, the power is instantly there for you, but it does get twitchy and kinda light on the steering. It's very light and changes direction so fast, I think my brother described it best to me as "like a bmx with a litre engine".

It's a pretty tall bike, I'm 6 foot and have to choose which foot to put down, but once rolling everything about it makes you giggle. The seating position, the sound, the engine response all make you want to misbehave. And the lack of fairing makes super silly speeds pretty damn hard, which for me is a good thing. It is fun now, I can only imagine how much better it will be with the roads warmed up if we ever get rid of this cold weather!

Trying to think of negatives for you:

It is hard work in town, it doesn't like 30 limits very much and I have to slip the clutch more than I'd ideally like to. It is very thirsty indeed, but you don't buy bikes like this for fuel economy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:52 - 05 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done werny. You have described the 990!

You don't buy it for economy but for the love of it! Not a town bike, but a hooligan bike. When I ride it, I must open it up.

But the duke is low! The dakar is a 910 mm seat height. I flat foot both feet. If u only get 1 foot down on a duke you are a short shit!


And you ride the orange? Lol!

Only a certain type ride orange
____________________
2011 KTM 990 Dakar
2009 BMW 1200 GS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 05 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have ended up with a Superduke if I hadn't have spotted my 1050. Of all the engines I've used I've never failed to enjoy the Litre V-twins. Second hand prices seem fairly high but bargaining seems pretty easy on them. Pre reg bikes have been cheap for quite a while and I suspect that'll be even more evident now with the big update coming. Personally if I was still shopping I'd likely sit on my hands till the 1290 was released and start making semi insulting offers on radial front ended 2007+ bikes. Thumbs Up
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:56 - 06 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's going to be a step back from the ZX10R rocket but I've owned the KTM 640 Duke ll and I fucking loved that bike. It's great being able to belt a litre sports bike down a straight on occassion but I do it a lot and it's only a matter of time before I end up getting nicked or worse.

I just want to pull wheelies and twat it about down twisties! Fuel economy, what's that? The 10R I can fill up with £20 of fuel, go out for an hour and a bit of hard riding and it's gone. Lucky to see 80 miles out of a full tank with some spirited riding.

Might get me in more trouble being able to wheelie it all the time!

Only concern is the servicing and reliability of them, what are they like?

Trying to find one close to me to test ride but it's proving difficult.

2nd hand prices are pretty good as well, can have an 08/09 plate for £6k

09 plate, 4k on the clock up for £6k

https://i.imgur.com/jQ0c8Kj.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:27 - 06 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my phone so can't see the pic whole but posting pics of a 990 with akros is pornographic...makes a man drool!
____________________
2011 KTM 990 Dakar
2009 BMW 1200 GS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:55 - 06 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took one for a 4 hour test ride, batshit mental.

Just power, power, power Thumbs Up
It broke down twice though, was an 06 I think with 4k up for 5150. Can't give much of a review as it wasn't mine as such... but the brakes are good, it sounds and pulls great. I'd definitely own one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:10 - 06 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing new pre reg ones for 7000-7500ish. the one you pictured is a mark 1 as well, 2007 or earlier with a R tail on it. Not sure if that was an official accessory or not?
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:38 - 06 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kradmelder wrote:
I'm aware of its limitations. But I can afford to pay for them.


This is what worries me, is it going to be fucking up more than it's working? I don't mind spending the coin to keep it running sweet but don't want something that's just constantly eating money because it has continual problems.

In the time you've owned your KTM, what's gone wrong with it?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Banger
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:53 - 06 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

K eep
T aking
M oney

Nuff Said.

I found this to be very true when I had my 640 lc4. It fell to bits one piece after another, each more serious / expensive than the last. Sad

That said, it was so much fun to ride when it was running that I am seriously considering getting another one, or maybe bigger, at the mo. Very Happy

A friend has a 990 and as stated above, it was a pig at slower speeds, in his words -The fuelling is wank ! He bought a replacement aftermarket air filter / air box though, had it remapped by a guy in Peterborough and said after that it was a different bike. Cured all his woes. Thumbs Up
____________________
You only get one lap of lifes track . . . . so make it a fast one !
Yamaha . . Keyboards to biking nirvana.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:53 - 06 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM do not make boring bikes.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:20 - 07 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I know they don't make boring bikes and I agree with you Banger, my 640 had issue after issue before a fatal issue and it died (that was my fault though).

I just wondered if the problems persist on the bigger bikes as well. I think I will head over to the KTM forums and see what them lot say (no doubt best bikes ever and to buy one!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:57 - 07 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX Jay wrote:
Kradmelder wrote:
I'm aware of its limitations. But I can afford to pay for them.


This is what worries me, is it going to be fucking up more than it's working? I don't mind spending the coin to keep it running sweet but don't want something that's just constantly eating money because it has continual problems.

In the time you've owned your KTM, what's gone wrong with it?


Personally only a clogged fuel filter from dirty fuel. Only problem with my 990 in 30 000 km
____________________
2011 KTM 990 Dakar
2009 BMW 1200 GS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:53 - 08 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test rode one before I bought my last Buell. It was a very very good bike, sparsely equipped and not all that comfortable but very good.

It was a little tall for me, and I doubt I could ever get used to the ridiculous sensitivity of the throttle. I've been riding for 13 years and I've never ridden a bike that made me feel so much like a n00b at under 30mph. I weighed it up and decided I couldn't live with the cons of that bike, especially not for the money that they were/are going for.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:32 - 08 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I test rode one before I bought my last Buell. It was a very very good bike, sparsely equipped and not all that comfortable but very good.

It was a little tall for me, and I doubt I could ever get used to the ridiculous sensitivity of the throttle. I've been riding for 13 years and I've never ridden a bike that made me feel so much like a n00b at under 30mph. I weighed it up and decided I couldn't live with the cons of that bike, especially not for the money that they were/are going for.


depends on the model. the 990 Dakar has a very comfortable suede seat. Ive done over 800 km days on it no problem.

It doesn't have nay electronic gadgets true. No fuel gauge, no gear indicator, no self cancelling turn indicators etc.

The motard is far lower then the other 990s, the duke isn't tall at all. so if the motard or duke are too tall for you, then the Adv, R, S, and Dakar are far too tall

the sensitivity, Im used to it. I like instant power. The gearing on the duke is however very different to the off road versions that Im used to.

The motard alo doesn't have much wind protection.
____________________
2011 KTM 990 Dakar
2009 BMW 1200 GS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:44 - 08 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kradmelder wrote:
The motard is far lower then the other 990s, the duke isn't tall at all. so if the motard or duke are too tall for you, then the Adv, R, S, and Dakar are far too tall


The Superduke is a smidgin too tall for me. I had to shuffle my backside off of the seat a little to touch the floor. Luckily the seat is narrow which is good. That, and the sensitive throttle is why I bought a Buell XB12S instead.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:14 - 08 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Kradmelder wrote:
The motard is far lower then the other 990s, the duke isn't tall at all. so if the motard or duke are too tall for you, then the Adv, R, S, and Dakar are far too tall


The Superduke is a smidgin too tall for me. I had to shuffle my backside off of the seat a little to touch the floor. Luckily the seat is narrow which is good. That, and the sensitive throttle is why I bought a Buell XB12S instead.


Ok, I find the duke to short! my knees are bent far too much. And you sit right in the bike, not on top of it. I guess with gearing of the duke, it will be even more sensitive than the 990 im used to.

There is something about riding the orange tough. It is addictive and you always want one. I cant imagine not having a KTM in my garage.
____________________
2011 KTM 990 Dakar
2009 BMW 1200 GS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.86 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 103.15 Kb