Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Flip-up help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Baisemontchou
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Flip-up help Reply with quote

For the last couple of years I've been trying to buy a flip-up helmet to fit my (apparently) ginormous head and Desperate Dan chin.

Very limited choice in Guernsey in XXL helmets, so I bought several online.

LS2 FF370 £69 - fitted fine, except I couldn't close and lock the lid (stupid chin), fitted my son perfectly, so he was happy.

Caberg Justissimo GT £189 - fitted fine, I could close and lock it as long as I liked having my chin rammed against the chin plate and I couldn't open my mouth. My wife thought this was fine as I couldn't then complain about how uncomfortable I was. I removed (shaved) some of the solid foam liner from the chin plate and although this gave me just enough space to move my mouth - the release button is in the front of the chin and was basically a plastic sleeve and a screw pointing towards my chin, now barely protected by a couple of mm of foam. No choice but to remove the chin guard leaving the helmet in 'Jet' configuration. Fine for the summer, but not what I wanted.

Nitro F347-VN £69 - fitted fine, except I couldn't close and lock the lid again (stupid chin again), refused to give it to my son, so he was unhappy. Currently in its box waiting to be sold.

Tried on a Shoei Neotec and it fitted perfectly, however it's £469.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? If so did you find anything a little cheaper than the Shoei that fit? Nolans etc?

I have had a tax rebate, so could just about afford it, but was hoping there might be an alternative!
____________________
Current Carz: Jeep Liberty, Kia Sorrento Diesel
Current Bikz: '06 Honda Shadow 750 Custom, '02 Sachs Roadster 650, '10 Yamaha R125, '12 Derbi GPR 50, '04 Yamaha TZR 50.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt94
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:05 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have 2 cars and 6 bikes yet you can't afford a £400 odd helmet? Shocked
____________________
current; beemer 5 series!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:16 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have already found the one that fits perfectly, so just get it bought.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Baisemontchou
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:24 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt94 wrote:
you have 2 cars and 6 bikes yet you can't afford a £400 odd helmet? Shocked


No, because I bought 2 cars & 6 bikes.
____________________
Current Carz: Jeep Liberty, Kia Sorrento Diesel
Current Bikz: '06 Honda Shadow 750 Custom, '02 Sachs Roadster 650, '10 Yamaha R125, '12 Derbi GPR 50, '04 Yamaha TZR 50.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baisemontchou
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:28 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sako wrote:
You have already found the one that fits perfectly, so just get it bought.


Brilliant advice. Thanks guru.

I didn't say I wasn't going to buy it, I just wondered if there were any alternatives - I prefer the look of Nolans, was hoped someone else with a similar head had tried one on.
____________________
Current Carz: Jeep Liberty, Kia Sorrento Diesel
Current Bikz: '06 Honda Shadow 750 Custom, '02 Sachs Roadster 650, '10 Yamaha R125, '12 Derbi GPR 50, '04 Yamaha TZR 50.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:39 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain, my head is also bignormous - the Shoei Neotec is also the one I settled on in the end, it's worth paying the bit extra for a good fit. I was annoyed about the lack of DD ring fastening, but I quite like the ratchet thing now I've lived with it for a bit.
____________________
'12 NC700S & '12 CB600F Hornet [Stolen by some dickless twat] Suzuki GT500 shed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:48 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

my instructor swears by BMW helmets, no idea on fit but could be worth looking into?
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TT_Man
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:46 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered plastic surgery- chin reduction?
A reduction might prove cheaper in the long run! Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:46 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should just give up with the flip fronts and buy a normal full face that fits properly?

What makes you want one so much?

That Nitro model you got and were willing to wear only has a Sharp 3 Star rating. Worse still, the faceguard only stayed locked 53% of the time when tested. Personally I wouldn't put it on my dog!
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

charlie74
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 03 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:50 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just go to the mainland where you will have much more choice?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sable
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a peanut shaped head with a 3 foot long nose which accompanies my Jimmy Hill chin. Doesn’t stick out like a Desperate Dan but it is big and long. V-Can 210's were best for me, had a flip front and a blueooth one. Only the 210's mind! The other lines in the brand all have chin guards that barely made it past my nose. Embarassed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sebastianw
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Sheep wrote:
my instructor swears by BMW helmets, no idea on fit but could be worth looking into?


Don't!

Between me and my partner we have had three BMW system 6 helmets under guarantee with (in my case) 5 bluetooth systems.

The large sizes leak at the top of the visor and the ventilation is sh1t. The pinlock copy falls out on every use.

I have now got a Neotec and love it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baisemontchou
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT_Man wrote:
Have you considered plastic surgery- chin reduction?
A reduction might prove cheaper in the long run! Laughing


Yes, but I don't want to add to the European chin mountain.
____________________
Current Carz: Jeep Liberty, Kia Sorrento Diesel
Current Bikz: '06 Honda Shadow 750 Custom, '02 Sachs Roadster 650, '10 Yamaha R125, '12 Derbi GPR 50, '04 Yamaha TZR 50.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt94 wrote:
you have 2 cars and 6 bikes, just spent 327 quid on helmets, yet you can't afford a £400 odd helmet? Shocked


FTFY Thumbs Up


Andy
____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Baisemontchou
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Maybe you should just give up with the flip fronts and buy a normal full face that fits properly?

What makes you want one so much?

That Nitro model you got and were willing to wear only has a Sharp 3 Star rating. Worse still, the faceguard only stayed locked 53% of the time when tested. Personally I wouldn't put it on my dog!


I already have several full-face helmets that are fine, lots of stop-start riding where I am, I just want a more convenient helmet that won't suffocate me when stuck in traffic and obviously I want to look excessively cool.

I won't say the ratings don't bother me, they do a little, I've ridden in Thailand where a small plastic bucket is acceptable so I recognise low safety helmets, but the helmets I bought (except for the Caberg) were impulse buys - essentially 'Ah fu** it, maybe this one will do' I also had a Nitro full-face that was the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned and I'd still be using today if I hadn't messed around trying to fit an intercom and destroyed the foam inner liner.
____________________
Current Carz: Jeep Liberty, Kia Sorrento Diesel
Current Bikz: '06 Honda Shadow 750 Custom, '02 Sachs Roadster 650, '10 Yamaha R125, '12 Derbi GPR 50, '04 Yamaha TZR 50.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baisemontchou
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:10 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Matt94 wrote:
you have 2 cars and 6 bikes, just spent 327 quid on helmets, yet you can't afford a £400 odd helmet? Shocked


FTFY Thumbs Up


Andy


Thanks! should I add the three full-face and one other open face helmets I own to the equation as well? I have more than one pair of motorcycle boots and more than one jacket too.

I can afford it - I just don't want to pay £469 if I can get something similar for less.
____________________
Current Carz: Jeep Liberty, Kia Sorrento Diesel
Current Bikz: '06 Honda Shadow 750 Custom, '02 Sachs Roadster 650, '10 Yamaha R125, '12 Derbi GPR 50, '04 Yamaha TZR 50.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baisemontchou
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to goto10, Black Sheep, Sable & sebastianw for advice I can actually use.

Looked at the VCAN Blinc 210 (thanks Sable) but looks too similar to my Caberg for me to take a chance.

I've now ordered an Anthracite Shoei Neotec from a local dealer who's happy to return it to the UK if my head/chin should expand any more before it arrives next Wednesday.
____________________
Current Carz: Jeep Liberty, Kia Sorrento Diesel
Current Bikz: '06 Honda Shadow 750 Custom, '02 Sachs Roadster 650, '10 Yamaha R125, '12 Derbi GPR 50, '04 Yamaha TZR 50.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick_Giles
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 01 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

.
I made the mistake of impulse buying a 'Shark Evoline 3'

Total load of rubbish. Jack of all trades and very poor at all of them. Crying or Very sad

Probably the biggest waste of £300 ever for me.


Nick
____________________
Peter Cook: "I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

StevRS
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 27 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Neotec fits, the cheaper Multitec might fit...
____________________
MV Agusta Brutale 800 RR, Unfinished 1978 XS250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Baisemontchou
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 06 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it - Shoei Neotec in Antracite, XXL, pinlock, freaking brilliant, quiet compared to every other helmet I've owned, very comfortable, pinlock works, airflow - everything I was hoping for. £414.
____________________
Current Carz: Jeep Liberty, Kia Sorrento Diesel
Current Bikz: '06 Honda Shadow 750 Custom, '02 Sachs Roadster 650, '10 Yamaha R125, '12 Derbi GPR 50, '04 Yamaha TZR 50.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:49 - 06 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHOEI FTW Dance!
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BigDan1190
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:59 - 06 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite sure you will find the Caberg Sintesi in XXL will do the job fine.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Baisemontchou
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:21 - 07 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigDan wrote:
I'm quite sure you will find the Caberg Sintesi in XXL will do the job fine.


Maybe, the Caberg Justissimo didn't! However, now I've got the Shoei I hope I won't need to buy another helmet for several years. Smile
____________________
Current Carz: Jeep Liberty, Kia Sorrento Diesel
Current Bikz: '06 Honda Shadow 750 Custom, '02 Sachs Roadster 650, '10 Yamaha R125, '12 Derbi GPR 50, '04 Yamaha TZR 50.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:38 - 07 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You thought about losing weight you fat bastard? Laughing

Seriously though. XXL. FFS the Hulk is only XL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:26 - 07 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baisemontchou wrote:
Matt94 wrote:
you have 2 cars and 6 bikes yet you can't afford a £400 odd helmet? Shocked


No, because I bought 2 cars & 6 bikes.


https://i.imgur.com/teRXduo.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.38 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.3 Kb