Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Arai v's Shoei

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

fozzym
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:14 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Arai v's Shoei Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get a new helmet and have narrowed it down to the Arai Chaser V and the Shoei XR1100. Have any of you had any experience with either of these lids?

If I'm being uber critical, I prefer the fit of the Arai slightly over the Shoei although I know helmets do take a little bit to "wear in" plus you can buy seperate cheek pads to get a pefect fit.

Money wise the Shoei comes in a bit cheaper but I'd rather pay a bit more and get the Arai if its the better lid.

I'll be mainly using it for weekend runs out as I don't commute and will probably keep my current cheap but safe lid for the track.

I'm looking for a quiet lid that is comfortable to wear all day and will last well.

All comments welcome

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RealNinja
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:18 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really depends on the shape of your head and which fits better.

Many years ago I was told people have a particular manufacturer's shape head! Laughing

Personally Shoei over Arai, I have always found Shoei's quieter and lighter.

Oh, and Shoei's dont have that 'am I going to snap the visor when i'm fitting the new one' feeling... Laughing
____________________
You will become my force of retribution. Where you tread, doom will follow. Go now and claim your destiny
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I have worn shoei helmets the inner padding feels like those gay cyclist crash hats

Best bet is whatever fits the best Thumbs Up
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fozzym
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what you mean RealNinja, the Arai seemed a lovely fit but the Shoei did feel Like I was an inbetween size, Small a bit tight and medium a bit loose. Like I said though I could always get different cheek pads to make the shoei perfect.

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

keggyhander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither of them fit my enormous panda head.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealNinja wrote:
Really depends on the shape of your head and which fits better.

Many years ago I was told people have a particular manufacturer's shape head! Laughing

Personally Shoei over Arai, I have always found Shoei's quieter and lighter.

Oh, and Shoei's dont have that 'am I going to snap the visor when i'm fitting the new one' feeling... Laughing


I have both. Much prefer the fit of the Shoei. And light and quiet.
No quirks.
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:00 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both as well but the Shoei wins for me cos the visor is easier to change
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:10 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the XR1100 what I really noticed when coming from a Raid was just how bloody light the thing was.

I also like the chin curtain, I don't know if Arai have them or not.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fozzym
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight wise I think they are the same from what I can find out 1450g a piece. Interesting though that people think the Shoei "feels" light.

I think I'm coming down on the Arai side at the mo though as it fit that bit better and folks keep saying the best helmet is the one that feels right.

After all, you're paying the premium price to have a nicer fit and feel amongst other things.

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

fozzym wrote:
1450g a piece. Interesting though that people think the Shoei "feels" light.


Don't sound that light lol my bell helmet is like 1100g

But anyway, they are quality lids, like you say you pay for quality and they're Defo worth the money Thumbs Up just decide which fits and feels better and pic your favourite design Very Happy
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daffy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

fozzym wrote:
I get what you mean RealNinja, the Arai seemed a lovely fit but the Shoei did feel Like I was an inbetween size, Small a bit tight and medium a bit loose. Like I said though I could always get different cheek pads to make the shoei perfect.

Thumbs Up


exactly same for me,, have you tried hjc?

Ive got an rpha and it felt exactly the same as a chaser v in terms of fit, lighter too
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

both of them are excellent helmet manufacturers

I worked in motorcycle clothing retail for 11 years, I would choose shoei over arai, only because we never had any demand for shoei spares, they used to gather dust, Arai side pods are always breaking and they always blame it on chemical contamination, cleaning your visor with mr sheene, using rain-x, or bob heath visor spray and the side pods are £30 odd for replica or multi coloured helmets, plus a base plate kit and screws you're looking at £40 if they break.....!
____________________
Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the head shape for either you have listed. So cannot advise you at all. Sorry. Cool
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fozzym
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I might go and have another try on, went to J&S today so might try somewhere else. I do feel bad using a retailer just to try something on when I know I'm going to buy online......But not bad enough to pay upto a 100quid more!!

J&S are selling Shoei XR1000's for similar money as XR1100's are going for with online reatailers!

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Musketeer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arai is comfy when it fits your head. I love mine so much that I will probably buy Arai again.

It's comfy, quality is good, vents are efficient, it doesn't feel heavy.

The only bad thing about Arai is they are not quiet. But it doesn't bother me much as I always wear earplugs.

I cannot comment on Shoei as I've never had one, they don't fit my head.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another XR1100 here.. no complaints at all does the job perfectly, can tell it's a quality piece of kit.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in either to be honest they are both at the top of their game, just get the one that you feel fits best as previously said. Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TT_Man
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

fozzym wrote:
Think I might go and have another try on, went to J&S today so might try somewhere else. I do feel bad using a retailer just to try something on when I know I'm going to buy online......But not bad enough to pay upto a 100quid more!!

J&S are selling Shoei XR1000's for similar money as XR1100's are going for with online reatailers!

Thumbs Up


Fozzy, where are you seeing Xr1100's for £229? I am looking at buying a GT or Xr11, could only see the odd unfashionable Colour Xr below the RRP of £329.
Cheers
TT
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT_Man wrote:


Fozzy, where are you seeing Xr1100's for £229? I am looking at buying a GT or Xr11, could only see the odd unfashionable Colour Xr below the RRP of £329.
Cheers
TT


I may well just have saved you £66.

Got this email earlier from lidsdirect -

https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o520/bikerrtomm/SH202_zps9f05ab98.gif

Takes a Shoei XR1100 from £329 to £264..

Enjoy lads Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kitty kat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:07 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Shoei XR1100, Arai don't suit me, infact not many helmets do fit me properly.

I also own an AGV which I do prefer, but it lets rain in the top of the visor, so it has become my dry weather lid & the Shoei is my wet weather or riding with husband lid (it has the intercom system fitted ti it).

My Shoei is now 18 months old, has been to work on a daily basis, either thrown on top of my work's locker or left in all weathers in my top box in a car park in Ambleside, it still is as good as it was when I bought it. As long as they still suit the shape of my head I would buy a Shoei again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fozzym
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.helmetcity.co.uk/products/Shoei-XR1100-Conqueror-TC5.html

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

henry hoover
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Shoei xr1100

For someone as clumsy as me i can change that visor over in seconds! They really are a brilliant lid.
____________________
Cbr600rr 2010 Sold
Zx6r 636 2006 sold
Gsxr 750 L1 current
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

drzsta
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:26 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not tried the xr1100 but have tried the chaser v and I can say that it is the most comfortable helmet I've ever had.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:57 - 15 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 2 cents.

I've got both the XR-1000, XR-1100 AND the Arai Corsair and RX-GP (Corsair V).

So to summarise

Shoei XR-1100

+ves

Arrow Light, clean shape, well vented
Arrow Modern design.
Arrow excellent peripheral vision
Arrow Cheaper than equivalent arai by a measurable degree
Arrow Visor change mechanism easier than Arai (but when you get used to the Arai system, it's a lot quicker to use)

-ves

Arrow Weight distribution is rear biased compared to arais - despite being lighter than the Arai, it didn't feel as comfortable over longer distances
Arrow Buffeting experienced on a sports bikes used to get rather tiresome. This happened to me on a regular basis at motorway speeds when in the 3/4 position
Arrow Noisy! With earplugs in, there was always a booming low frequency noise coming from the back/neck end of the helmet which I found annoying. This is absent in the arai.
Arrow It's actually a lot larger than you think it is!

Arai

I can only speak from trying on a few Chaser V's rather than road testing. So for this, I'll compare to my corsairs

+ves

Arrow Comfort - second to none! I think the my head is better suited to arai shells than shoes - arais have a better off the peg fit
Arrow long distance comfort - weight distribution is more neutral despite being heavier.
Arrow Visor change mechanism - I've never been able to change a shoei visor in less than 5 seconds with the helmet still on my head! (<10 seconds usually)
Arrow Ventilation - Corsair is just as good as the XR, but not sure about the Chaser.
Arrow Aftersales support - take your lid to an arai stand at a bike show or a race meeting and they'll happily service your visor mechansim and other things to keep it in tip top form!
Arrow Better replica designs! I'm a flash git, so I like my Aldo Drudi designed paint jobs

-ves

Arrow price
Arrow visor change mechanism (if you're totally new to it)
Arrow Sidepods breaking (if you don't look after them) - My nakano rep has gone through 2 sets of side pods in 6 years, whilst my Hayden rep has been fine.

Despite having both brands of lids, I'm most definitely an Arai snob. If you can bag at least 20% off an Arai, I'd happily pay the price of it over any other brand. Why? Because I've done enough miles to tell me what my head feels comfortable in!

I often use the shoeis as an interim stop-gap between arais. What I usually do is wait about 18 months before I realise "hmm, actually, I find the Arais more comfortable".

Have you considered the Nolan/Xlite X-802 or AGV GP-tech? If were to go for a next lid, I'd get any of those two on clearance. The Xlite is very well made, comfortable lining, and is very light. It's smaller in profile than the shoei. AGV have recently released their Pista and Corsa helmets, so you can expect the price of GP-Techs to come down drastically!

If the other lids fit your head, why not give them a go? I've always found Arais fitted me better and are therefore more comfortable. This is obviously entirely subjective, but if you find that you fit a shoei fine, then go for it!
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.76 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 133.74 Kb