|
|
| Author |
Message |
| fozzym |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fozzym Brolly Dolly

Joined: 14 Mar 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:14 - 15 Jun 2013 Post subject: Arai v's Shoei |
 |
|
Hey Guys,
I'm looking to get a new helmet and have narrowed it down to the Arai Chaser V and the Shoei XR1100. Have any of you had any experience with either of these lids?
If I'm being uber critical, I prefer the fit of the Arai slightly over the Shoei although I know helmets do take a little bit to "wear in" plus you can buy seperate cheek pads to get a pefect fit.
Money wise the Shoei comes in a bit cheaper but I'd rather pay a bit more and get the Arai if its the better lid.
I'll be mainly using it for weekend runs out as I don't commute and will probably keep my current cheap but safe lid for the track.
I'm looking for a quiet lid that is comfortable to wear all day and will last well.
All comments welcome
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RealNinja |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RealNinja World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Mar 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:18 - 15 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Really depends on the shape of your head and which fits better.
Many years ago I was told people have a particular manufacturer's shape head!
Personally Shoei over Arai, I have always found Shoei's quieter and lighter.
Oh, and Shoei's dont have that 'am I going to snap the visor when i'm fitting the new one' feeling...  ____________________ You will become my force of retribution. Where you tread, doom will follow. Go now and claim your destiny |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| clancy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 clancy World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:31 - 15 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Whenever I have worn shoei helmets the inner padding feels like those gay cyclist crash hats
Best bet is whatever fits the best  ____________________ KLX 300r |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fozzym |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fozzym Brolly Dolly

Joined: 14 Mar 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:34 - 15 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I get what you mean RealNinja, the Arai seemed a lovely fit but the Shoei did feel Like I was an inbetween size, Small a bit tight and medium a bit loose. Like I said though I could always get different cheek pads to make the shoei perfect.
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| keggyhander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 keggyhander World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Nov 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Walloper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Walloper Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bloggsy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bloggsy Spanner Monkey

Joined: 08 Feb 2010 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kawakid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kawakid World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fozzym |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fozzym Brolly Dolly

Joined: 14 Mar 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:38 - 15 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Weight wise I think they are the same from what I can find out 1450g a piece. Interesting though that people think the Shoei "feels" light.
I think I'm coming down on the Arai side at the mo though as it fit that bit better and folks keep saying the best helmet is the one that feels right.
After all, you're paying the premium price to have a nicer fit and feel amongst other things.
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| clancy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 clancy World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| daffy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 daffy Scooby Slapper
Joined: 12 Jul 2011 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| andys675 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 andys675 World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:10 - 15 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I don't have the head shape for either you have listed. So cannot advise you at all. Sorry.  ____________________ Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fozzym |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fozzym Brolly Dolly

Joined: 14 Mar 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:26 - 15 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Think I might go and have another try on, went to J&S today so might try somewhere else. I do feel bad using a retailer just to try something on when I know I'm going to buy online......But not bad enough to pay upto a 100quid more!!
J&S are selling Shoei XR1000's for similar money as XR1100's are going for with online reatailers!
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Musketeer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Musketeer World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jun 2011 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikertomm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikertomm World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:43 - 15 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Another XR1100 here.. no complaints at all does the job perfectly, can tell it's a quality piece of kit.
I don't think you'll be disappointed in either to be honest they are both at the top of their game, just get the one that you feel fits best as previously said.  ____________________ 07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TT_Man |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TT_Man Borekit Bruiser

Joined: 31 Dec 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vincent |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Vincent Banned

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vincent |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Vincent Banned

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikertomm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikertomm World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kitty kat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kitty kat World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fozzym |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fozzym Brolly Dolly

Joined: 14 Mar 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:41 - 15 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| henry hoover |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 henry hoover Scooby Slapper
Joined: 15 May 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| drzsta |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drzsta World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Tot |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Tot World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:57 - 15 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Here's my 2 cents.
I've got both the XR-1000, XR-1100 AND the Arai Corsair and RX-GP (Corsair V).
So to summarise
Shoei XR-1100
+ves
Light, clean shape, well vented
Modern design.
excellent peripheral vision
Cheaper than equivalent arai by a measurable degree
Visor change mechanism easier than Arai (but when you get used to the Arai system, it's a lot quicker to use)
-ves
Weight distribution is rear biased compared to arais - despite being lighter than the Arai, it didn't feel as comfortable over longer distances
Buffeting experienced on a sports bikes used to get rather tiresome. This happened to me on a regular basis at motorway speeds when in the 3/4 position
Noisy! With earplugs in, there was always a booming low frequency noise coming from the back/neck end of the helmet which I found annoying. This is absent in the arai.
It's actually a lot larger than you think it is!
Arai
I can only speak from trying on a few Chaser V's rather than road testing. So for this, I'll compare to my corsairs
+ves
Comfort - second to none! I think the my head is better suited to arai shells than shoes - arais have a better off the peg fit
long distance comfort - weight distribution is more neutral despite being heavier.
Visor change mechanism - I've never been able to change a shoei visor in less than 5 seconds with the helmet still on my head! (<10 seconds usually)
Ventilation - Corsair is just as good as the XR, but not sure about the Chaser.
Aftersales support - take your lid to an arai stand at a bike show or a race meeting and they'll happily service your visor mechansim and other things to keep it in tip top form!
Better replica designs! I'm a flash git, so I like my Aldo Drudi designed paint jobs
-ves
price
visor change mechanism (if you're totally new to it)
Sidepods breaking (if you don't look after them) - My nakano rep has gone through 2 sets of side pods in 6 years, whilst my Hayden rep has been fine.
Despite having both brands of lids, I'm most definitely an Arai snob. If you can bag at least 20% off an Arai, I'd happily pay the price of it over any other brand. Why? Because I've done enough miles to tell me what my head feels comfortable in!
I often use the shoeis as an interim stop-gap between arais. What I usually do is wait about 18 months before I realise "hmm, actually, I find the Arais more comfortable".
Have you considered the Nolan/Xlite X-802 or AGV GP-tech? If were to go for a next lid, I'd get any of those two on clearance. The Xlite is very well made, comfortable lining, and is very light. It's smaller in profile than the shoei. AGV have recently released their Pista and Corsa helmets, so you can expect the price of GP-Techs to come down drastically!
If the other lids fit your head, why not give them a go? I've always found Arais fitted me better and are therefore more comfortable. This is obviously entirely subjective, but if you find that you fit a shoei fine, then go for it! ____________________ The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 13 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|