Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


A2 without courses, what you think?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Bikercem
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 01 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 01 Sep 2013    Post subject: A2 without courses, what you think? Reply with quote

Hey guys, new to the forums.

I have booked my theory test for the 7th of September, I just called a Training centre local to enquire about courses and they said that for a four day course it would cost me £599, bike hire and test fee's included.

I have been driving my YBR125 for a year now and I have looked up the Module 1 exam(Nothing on the Mod 2 yet), do you think I could get away with Renting a bike or something for the test and doing it myself? Or should I do the course, because £600 is a bit steep considering both the test fees are around £85 and £15, the reason the others are included are because its a bit rash letting a newbie on a 600, but as posed below I will be getting another bike this month anyway as my NCB is almost built up and no point in renewing if test will be imminent, I mean I CAN pay the course fees and get a 95% pass chance as stated but If I can save money for my bike etc I would prefer it.

Baring in mind that I will be selling my YBR125 this month and using the money to buy a Bandit-600, I am going to buy the bike at some point anyway so maybe its better to buy the bike, insure it, Restrict it to 46 bhp whack some L plates on, do a little 'Back road driving' to get used to bigger bikes, and go for my test on that because I am supposedly allowed to do so? Anyone got any experience with this sort of thing? Did you pass doing it by yourself?

So the real question is, what are my chances of passing the A2 test without a course, but some practicing?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 01 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed Mod 1 & Mod 2 (old test) with no training. I rocked up on my 125 and just took the tests. I practised Mod 1 a little bit with some cones on an industrial estate though. If you apply a little common sense and read the highway code, you can too.

If you can find a company to insure you, your idea about buying a bigger bike and using that for the test is spot on. I think it would work out best in the long run as if you fail a test, you wont have to add in bike hire fees again.

I'd definitely do some 'back road' practise though. The bandit is a heavy bike, so you will need to get used to that for the Mod 1 test. You can't legally ride the bandit on L-plates unless you are accompanied by a trainer or examiner. It's not the same as a car where you can just be with a friend who's owned their license for 3 years. Get a friend to ride the bike to the test for you, with you as the pillion.

You will also have to look in to what the DSA accept as proof of restriction. Legally there is nothing you need to provide, but the DSA seem to like to impose their own rules.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzie08
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:20 - 01 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can echo that comment, the bandit is a heavy ass bike compared to a 125! I've not much experience but struggle with the slow stuff due to the weight.

You may be fine with it tho having rode the 125 however I think the 600 bandit is at least double the weight
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikercem
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 01 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:12 - 01 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback guys it's the kind of information I was after, I'm quite tall and heavy myself 6'2, 240lb or so, is a big bike hard to cope with regardless of size?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 01 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weight of a bike really comes in to play with slow speed stuff. Once you're up to speed, the weight of a bike means a lot less.

I wouldn't say it's hard to cope with, but something you will want to practise.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:35 - 01 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be fine on a Bandit if you're a biggun.

People can and do pass on their own bikes. In principle the bike that you are on makes no difference to the test. But I should note a few things.

#1 Insurance will be a pickle. We've been told that Bikesure will cover you on your provisional for something like a month before requiring you to be licensed up. I don't know of anyone else who will do it. Your'e not required to show evidence of insurance, but you'll want the bike to be on the MID.

#2 The DSA will want to see convincing evidence that the Bandit has been restricted. A dyno certificate is explicitly not acceptable. They want an invoice or "certificate" from a dealer or a "recognised restriction specialist" - and their definition of "recognised" is a secret list. I'd guess the scammers at "FI International", or Kickstart Engineering on eBay although ALL THE CAPS HE USES are not convincing. Ask your local test centre.

#3 You don't want them to see you riding it in to the test centre. So, pillion, trailer, van, or push it in from round the corner (you know, from the trailer / van / where your mate rode it to).

Best of luck, and massive Karma if you get it done this way.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 02 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provisional license conditions for riding >125 or >11kW are:

Displaying L plates front and rear.

Wearing fluorescent (or at night, reflective) clothing. The amount isn't specified.

Being in radio contact with a certified "DAS" instructor in possession of his certificate, who is in contact with no more than 2 "DAS" trainees.

Aside:
As far as I can tell, the legislation still talks about "DAS", which is a bit of a misnomer now as there's no indirect access through an automagic upgrade. Take it to mean "anything bigger than a 125".

There's no requirement to wear hi-vis while on test, but you'll not want to argue the toss.

There's no limit on the number of 125 trainees who can be out with the instructor - I often see the local outfit out with one instructor and 3 or more Learners, which I consider a bit naughty.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SteveZZR
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 13 Jul 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 02 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Provisional license conditions for riding >125 or >11kW are:

Displaying L plates front and rear.

Wearing fluorescent (or at night, reflective) clothing. The amount isn't specified.

Being in radio contact with a certified "DAS" instructor in possession of his certificate, who is in contact with no more than 2 "DAS" trainees.

Aside:
As far as I can tell, the legislation still talks about "DAS", which is a bit of a misnomer now as there's no indirect access through an automagic upgrade. Take it to mean "anything bigger than a 125".

There's no requirement to wear hi-vis while on test, but you'll not want to argue the toss.

There's no limit on the number of 125 trainees who can be out with the instructor - I often see the local outfit out with one instructor and 3 or more Learners, which I consider a bit naughty.



Not sure if it's "the rules" or anything but locally it seems that instructors wear one colour of vest (green/orange) and the trainees wear another. It was quite some time ago but on one occasion I remember seeing SIX orange vested riders with L plates and one Green vested rider on an ER6F with no L's......



OP, I would honestly find a bit of off-road hard standing on which to learn manoeuvring your bigger bike for a good few hours before attempting test on it. Personally I ride two bikes regularly- a 1995 Kawasaki ZZR 600 E which is 200kg before you put petrol / oil / coolant etc in, and a 1990 Honda CG125 which is probably about half of that at a guess - they are HUGELY different to handle at slow speed and I still find it difficult to do a U-turn (I don't do many so no practice is probably the killer here) on the ZZR after 14,000 miles and 2.5 years of owning it (well, this is my second ZZR but same model).


Anyone know how much lighter something like say a GS500 is? They seem to go as low as £500 on eBay running with MOT and could be a good buy for practicing, not worrying about dropping, and doing the test on and chances are you'd lose no money when you come to sell it (and they're lower insurance group than the Bandit too which may help given your situation)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 03 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've survived a year on the roads you're not going to need a £600 course. Look for an independent instructor who will taylor a course to your needs. I did this and got my M1, M2 training and fees for £210.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 03 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
If you've survived a year on the roads you're not going to need a £600 course. Look for an independent instructor who will taylor a course to your needs. I did this and got my M1, M2 training and fees for £210.

This is similar to what I've done.

I got an instructor to evaluate my riding on the first lesson, after which he gave me some pointers on a few minor things that I needed to do, like turning my head more at junctions, to make it more obvious to the examiner that I was looking left and right Rolling Eyes

I had two more lessons, were my instructor basically took me through the test and each time told me that I'd passed, if it was the real thing.

The difference is though, over here you can to the test on a 125 and get your full licence and there's none of that mod 1 malarkey, just a ride out with an examiner which includes a u turn (which is a lot tighter than in the UK, so I had to use my instructors YBR as my R125 couldn't physically make it round Laughing ) and e stop. So having a bit more practice on a heavier bike will probably be of benefit to you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikercem
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 01 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:23 - 05 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry for the late reply, been working a hella lot recently.

Hmm, well I have my theory on saturday so I got to wait until then to be able to book my test (As well as get my wages this month), so thanks for all the feedback I will keep you guys posted!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

j.silvs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 05 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another guy on here who made a really in depth thread of passing a test without lessons.

Forgot his name tho.....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark 37
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 05 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

£600 for DAS= BARGAIN!

Take the tuition, you'll be a better rider for it.

Mark

EDIT....I've been quoted £800 with tests by one school and £800 by another with no test or bike higher include. Sad Both are 4 day coarses.
____________________
No matter how fast light travels, darkness was always their first.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

j.silvs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:37 - 06 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the post:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=262478url
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikercem
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 01 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:31 - 12 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news guys, I passed my Theory test, I just got to wait until I get my wages to book my Full test, I am 80% likely to go for a 2-day course locally for £430, if for example I get paid on the 17th, and I book a 2-day course the same day, what waiting time am I looking at waiting for? A week? a couple? From experience if possible
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:06 - 12 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikercem wrote:
Good news guys, I passed my Theory test


Well done. Thumbs Up

Bikercem wrote:
what waiting time am I looking at waiting for? A week? a couple? From experience if possible


Why not pose that question to the training school in question? We don't know what their schedule is like.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

shaanaleem92
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:28 - 12 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only had to wait a week or 2 even for retests
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikercem
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 01 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 25 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Module 1 in the morning, so nervous.

Here is what my instructor said:

Parking and stand/moving to other bay: Fine
Slalom:Fine
F8:Fine
Slow moving: work on clutch control
U-turn: Same as above
couldn't do bend as nowhere to do it, but It shouldn't be too hard to do it.
Swerving: Spot on
Emergency braking: I pull the clutch in too quick and I should pull it in like a second or two before the bike stops to stop it stalling. after a couple of tries I did it fine.

I rode a GS500 and the bike is a lot bigger, the tank is so wide, I feel like its more suited to me as I'm a bigger guy being 6'2 and 220lbs, where he's telling me instructions all the time i'm panicking and making it worse by for example taking the right hand lane for a straight etc when it should really be on the left, taking mini rbs too wide and I should keep it tidy and close to the middle of the roundabout but not on it.

any extra tips, module 2 isn't booked yet but paid for, he reckons I need a little more practice for that one but by the end of the session today he didn't seem to spot so many faults etc so I must be improving.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:05 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

A2 without course, did course?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikercem loses massive karma chance.

Dude you were our best bet. All our hopes...gone.
____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent."

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikercem
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 01 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:25 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Bikercem loses massive karma chance.

Dude you were our best bet. All our hopes...gone.


I don't quite understand what you mean? It was a question asking whether I should of done a course, I was unsure I would pass so I went for the course as my pocket allowed me to. Sad.

Either way I passed my Module one today! Hurrah.

Module 2 will be booked 'when I feel I'm ready', I've got good enough bike control but my 'motoring skills' need to be worked on, so I've reinsured my YBR125 and I'm going to drive a bit more before I decide to take the test as it's already been paid for.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.18 Sec - Server Load: 1.16 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 120.53 Kb