Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


net security question from a non geek

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 10 Sep 2013    Post subject: net security question from a non geek Reply with quote

Hello !
Well I never thought I be asking questions in this part of the forum!

I know nothing about computers and my Norton anti-virus has just expired.
The lads in tec-support at work said that Microsoft Security Essentials was a good free anti-virus?.

I seek your advice tecky people? Thumbs Up
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Going
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 10 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you're behind a router and your firewall is setup correctly.
That's all I use when using windows. So far no problems.

The biggest problems you need to be aware of are the vulnerabilities of your chosen browsers. Mainly Java and adobe.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisw
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:14 - 10 Sep 2013    Post subject: Re: net security question from a non geek Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I know nothing about computers and my Norton anti-virus has just expired.
The lads in tec-support at work said that Microsoft Security Essentials was a good free anti-virus?.


I personally don't bother with any (last one I had was the 'form' virus - on a floppy disk) but if you're not technically inclined then having something is better than nothing.
Security Essentials will be fine. Keep it up to date as you should be doing with your general Windows patching anyway. It certainly doesn't hog resources like most 3rd party software does.

But.

A good dose of common sense will defeat 99% of virus/malware (the later is a pain if it's being distributed from tainted ads or the like).

Links looks a bit odd? Don't click it.
Email looks sus? Delete it.
Ste has posted a picture? Avoid it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 10 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much thank you peoples Thumbs Up
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 10 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the most effective free anti virus software.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:54 - 14 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use:

Windows Firewall
AVG Antivirus
SuperAntiSpyware

TBH, these days I tend to switch off both my antivirus and antispyware and instead do a scan maybe once every 3 or 4 weeks. Never had a virus yet; browsers and search engines have their own built-in safeguards to protect you at the other end, it's downloading torrents (file sharing) and visiting small independent websites where you are more likely to encounter them.

As Frost suggested, you could switch to Linux, but be aware that Linux is a lot different to Windows and takes some getting used to. Instead of downloading software as you normally would, the only way most people can do it with Linux is to use it's "Software Center" which downloads and installs programs for you. The troubles start when you want to download a game or program that is not in the Software Centre library, then you have to type in pieces of code to make it work, which for the average user is confusing and difficult.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 15 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVG Free does the trick.

I also have a copy of Malware Bytes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bigtin
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 04 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 15 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping your software up to date is really important if you don't want to be e-raped. Turn on automatic updates for anything that you can and make it check regularly, at times you'll actually be using the computer. An antivirus is helpful but most of the shit you run in to relies on exploits that have been patched in the newer versions of Java, Adobe Flash, Reader, etc.

You could have a look at Ninite. If you use a decent amount of the software listed on there then it might be worth checking out their updater program.

Also, if you're tempted by Frost's post and the thought of Linux then try installing Ubuntu using Wubi. There's no hassle with partitioning or boot loaders and you can remove it from 'Programs and Features' if you decide that it's not for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:09 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESET Smart Security runs on my system, take 25 meg of memory and does it firewall stuff when I need it, never really get infected as I don't surf to crap I'm unsure of or click random links when not in a VM Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:35 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
ESET Smart Security runs on my system, take 25 meg of memory and does it firewall stuff when I need it, never really get infected as I don't surf to crap I'm unsure of or click random links when not in a VM Laughing


same.

that and malware bytes (and noscript on firefox) stops pretty much anything dodgy from running.

i was always a believer of the 'don't click dodgy things' and never had an anti-virus. was like that for years until i got one Wink still have no idea where it came from but from then on I've always had some protection on my pc.

as for free stuff. avg was always popular. norton is a horrible resource hog so the quicker you get shot of that the better
____________________
CBR954RR - Daily toy
CBR600RR - Trackbike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVG security software is the best free software available on the market, except buying one is much better because compared to the biggest bought ones AVG comes out the worst out of them all. Norton is good except others have mentioned it hogs your system a bit, but Trend Micro is one of the best on the market and McAfee is in the top 5 five listing except not as good as Trend or Norton.

I personally use Malwarebytes free anti-virus program, as backup to McAfee Internet Security Software, that has to be manually updated to the latest known list of viruses, etc, but it is good at what it does.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:40 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few people I know who are 'in the know' say that Microsoft Security Essentials is as effective as any and all other free Anti Virus programs, but as a massive bonus it uses hardly any resources and tends to integrate better with Windows.

It's what I use these days and I've not had any issues since I installed it.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:13 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Do you still have Windows installed? That is usually the main issue... Whistle
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVG was good 6 years ago.

Get with the times people. MSE is simple, never bothers you. Hardly uses any resources either. Much better than Avast or AVG.

If you pay for AV software you have been conned.

I have had MSE for ~5 years now and never had an issue. It has asked me when I have downloaded something dodgy but that is its job.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vote for microsoft security essentials here.

used to use AVG in 2006, now it just a crappy piece of ad supported bloat ware.
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:27 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsman37 wrote:
AVG security software is the best free software available on the market, except buying one is much better because compared to the biggest bought ones AVG comes out the worst out of them all. Norton is good except others have mentioned it hogs your system a bit, but Trend Micro is one of the best on the market and McAfee is in the top 5 five listing except not as good as Trend or Norton.

I personally use Malwarebytes free anti-virus program, as backup to McAfee Internet Security Software, that has to be manually updated to the latest known list of viruses, etc, but it is good at what it does.


I'm trying to work out if this is one of the best BCF troll posts I've seen in a while...
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clutchy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than worms to get info (which I understand what they are trying to achieve) Do people even bother making viruses anymore? Thought it would have grown old by now.
____________________
Malaguti F12 Phantom-Dead, Suzuki AY50- Dead, NRG power DD LQ, CBR125.
*33 BHP restriction up on 10/12/14* Current bikes/car: SV 650 S/ MKIV GOLF
Guide to pass your test with no lessons!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:31 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few reason I can think of

Stealing data
To take control of the host(bot net, network jump hosts)
To destroy nuclear reactors(stuxnet)
Test their programming skills / because they can.
Destroy systems/data

The very first viruses were written because they could, to see if it was possible to write self propagating code. Most I have encounter recently seem to be data miners.

To people who don't install AV software how do you know you don't have a problem if you don't have AV software. Also how is having a firewall going to protect you against theats on commonly used ports when those ports are generally open to the world
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red


Last edited by duhawkz on 22:56 - 16 Sep 2013; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:50 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutchy wrote:
Other than worms to get info (which I understand what they are trying to achieve) Do people even bother making viruses anymore? Thought it would have grown old by now.


A worm is designed to spread through a system and self-replicate. They often have a pay-load which is some form of virus or spyware.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with MSE - it works well and it's free. Other good free AV programs are Avira and Avast.

Add Malwarebytes and run it fortnightly or monthly and you have all you need. Thumbs Up

Unless AVG have improved their game significantly of late, I wouldn't recommend them. Their AV client used to be excellent then they became victims of their own success and started 'adding value' which turned a good piece of software into a resource hungry bloated piece of crap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Derivative
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:34 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Botnets are hugely profitable.

Free computing power and network access. Mine yourself bitcoins, give yourself fake hits on YouTube for advertising revenue, all sorts of similar stuff out there.

And yes, viruses are banter. It doesn't 'get old' because new people get into it. I had leagues of fun playing with Back Orifice (Very HappyVery Happy) when I was a teenager and that was a bog standard boring 'move the mouse about' job.


In terms of solutions, well, I help out with managing public machines at work and we use MSE. As stated, it does the job on the standard stuff, is not resource intensive, and ties in usefully with Windows Update.

I think doing much more is chasing diminishing returns. If a virus is new or clever then it will not be detected by scanners, straight up. Your best hope is always going to be denying admin rights unless necessary combined with not running dodgy files.

https://virusscan.jotti.org is a brilliant site for checking the odd file before you run it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Craig321
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 22 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft Security Essentials is fantastic, you don't need anything more and it's not at all a hog. It's built into Windows 8 as well which is nice.

You still need common sense. Viruses can get through a perfectly running and up to date antivirus if you're silly.
____________________
Sept 2012 - Current: Hornet CB 600 F4 '05
Aug 2011 - Sept 2012: CBF 125 '09
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually MSE is only average and only looks out for mainstream viruses, etc, for the average user, as noted in the recent review shown below.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-free-antivirus-software-2013,review-1788-5.html
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.72 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 127.51 Kb