Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Network via mains adaptor advice needed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:50 - 23 Sep 2013    Post subject: Network via mains adaptor advice needed Reply with quote

My current TV is connected to the internet via a Netgear wireless print server (has 4 LAN inputs). However, I'm finding I can't reliably stream video to the TV.

So looking into trying to get a hardwired solution and I can't really be punching holes for cables through the walls. So thought about the network via mains adaptors.

Apology if asked and answered before, point me to the thread if so.
Questions I've currently got...

Arrow Any problems plugging these into a mains extension? My current shelving only allows a standard plug (shelf just above plug socket, the boxy adaptors might not fit), everything else is on a 6 way extension out of this. This is my main query.

Arrow I'm assuming I'll need 500Mbps units for the video. Saw these TP-LINK TL-PA4010PKIT Powerline Adapter Kit - 500 Mbps on the PCWorld site. The pass through plug is so I can still plug in the router on the other side of the wall.

Arrow Any other advice or recommendations of kit welcome.

Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:59 - 23 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do say it's bad to use a 4way extensions and such but in practice it will usually work until the distance is near the limit.
The type with an inbuilt surge protection are more likely to reduce signal.
What will usually stop the signal is a separate fuse box, I have been using the TPlink ones to set up IPcams for watching livestock and that has been the only issue.
Setup is generally as simple as press the sync buttons while both are plugged in.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:02 - 23 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stream video across my network on a 54mbps wireless connection... Unsure why you would require 500mbps. But either way tested a few, I wouldn't use them in my house if it was for streaming, they never worked properly but might be different for you.

I'm similar in terms of extension leads, all my stuff is plugged into those and it was dire.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SimonB
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 23 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:30 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar network plugs to the you have linked to and they work fine for streaming video such as BBC iPlayer. I couldn't get mine to work on an 4 way extension and I ended up buying a single gang to double gang converter for my single socket.

Haven't had any problems since although I didn't pay £50 for my set probably closer to £30.
____________________
Bikes: Honda CBR250RR [sold], Yamaha FZR600 [sold], Honda CBR600RR6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:43 - 25 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies.

I got chatting with a guy at work who it turns out had a similar problem as mine and went for the same solution as I'm trying.

He says his 200Mbps are ok and he streams HD movies ok without glitches.

Given that I did come across these Devolo 200mbps powerline units for £25 on the PC World site.

That's the cheapest for this type with the mains pass-through that I've found. Unless someone can show me cheaper Very Happy

Never heard of Devolo before so any advice welcome. Then again I haven't heard of the Comtrend units my work colleague got so that might not mean anything.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 25 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider getting a higher speed homeplug set, you wont get 200mbps throughput unless you house has recently been rewired and there is little to no noise on the line.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
I would consider getting a higher speed homeplug set, you wont get 200mbps throughput unless you house has recently been rewired and there is little to no noise on the line.

Good point. You should have chipped in earlier with that one.

Devolo plug set ordered now anyhow.
Guess I'll suck it and see, can always upgrade to 500mbps units, just have to keep my eye out for a good deal (end-of-line/discontinued units spring to mind).

my house hasn't been rewired, it's on the todo list but hard to schedule in the upheaval, cost, redecorating costs etc.

Even if I don't achieve the 200mpbs I suspect it'll still be greater throughput than the wireless.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.02 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 56.49 Kb