Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Stuck in a catch 22.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Hokum
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Stuck in a catch 22. Reply with quote

I took my Mod 1 last year on a 500cc, but due to the wife not working, I ran out of funds and couldn't take my Mod2.

Now I'm still short of funds (I have a disabled son and my wife still looks after him), but my Theory test/CBT runs out next April I'm starting to feel like I'm running out of time.


Should I go and take the Mod 2 on a 500 and get an A2 or should I have to retake my Mod 1 on a larger bike.

I know the Mod 1 is cheap but I get terribly nervous under test conditions and I'd be worried about ballsing it up and wasting money.

Thoughts?
____________________
Sane: To know when you are doing something crazy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer depends on quite a bit: how old are you? What are you riding now? What will you do if you pass your test? Are you going to have to renew your CBT anyway because you commute on the bike?
____________________
Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hokum
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

esullivan wrote:
The answer depends on quite a bit: how old are you? What are you riding now? What will you do if you pass your test? Are you going to have to renew your CBT anyway because you commute on the bike?


35yo, Daelim Roadwin 125FI (it's actually really good!), I'm currently commuting about 30 miles a day (15 each way) yeh I'll have to renew the cbt in April too.

I'd be tempted and just take the A2 so I dont' have to worry about the CBT and Theory, but if I later wanted to get the full A i'd have to do the theory again don't I? Cause riding a 650+ is so different in theory to riding a 500...
____________________
Sane: To know when you are doing something crazy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:23 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokum wrote:
I'd be tempted and just take the A2 so I dont' have to worry about the CBT and Theory, but if I later wanted to get the full A i'd have to do the theory again don't I? Cause riding a 650+ is so different in theory to riding a 500...


No, you don't have to re-take the theory , just the practical tests again. Sounds like you should just go ahead and take the mod 2 for A2, if they will let you (I assume you've checked this).

You need the bike, day-to-day and the mod 2 will cost less than the CBT re-do, won't it? Even if money stays really tight and you can't do the full A tests for a while, you'll have plenty of bike choices on the A2. I have a full A and ride a naturally A2 compliant bike and it's actually quite good.
____________________
Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hokum
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

esullivan wrote:

No, you don't have to re-take the theory , just the practical tests again. Sounds like you should just go ahead and take the mod 2 for A2, if they will let you (I assume you've checked this).


What what what? I had assumed my old big bike mod 1 would class as an A2 mod 1?
____________________
Sane: To know when you are doing something crazy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokum wrote:
esullivan wrote:

No, you don't have to re-take the theory , just the practical tests again. Sounds like you should just go ahead and take the mod 2 for A2, if they will let you (I assume you've checked this).


What what what? I had assumed my old big bike mod 1 would class as an A2 mod 1?


I don't know. The information is confusing. If you took your mod 1 under the old rules, but on a 500cc machine, does that count as an A2 mod 1 under the new rules? I just don't know. Would just take a phone call to your local test centre to verify.

Here's the DSA route-to-license diagram, which notes that you do not have to retake the theory test if you hold an A2:

https://assets.dft.gov.uk/dsa/dsa-routes-to-your-motorcycle-licence.pdf
____________________
Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, sorry Embarassed , I may be wrong about having to retake the theory test. The PDF is ambiguous. See the last slide, which I think applies to you? As usual, it's very confusing. If you are 21-23, and have an A2 license for more than 2 years, it clearly says no theory required -- straight to practical test. If you are over 24, what is a "valid" theory pass certificate, then? Oy.
____________________
Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ficedula
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got an A2 license, and you want to upgrade to full A license, then:

-Held your A2 less than 2 years and under 24? You can't upgrade yet.
-Held your A2 less than 2 years but you've now turned 24? You can go for a full A license, but you still need a theory certificate
-Held your A2 for 2 years or more? You can go for an A license and you don't need to retake theory.

Quote:

If you are over 24, what is a "valid" theory pass certificate, then? Oy.


A theory test pass is valid for 2 years - so in theory (ha) you could take a theory test when you're 23, get your A2 license, and then the moment you turned 24 go for an A license.

Because you'd held your A2 < 2 years, you would need a valid theory pass certificate - but your existing one would still count if it was <2 years old. If you'd passed your theory a long time before passing your mod1/2, then it's possible the theory certificate would be >2 years old in which case it's not valid any more - so you'd need to either retake the theory, or wait until you had 2 years experience on A2, at which point they waive the requirement for a theory certificate.
____________________
Bike history: YBR125 -> XJ600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pbt
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 11 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becuase you are over 24, although you took your mod 1 on a 500, is counted as a cat A pass. So, you have to take your mod 2 on a 600cc A cat machine.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:13 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. That's my understanding. You have a "Big Bike" aka "DAS" aka category A mod 1 pass.

Have a look at your pass certificate. Does it say diddly about the bike that you took it on? It could have been a Hayabusa. Significantly, the only common old "A" test bike that's also a new "A2" test bike was the GS500 - all of the other 500s are neither fish nor fowl.

If you go and sit mod 2 on a 595cc+ bike making 40kW+ now, you'll should get a full category A license.

Don't take our word for it though, ask the DSA. You may be pleasantly surprised for once.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pbt
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 11 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:16 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-practical-test/rules-for-mopeds-and-motorcycles-used-in-the-practical-riding-test
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just up sticks and move to the Isle of Man, do your on road bike test (no mod 1 & mod 2 palaver) at 17 years of age on a 125 and then go out and ride any size bike you want, as it's probably easier than trying to figure out some of the UK's new rules. Seriously, reading and trying to understand those regs makes my head hurt.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ficedula
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:08 - 27 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually an interesting question (although not so relevant to OP) - what are the rules for who can take a test in the IoM? Because if I were 19, looking at getting a full license, the costs in the UK aren't cheap (CBT, theory, DAS course + mod1 + mod2, mod1 + mod2 + possible bike hire again 2 years later to upgrade to A...)

If it were possible to visit another country for a week to do training + test and get a full license - that's still recognised in the UK - it'd probably be cheaper, and you'd not have the hassle of upgrading from A2->A.
____________________
Bike history: YBR125 -> XJ600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hokum
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 27 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check what it says.
____________________
Sane: To know when you are doing something crazy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.4 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 81.79 Kb