Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


2002 Hornet 600 Overheating - Update, Thermostat Tested

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

squishio
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 07 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 06 Oct 2013    Post subject: 2002 Hornet 600 Overheating - Update, Thermostat Tested Reply with quote

Hi Guys

The wife's hornet has decided to start overheating, but I'm not sure why.

Yesterday she was riding it across London and the temp gauge went well into the red, she stopped, let it cool down and then carried on, and then did the same again shortly after due to the temp rising again.

This morning I changed the oil and also the coolant as it was due anyway, and I've just taken it out for a test ride, I was only out for about 15mins and the temp gauge was just under the red zone.
My ride was slow through town, but moving at all times.

However, the fan did not cut in at any point during (or after) my ride, I have checked the fuses and they're all in tact so it isn't that.

What should be checked next?

I would have expected that even without the fan kicking in, the bike should be able to keep itself reasonably cool in this 19* weather.

The radiator has the usual bent fins from stones kicking up, but nothing excessive, certainly plenty of airflow still going through.


I guess I'll need to put 12v straight to the fan to see if it works at all, it definitely was last week when I rode it as it tends to kick in when the temp gauge passes half way.

Other than that, could there be another more serious issue like a failed waterpump or something?

Cheers!
Rich

(I don't think it matters much, but but just in case it does, the engine is actually from a cbr600f, at least I believe it is judging by the engine number)
____________________
Current - Hornet 600, Transalp 650, X140 Pit, GPZ400R
Past - SY125, GT250, GT650, CX400, CBF600, Bandit 600, SL1000, GT250


Last edited by squishio on 23:03 - 07 Oct 2013; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 06 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stucked thermostat, the gauge itself, air in the system, faulty temp sensor, faulty fan, lean mixture.

Was the bike really hot?
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

squishio
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 07 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 06 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotter than it usually is I think Confused

Wife says it was cooking her legs, so certainly not its usual running temperature.
____________________
Current - Hornet 600, Transalp 650, X140 Pit, GPZ400R
Past - SY125, GT250, GT650, CX400, CBF600, Bandit 600, SL1000, GT250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 06 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Stucked thermostat


This. Common issue found on the hornets. Test it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 06 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

squishio wrote:
hotter than it usually is I think Confused

Wife says it was cooking her legs, so certainly not its usual running temperature.


Thermostat it is.Thumbs Up
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 06 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get that fan working too don't forget!
____________________
Yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

squishio
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 07 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 06 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

righto, so basically thermostat stays closed, so no coolant flows, correct?

Repair or replace?

One of these...
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB600F2-HORNET-2002/part_71447/
____________________
Current - Hornet 600, Transalp 650, X140 Pit, GPZ400R
Past - SY125, GT250, GT650, CX400, CBF600, Bandit 600, SL1000, GT250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 06 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

To test remove stat, put in pot of cold water and place on stove, once the water has just started to boil the stat should open, if it stays closed it is knackered. Use the same test for the electrical fan stat and check for closed circuit once the stat has reached temp using an ohm meter.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

squishio
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 07 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thermostat is fine...

I removed it, and stuck it in a pot and heated it up, it opened at around 85*C and closed at around that temp when cooling down...

Boiling...
https://i.imgur.com/5WRCni8.jpg

Open...
https://i.imgur.com/WlhElbN.jpg

Open...
https://i.imgur.com/U0bMDfK.jpg

Closing...
https://i.imgur.com/ZlkVePY.jpg

I've only just done this, so have not yet fitted it back onto the bike/gone for test ride, but I assume the thermostat is fine as it did exactly what it was supposed to do at (as far as I know) almost exactly the temperatures it's supposed to do it at.

I know it wouldn't be ideal as the engine will take longer to warm up, but could I leave the thermostat out, test ride and see if the temp rises as before?
It looks like the cover for the thermostat goes back on regardless of it being in place or not.
____________________
Current - Hornet 600, Transalp 650, X140 Pit, GPZ400R
Past - SY125, GT250, GT650, CX400, CBF600, Bandit 600, SL1000, GT250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

prawny1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda usually wire the fan via the parking light part of the ignition switch with it's own fuse so that if you park up with the fan on and put the ignition in park the fan stays running until the bike cools even with the key out.

Test the stat switch by shorting it to ground to see if the fan comes on if it doesn't Check if the park light works, that will tell you if the ignition is powering the circuit.

If you have no park light either you probably have a blown fuse if the park light does work it's bad wiring somewhere along the line or a dead fan.
____________________
hellkat wrote:

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

squishio
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 07 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall do that tomorrow Smile

However, regardless of the fan working or not, I don't think the bike should have gotten as hot as it did, considering it wasn't a particularly hot day and I wasn't stuck in traffic / sitting still...
____________________
Current - Hornet 600, Transalp 650, X140 Pit, GPZ400R
Past - SY125, GT250, GT650, CX400, CBF600, Bandit 600, SL1000, GT250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:55 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

squishio wrote:
I shall do that tomorrow Smile

However, regardless of the fan working or not, I don't think the bike should have gotten as hot as it did, considering it wasn't a particularly hot day and I wasn't stuck in traffic / sitting still...


Well, that depends, my NC27 used to run hot all the time, never got up to the red zone, but the heat coming out of it was very significant, the fan kicked in even when I was doing about 35-40mph at 6th, in summer of course. In colder weather the fan started to blow at every 3rd red light. I pushed that little Honda to the limit all the time, so I'm not surprised. Lots of mates and owners told me it was alright, that these bikes just get hot. The engine ran smooth and strong like a brand new. Thumbs Up
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:53 - 08 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

squishio wrote:

I would have expected that even without the fan kicking in, the bike should be able to keep itself reasonably cool in this 19* weather.


I just seen this quote - have had 3 Hornets before as well as my current one and they do usually run quite hot, particularly in London with all the stop / start traffic. Since I moved out of London now, my hornet runs very cool indeed and I have no issues whatsoever but it is recognized that they do heat up pretty darn quickly.

At least you've now determined the thermostat is working properly.

prawny1 wrote:
Honda usually wire the fan via the parking light part of the ignition switch with it's own fuse so that if you park up with the fan on and put the ignition in park the fan stays running until the bike cools even with the key out.

Test the stat switch by shorting it to ground to see if the fan comes on if it doesn't Check if the park light works, that will tell you if the ignition is powering the circuit.

If you have no park light either you probably have a blown fuse if the park light does work it's bad wiring somewhere along the line or a dead fan.


FYI for OP, the fuse for the fan is the 10A one in position A in the fuse box. As you've checked that though, I suspect it's now the fan motor switch or wiring at fault now. As above, start testing. I suspect you have a workshop manual to see the wiring diagram?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

squishio
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 07 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 08 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will check out the fan tonight and update accordingly, thanks guys.
____________________
Current - Hornet 600, Transalp 650, X140 Pit, GPZ400R
Past - SY125, GT250, GT650, CX400, CBF600, Bandit 600, SL1000, GT250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.63 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 85.28 Kb