Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike is running hot

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Draco87
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 04 Oct 2013    Post subject: Bike is running hot Reply with quote

Hi guys wonder if you could shed some light on this, I have a 1992 125 Yamaha sr custom when I bought the bike a few weeks ago I decided to do a full clean on it not done an oil change yet though, I cleaned and changed the air filter and sprayed the foam with a bit of air filter oil, I also did a full clean on the carburettor ever since ive cleaned the carb the bike is now running hotter than usual and will only start once the choke has been pulled out, I am wondering if I have not tightened/loosened anything correctly in the carb itself, has anyone come across this before, a friend has said that there may not be enough air getting in for the mixture
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 04 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the mixture is too lean. If it was too rich the engine would run colder, VTR1000SP had rich mixture on the back cylinder to cool down the exhaust valves. Take of the spark plug and check it for:

https://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Draco87
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:34 - 05 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply it has been very helpful Smile the problem o have noticed is when I run the run the bike I can smell a petrel scent from the engine and I had changed the spark plug due to issues starting the old one had alot of black soot on the bottom, ive had some advice that the bike may be running too rich and by doing some research on the plug it also corrisponse with that but I do still have trouble starting without the choke and the bike seems to be using a lot of fuel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:25 - 06 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you actually measure, the engine is getting much warmer than normally?

Rich mixture = colder engine (no need for choke to start)
Lean mixture = warmer engine (always needs choke to start)

I'm not sure you clearly understand what you're actually saying.

EDIT: Both, lean and rich mixture ruin the plug, plus lean mixture reduces the service life of your exhaust valve/s.
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Draco87
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 06 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

When im riding the bike to college and back the bike will give off a slight burning smell can't usually smell it until ive ridden for about 10-15 mins and a friend of mine who I ride with we'd stop off and his would be significantly cooler just by putting my hand on the engine itself I can also feel the heat through my boots I can't get an actual gauge because it doesn't have a temp gauge but it would cut out where as before it never did and
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 06 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the easiest thing to do here is to take the manual and set the carburetor to default settings. The mixture is probably too lean = too much air coming through the carburetor = not enough fuel going into the combustion chamber. Also use proper spark plug and air filter.

About the smell, does your engine lose oil or have you ever cleaned the engine? It's air cooled and more dirt you've got on it hotter it gets. Plus some brake pads get smelly when they're worn and get hot, to tell you, you should change them.

Start with the manual and try to set the carb right. Thumbs Up
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Draco87
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 06 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can now confirm that the bike was running slightly lean, ive the carb back off and blown through it all turned out the pilot jet was blocked and adjusted this also adjusted the mixture screw the bike is also ticking over better later on I will take her out and see how she runs, the smell I think was actually coming from the over flow as the pipe was a little wet hopefully fixed that too Confused Double checked spark and it was white at the end which idicates you were right showing signs it is running lean, but ill let you know on the progress Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Draco87
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:58 - 08 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just letting you know got the bike running right now she still bogs out a little which hopefully some fine tuning on the carb will fix Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 08 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you're getting there. Thumbs Up
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

2wheelsteve
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 08 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently removed my air box and replaced with air filter pods, the bike at first runs brilliant, starts first time often without choke but after about five miles winding the throttle off and the revs don't drop as they should, running hot as now too much air.
getting a dyno kit for the carbs though I heard with my bike turning up the fuel inlets 5 turns does the job.
Messing around with the carbs is something I hate as it rarely ends well but didn't realise changing to pods would cause so much of a problem.
either you have messed with the air filter/s or fiddling with the carb has caused your problem but since you said you messed with the air filter that would be the first and easiest to check, good luck.
____________________
Ride Safe
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:42 - 08 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

2wheelsteve wrote:
I recently removed my air box and replaced with air filter pods, the bike at first runs brilliant, starts first time often without choke but after about five miles winding the throttle off and the revs don't drop as they should, running hot as now too much air.
getting a dyno kit for the carbs though I heard with my bike turning up the fuel inlets 5 turns does the job.
Messing around with the carbs is something I hate as it rarely ends well but didn't realise changing to pods would cause so much of a problem.
either you have messed with the air filter/s or fiddling with the carb has caused your problem but since you said you messed with the air filter that would be the first and easiest to check, good luck.


That could actually be a crack/air leak on the manifold between the carburetor and the head. To check that, spray something flamable on the rubber manifold while the engine runs, if the revs raise then you've got to get a new manifold I'm afraid. Thumbs Up
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

2wheelsteve
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 08 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:


That could actually be a crack/air leak on the manifold between the carburetor and the head. To check that, spray something flamable on the rubber manifold while the engine runs, if the revs raise then you've got to get a new manifold I'm afraid. Thumbs Up


I have done that and replaced all four inlet to block from carb tubes, the old ones got too perished, this bike I have done tons of work on over the years including replacing the swing arm bushes which is an interesting job.
It has new plug caps, leads but there is the vacuum issue petrol feed but although if left a few days its best primed but normally very good, it used to run like shit, I have had the carbs off loads of times through running out of fuel hence getting rid of the air box makes carb removal easy
____________________
Ride Safe
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 363 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.4 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 78.33 Kb