Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Reccomend me some Chain cleaning spray and lube?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mrb-solutions
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 13 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reccomend me some Chain cleaning spray and lube? Reply with quote

Want to know what works best for people before I buy some?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Re: Reccomend me some Chain cleaning spray and lube? Reply with quote

mrb-solutions wrote:
Want to know what works best for people before I buy some?


I recommend you learn to post in the correct section...

The Workshop
Technical discussions and mechanical advice. Need help with your bike?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mrb-solutions
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 13 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, no need to be an arse. I thought it would be general bike chat as nothing is mechanically wrong nor do i need help on how to apply, one was merely asking how people would recommend in buying, my mistake.

If you are not helping then jog on?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:05 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrb-solutions wrote:
Alright, no need to be an arse.


He is our resident arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:05 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with lubing chains, it's just a bodge.

I just replace the chain when it starts to dry up Thumbs Up
____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrb-solutions wrote:
Alright, no need to be an arse. I thought it would be general bike chat as nothing is mechanically wrong nor do i need help on how to apply, one was merely asking how people would recommend in buying, my mistake.

If you are not helping then jog on?


General bike chat is like pub bike chat.

So unless you lube your chain down the pub, then it doesn't belong here.

Since you generally lube your chain doing maintenance which tends to happen in a workshop, that's where it belongs.
____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrb-solutions wrote:
Alright, no need to be an arse. I thought it would be general bike chat as nothing is mechanically wrong nor do i need help on how to apply, one was merely asking how people would recommend in buying, my mistake.

If you are not helping then jog on?


I am helping.

By directing you to the correct section of the forum to get the best info available for the subject you need advice about.


Last edited by CaNsA on 14:16 - 02 Nov 2013; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mrb-solutions
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 13 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that, fair enough, as I was just looking for advice. Didn't need someone to have a go just because I am new and didn't post in the correct section.

I don't know about you but my question sounds like general bike chat to me, just asking what people use etc.

Never mind
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrb-solutions wrote:
I get that, fair enough, as I was just looking for advice. Didn't need someone to have a go just because I am new and didn't post in the correct section.


I'm not the one who started being abusive....

Being new is no excuse for being unable to read the descriptions of each section.

I wasn't having a go, i was giving you advice.
You didn't like it, you called me an asshole.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mrb-solutions
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 13 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:17 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:


I wasn't having a go, i was giving you advice.
You didn't like it, you called me an asshole.



Ha I am actually sorry, I also called u an arse Razz No I wanted some bloody advice on what people recommend haha
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Screw Loose
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean with malt vinegar

And then lube with soft cheese - I prefer primula, however I know some people on this forum swear by Philadelphia Thumbs Up

Job jobbed Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Muc-Off chain cleaner with good results, but was given that for nothing, can't help thinking there must be a cheaper way of cleaning a chain.

Paraffin and a washing-up brush would probably work as well as anything maybe?

Can't comment on lube spray, my chain has a Scottoiler and I've always found a handful of spit does for anything else that needs a little lubrication Twisted Evil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbrand42 wrote:


Paraffin and a washing-up brush would probably work as well as anything maybe?



I use paraffin and a toothbrush to clean the chain, and get all the shit it's flung off from everywhere else. Best lube I've used was the Wurth stuff, didn't seem to get everywhere, unlike the Silkolene one I've been using recently.
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_mjs_
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:09 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

VehoDiscovery wrote:
lube with soft cheese - I prefer primula, however I know some people on this forum swear by Philadelphia Thumbs Up


This. Jimmy Savile always swore by soft cheese as sex lube... because 'kids will do anything for the taste of Dairylea' Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous Bikes: 2006 Honda XR125L > 2003 Yamaha DT125R > 1996 Honda CB500
Current bikes: 1997 Kawasaki ZZR 600 E5 > 2006 Honda Varadero XL125V
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont clean the chain, just use engine oil to grease it Thumbs Up
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick 50
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 02 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Paraffin fan here for cleaning. I use Castrol chain lube and wax, seems to be doing a decent job so far. Thumbs Up
____________________
Current Bikes: ZX7r 97 (Black Beauty), VFR400 NC24 (The banana)
Previous Bikes: Aprilia Tuono 03 (The Beast), CBR600f (97)
First bike: A GZ125 Lemon.......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andy_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:39 - 03 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also paraffin for cleaning...
During the summer (i.e. during times of minimal rain) I use a 'dry lube' (Wurth etc), and the other 51 weeks of wetness I just use spray grease. (clean when it looks like it needs it, spray grease it every couple of wet rides.)
____________________
Aprilia Classic 125, GS500E, ER5-A1, ER5-C4, ER6 & an XJ6 project frame...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:48 - 03 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paraffin or diesel to clean. I use a stiff washing up type brush and an offcut of plywood to prevent the tyre from being splattered.

Oil with EP90 gear oil. Apply it with an old paintbrush, allow it to soak in and wipe the excess off with a rag. It's heavy enough not to fling and it's recommended as a lubricant by bike and chain manufacturers.

Both paraffin/diesel and EP90 are as cheap as chips and work really well. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andy_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:58 - 03 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
and an offcut of plywood to prevent the tyre from being splattered.

^^^This! and some poly sheet on the floor to catch the drips so you don't wheel the bike over a patch of slippy stuff!
____________________
Aprilia Classic 125, GS500E, ER5-A1, ER5-C4, ER6 & an XJ6 project frame...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:23 - 03 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never cleaned a chain.
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 (Now gone to heaven) > CBR600F4i (SOLD) > '99 YZF-R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thepuma
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:46 - 03 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

janner_10 wrote:
I've never cleaned a chain.


Ive often thought this....ive never cleaned a chain, just lubed it every now and then...mainly cos im too lazy to go to the effort and mess of doing it.

Does a chain really need cleaning?
____________________
YBR125 (SOLD) - CBR250R(SOLD) - CBR650F(SOLD) Current - Street Triple
765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:20 - 03 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its best to get rid of all the bits of grit that will stick to your chain, cause if you oil over the top of crud you will just make a nice grinding paste. Better to get back to clean chain and go from there IMHO Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thepuma
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:52 - 03 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbrand42 wrote:
I think its best to get rid of all the bits of grit that will stick to your chain, cause if you oil over the top of crud you will just make a nice grinding paste. Better to get back to clean chain and go from there IMHO Thumbs Up


I tend to find when I spray the new lube on (castrol racing lube) it tends to wash off most of the crud and leaves a cleanish chain. Im probably spraying too much on, but I tend to feel that too much is better than too little.
____________________
YBR125 (SOLD) - CBR250R(SOLD) - CBR650F(SOLD) Current - Street Triple
765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:59 - 03 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepuma wrote:
Does a chain really need cleaning?


Yes. Over time the chain will have collected all sorts of road dirt which will mix with the lubricant to form an effective grinding paste and accelerate wear. Use of an oiler helps keep things clean but even then it'll need a proper clean once in a while.

Then there's the crud that accumulates under the front sprocket cover...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 03 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This;

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/product_images/medium/wurth_twin_pack.jpg

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/22977
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.31 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 126.1 Kb