|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Mantzy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mantzy Spanner Monkey

Joined: 30 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dodsi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dodsi Dirty Carny

Joined: 06 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| karen_moomin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 karen_moomin World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:43 - 23 Dec 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I love riding as pillion with McJam. It's the best feeling ever and I totally trust him. I don't mind the lack of control, because he rides better than I could anyway. I feel safer than when I'm riding my own bike!!
In France we did approx 1100 miles in a week with me pillion!! It was knackering and painful at times for us both - sports bikes are really not designed for that sort of touring. There were a couple of times when I leaned when I shouldn't have, but generally I think I was a good pillion!
You have to trust the person riding, and you soon learn their style. I've had a very short ride as pillion with someone else and it was horrible and I felt unsafe. It's definately an art you learn with one particular person and I think that's the way it should stay - they also learn your pillion style, weight and movements which is equally as important. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ninja |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ninja Caption Abuser

Joined: 22 Apr 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:10 - 23 Dec 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
It's interesting. I'm a control freak, but sometimes it's good to make yourself do something you don't really want to do.
I've mostly been pillion on my own bike, which adds a dimension of 'don't stack my bike' to the mix. But is always interesting when you see what someone who's actually *good* can pull off 2-up, makes you realise you should have no problem doing it by yourself.
Everything seems rather magnified on the back seat - a little lean feels like more cos you're further away from the CoG. Accelleration and braking are amplified cos you don't always know they're coming. And if you're used to the front seat, the back feels awfully near the end of the bike.
All that said, there are very few people I would go pillion with. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nick.h |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nick.h World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Sep 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:38 - 23 Dec 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
lol i was pillion on my bike. even though its a 50 it was still really fun. the only thing that worry me is falling off the back  ____________________ [Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Keith |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Keith World Chat Champion
Joined: 24 Mar 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:22 - 23 Dec 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
The sister was on the back of my bike this morning, doing the last of our christmas shopping. Decided it would be quicker to use the bike.
She's been on my Dads bike before, but this is the first time she's been on mine and it was the first time i've taken a pillion. To be honest, it was really fun. Bike didnt feel any different and she was leaning into corners with the bike which made things lots better and easier for me.
Afterwards, she had a huge grin on her face, loved it. (Might have to persuade her to get a bike of her own.)
I've been on my Dads bike a fair few times and I do enjoy being a pillion. Just the sitting there and holding on while someone else does the work makes it relaxing.  ____________________ Aprilia RSV Mille R Edwards Replica - Aprilia RS250 - Suzuki GSXR600 Supersport Race Bike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yambabe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yambabe World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:50 - 23 Dec 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
p until about 4 years ago, I had been pillion with my other half for years, and I loved it, although he had several bikes in that time and some of them were more comfortable than others!
My tip for all pillions re leaning is don't try too hard. I found the best thing to do was to have one hand resting lightly but flat on his back. that way, I tended to naturally move whenever he did, and he never complained!
What killed it for me was when we got knocked off. Luckily it wasn't a bad crash (broken collarbone for him, whiplash & bruises for me) but after that I never felt the same, I would freeze & tense at junctions, lean inappropriately etc etc - I just didn't enjoy it at all.
That was what prompted me to get my own bike and learn to ride. Well, that and the thought of all the extra luggage I could take to rallies with me!
Since I have been riding myself, I rarely need to go pillion, however I've done it a couple of times. I feel better about it than I used to (as Karen said, you have to totally trust your rider, and I do) but I now find the lack of control a bit disconcerting and I have to say I much prefer to be riding myself.
HTH. ____________________ Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| meyrick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 meyrick Scooby Slapper

Joined: 05 Dec 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:02 - 23 Dec 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have been pillion once on my mates 250. It was the first time I had ever touched a bike. I had a great time, even when (especially when?) he took me down a main road at 80-90. Saying that, I had complete trust in his riding ability. I had no problem leaning correctly, I didn't force it, it just felt natural to lean when I did. I have to say the experience convinced me to get a bike, although it's taken me 3 years to get here.
Paul  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ninja |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ninja Caption Abuser

Joined: 22 Apr 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Inglesina94 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Inglesina94 Trackday Trickster

Joined: 06 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:41 - 23 Dec 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I absolutely love being pillion ... as long as I trust the rider!
Being going pillion for much much longer than riding and it is easy, just relax and follow the way the rider moves into the corners, without fidgeting too much!!
After learning the rider style it is much easier not to "bump" into them and knowing when the bike is going to brake/accelerate!
Make sure you ride smooth at the beginning and take her advice in relation to speed ... if she gets scared at the beginning she will never want to come again!!
I haven't taken pillions yet but will want to try and start before the summer, once I get a bit more accustomed to the bike! ____________________
Passed my DAS - Third time lucky!!!!
Naked Bandit 600 ... Beautiful!!! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:59 - 23 Dec 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Went pillion for the first ever time in my life this evening on me Dads new bike! I was dead nervous at first but once I got the hang of it I enjoyed it sooo much! Made a change from going 30 on a Moped and at the lights we steamed away from everybody so I put a finger up to teh Nova Bois.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Spiral |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Spiral Traffic Copper

Joined: 17 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| simon1221 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 simon1221 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| K!K @ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 K!K @ Nova Slayer

Joined: 22 Dec 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:21 - 24 Dec 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Fucking Ace !!!!!
especially when your on a GSXR 600 at 145mph.
you ever get the chance, go for it  ____________________ Suzuki AY50 Katana
~Elite~Knights~ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:04 - 24 Dec 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
As so many have already said. The enjoyment of being a pillion can only really come from trust.
Being able to anticipate braking and acceleration can help, but the best thing your girlfriend can do, is to learn to relax and let you take control. When I started riding pillion, once I relaxed and was able to look around me, see over hedges/into people's cars etc. I really started to enjoy it a great deal more.
Now, I have the almighty problem of trying to ride the bike from the back seat... Plus I nearly always have kittens if I am pillion on my own bike.  ____________________ Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell!
www.bikepics.com/members/bella |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mrchips |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mrchips World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Mar 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:16 - 24 Dec 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
My bike instructor gave me a backy on his Blackbird and opened her up. I wasn't expecting it at all and near fell off the back! I've been on about 3 or 4 bikes as pillion and usually alright as long as the riders not a mad man. It's always scary thinking "oh dear, he might crash and I can't stop it".  ____________________ Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Marc_Buck |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Marc_Buck Could Be A Chat Bot
Joined: 31 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dotti |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dotti Scooby Slapper

Joined: 18 Dec 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| wildcat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 wildcat Spanner Monkey

Joined: 17 Dec 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 04:36 - 28 Dec 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Every now and then i still go pillion with a mate. it's great to be able to sit back and relax a bit. you have to trust whoever's driving and the person driving has to trust the pillion. I prefer the back of a big heavy bike. i feel safer. most of the time i'm on the back of a suzuki v-strom1000 or yamaha thundercat.
i wouldn't feel safe taking a pillion on my bike. not yet. ____________________ https://www.bebo.com/Z1000-Wildkat |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fire_Eyes |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fire_Eyes Crazy Courier

Joined: 07 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:40 - 28 Dec 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'v been pillion twice so far, can't say it was nice cause I crashed during the second time . Anyway, I don't like it, I like to be in control. There's this feeling where you think your not gonna make it , if the rider is better than you you will, if not you won't. However, it is fun. When I'm pillion I can look at car windows and other things . ____________________ Kawasaki ZZR 400 | K5 GSX-R 600 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Minky_monkey |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Minky_monkey Traffic Copper

Joined: 01 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:50 - 28 Dec 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oh I hate it.
I've only been on the back of two bikes, and RS250 and an R1.
I loves riding them, but going pillion craps the life out of me, I can't get comfortable and I fidget.
I'm probably a riders worse nightmare.....  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|