Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What's it like as a pillion?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:50 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: What's it like as a pillion? Reply with quote

I've never done it, not recently at least (being 5 last time doesn't count!) so was just wondering.

Is it as fun as riding yourself? Does it feel safe? Do you feel an extreme lack of control?

Most of us on here are riders but how many of us have actually been pillion? I'm trying to get Mrs Mantzy into bikes, but how can I when I don't actually know what she's going through. Asking someone who's done both front and back seat might help me relay info to her.

She's getting better though, grabbing me for accelerating from lights, hand on tank for braking. Got a Bikemike 3 today, testing it out after Christmas (get new helmet then, no point attaching the velcro patchs to old helmet is there!)

Cheers
R
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:56 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been pillion, but I hope to pluck up the courage of going on the back of me Dad's bike.

Thing is I am a bit of a control freak so I will probably frak out on the back knowing where my braking points are and absolutely shitting myself in general.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:58 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a pillion recently (ish) on my mates GPZ 500, didnt like it!

Not keen on riding 2's up but am insured too, may take my mate on the bike with me (if he dares)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:43 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love riding as pillion with McJam. It's the best feeling ever and I totally trust him. I don't mind the lack of control, because he rides better than I could anyway. I feel safer than when I'm riding my own bike!! Razz

In France we did approx 1100 miles in a week with me pillion!! It was knackering and painful at times for us both - sports bikes are really not designed for that sort of touring. There were a couple of times when I leaned when I shouldn't have, but generally I think I was a good pillion!

You have to trust the person riding, and you soon learn their style. I've had a very short ride as pillion with someone else and it was horrible and I felt unsafe. It's definately an art you learn with one particular person and I think that's the way it should stay - they also learn your pillion style, weight and movements which is equally as important.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ninja
Caption Abuser



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:59 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally hate it - it's the lack of control ( or more to the point, lack of trust or knowledge of the pilot )
____________________
James
4 wheels transport the Body ... 2 wheels transport the SOUL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go on the back of my flatmates bike sometimes... last time it ended up in a 150mph blast with me holding on to the back bar all the way! :S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:10 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting. I'm a control freak, but sometimes it's good to make yourself do something you don't really want to do.

I've mostly been pillion on my own bike, which adds a dimension of 'don't stack my bike' to the mix. But is always interesting when you see what someone who's actually *good* can pull off 2-up, makes you realise you should have no problem doing it by yourself.

Everything seems rather magnified on the back seat - a little lean feels like more cos you're further away from the CoG. Accelleration and braking are amplified cos you don't always know they're coming. And if you're used to the front seat, the back feels awfully near the end of the bike. Smile

All that said, there are very few people I would go pillion with.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nick.h
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:38 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Smile i was pillion on my bike. even though its a 50 it was still really fun. the only thing that worry me is falling off the back Confused
____________________
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sister was on the back of my bike this morning, doing the last of our christmas shopping. Decided it would be quicker to use the bike.

She's been on my Dads bike before, but this is the first time she's been on mine and it was the first time i've taken a pillion. To be honest, it was really fun. Bike didnt feel any different and she was leaning into corners with the bike which made things lots better and easier for me.

Afterwards, she had a huge grin on her face, loved it. (Might have to persuade her to get a bike of her own.)

I've been on my Dads bike a fair few times and I do enjoy being a pillion. Just the sitting there and holding on while someone else does the work makes it relaxing. Smile
____________________
Aprilia RSV Mille R Edwards Replica - Aprilia RS250 - Suzuki GSXR600 Supersport Race Bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:50 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

p until about 4 years ago, I had been pillion with my other half for years, and I loved it, although he had several bikes in that time and some of them were more comfortable than others!

My tip for all pillions re leaning is don't try too hard. I found the best thing to do was to have one hand resting lightly but flat on his back. that way, I tended to naturally move whenever he did, and he never complained!

What killed it for me was when we got knocked off. Luckily it wasn't a bad crash (broken collarbone for him, whiplash & bruises for me) but after that I never felt the same, I would freeze & tense at junctions, lean inappropriately etc etc - I just didn't enjoy it at all.

That was what prompted me to get my own bike and learn to ride. Well, that and the thought of all the extra luggage I could take to rallies with me! Laughing

Since I have been riding myself, I rarely need to go pillion, however I've done it a couple of times. I feel better about it than I used to (as Karen said, you have to totally trust your rider, and I do) but I now find the lack of control a bit disconcerting and I have to say I much prefer to be riding myself.

HTH.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

meyrick
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been pillion once on my mates 250. It was the first time I had ever touched a bike. I had a great time, even when (especially when?) he took me down a main road at 80-90. Saying that, I had complete trust in his riding ability. I had no problem leaning correctly, I didn't force it, it just felt natural to lean when I did. I have to say the experience convinced me to get a bike, although it's taken me 3 years to get here.

Paul Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ninja
Caption Abuser



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:20 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think non-riders make better pillions that riders - I find the riders tend to try and pre-empt leaning/ bends/ stops etc upsetting your balance. Non-riders just sit there like a sack o spuds and make life easy!
____________________
James
4 wheels transport the Body ... 2 wheels transport the SOUL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Inglesina94
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love being pillion ... as long as I trust the rider!

Being going pillion for much much longer than riding and it is easy, just relax and follow the way the rider moves into the corners, without fidgeting too much!!

After learning the rider style it is much easier not to "bump" into them and knowing when the bike is going to brake/accelerate!

Make sure you ride smooth at the beginning and take her advice in relation to speed ... if she gets scared at the beginning she will never want to come again!!

I haven't taken pillions yet but will want to try and start before the summer, once I get a bit more accustomed to the bike!
____________________
Dance! Dance! Dance! Passed my DAS - Third time lucky!!!!
Naked Bandit 600 ... Beautiful!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went pillion for the first ever time in my life this evening on me Dads new bike! I was dead nervous at first but once I got the hang of it I enjoyed it sooo much! Made a change from going 30 on a Moped and at the lights we steamed away from everybody so I put a finger up to teh Nova Bois. Laughing
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Spiral
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word scary, done it a few times on my mates R1.

He rides like bloody ghost rider and it scares the shits out of me so i would say you need to trust whoever your with.
____________________
****NORTHERN IRELAND NEWSFLASH!!**** According to a recent survey, 94% of loyalists said the best sex they ever had was in the shower; the other 6% haven't been to jail yet.***
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

simon1221
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you trust whoever is riding not to be a prat without warning you first, then yea its great fun, i went on the back of my dads K100RS and i loved every minute of it, yeh sure i was scared at first but it was easyier to go the same speed on my own bike

on the back or a k100 (bmw) it feels like an armchair!

great fun, however dont go on your friends bike especially if they have R1's or something big and scary

make sure you trust them and only go fast if you ask them to

it is useful if you are a learner rider as well as you get a feel for biking so its less to learn when you jump on your own bike

i, however am lacking in confidence at the moment after being scared on my own bike when the carb float got stuck open and the revs were uncontrollable, but that is something else
____________________
DNA50 (sorry) ->> TZR125l >> GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

K!K @
Nova Slayer



Joined: 22 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:21 - 24 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking Ace !!!!!
especially when your on a GSXR 600 at 145mph.
you ever get the chance, go for it Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki AY50 Katana
~Elite~Knights~
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 24 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As so many have already said. The enjoyment of being a pillion can only really come from trust.

Being able to anticipate braking and acceleration can help, but the best thing your girlfriend can do, is to learn to relax and let you take control. When I started riding pillion, once I relaxed and was able to look around me, see over hedges/into people's cars etc. I really started to enjoy it a great deal more.

Now, I have the almighty problem of trying to ride the bike from the back seat... Plus I nearly always have kittens if I am pillion on my own bike. Shocked
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 24 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike instructor gave me a backy on his Blackbird and opened her up. I wasn't expecting it at all and near fell off the back! I've been on about 3 or 4 bikes as pillion and usually alright as long as the riders not a mad man. It's always scary thinking "oh dear, he might crash and I can't stop it". Laughing
____________________
Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marc_Buck
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 31 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:26 - 25 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja wrote:
Non-riders just sit there like a sack o spuds and make life easy!


Hehe,

Anyway i think after a few sessions of pillion with someone is enough to trust them, obviously you would trust others more than some.
____________________
94 fzr600r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dotti
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 25 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you trust the rider it's generally good fun. You get to take in the experience much more than when you are in control, as there is less to concentrate on.

I lived in Thailand for three years. Over there they have motorbike taxis. It's certainly an experience (not always a good one) to be weaving through traffic on the back of bike being ridden by somebody, whose riding ability is completely unknown.
____________________
Dangerous traffic offences spotted on 50-minute trip: Lost count after 100. Number of traffic cops spotted: One, sitting by a speed-trap camera
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wildcat
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:36 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every now and then i still go pillion with a mate. it's great to be able to sit back and relax a bit. you have to trust whoever's driving and the person driving has to trust the pillion. I prefer the back of a big heavy bike. i feel safer. most of the time i'm on the back of a suzuki v-strom1000 or yamaha thundercat.
i wouldn't feel safe taking a pillion on my bike. not yet.
____________________
https://www.bebo.com/Z1000-Wildkat
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fire_Eyes
Crazy Courier



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:40 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v been pillion twice so far, can't say it was nice cause I crashed during the second time Laughing . Anyway, I don't like it, I like to be in control. There's this feeling where you think your not gonna make it , if the rider is better than you you will, if not you won't. However, it is fun. When I'm pillion I can look at car windows and other things Razz .
____________________
Kawasaki ZZR 400 | K5 GSX-R 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been pillion with anyone other than my parents and 1 close family friend.

All are advanced motorcyclists who have been riding all their lives. The bikes have been:

Diversion
BMW R80RT
VFR800
Ducati Monster
Ducati Pantah
Ducati 900SS

I don't really feel the sense of helplessness, because I trust the rider completely. My mum very nearly dropped her brand new divvy in the centre of London. Me being nearly a foot taller just put a foot down and held it up.

I've only been pillion once since I've been a rider, I find myself doing lifesavers, not sure what that does for the rider.

Just take it easy on the first ride, bare in mind filtering is quite scarey for a pillion because you just don't know how close your knees are to those wingmirrors!

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Minky_monkey
Traffic Copper



Joined: 01 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:50 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I hate it.

I've only been on the back of two bikes, and RS250 and an R1.

I loves riding them, but going pillion craps the life out of me, I can't get comfortable and I fidget.

I'm probably a riders worse nightmare..... Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.93 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 131.09 Kb