Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Would you keep riding on this tyre?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ride or replace
Keep riding on the tyre
27%
 27%  [ 20 ]
Replace the trye
72%
 72%  [ 54 ]
Total Votes : 74

Author Message

Vracktal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:44 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Would you keep riding on this tyre? Reply with quote

So, after a blowout on the A3 on Monday, I decided to swap both my tyres for a pair of brand new Continental Road Attack 2 tyres.

However, by Wednesday...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5523/12319154634_3042e9d793_b.jpg

Just noticed this at work. The culprit this time:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2836/12319157974_18f7efe7b5_b.jpg

My question is, although the blade has gone through the tread, the shallow angle means it doesn't seem to have gone all the way into the tyre- it's still holding air (for now, anyway)

My question is, should I replace the tyre, or should I just keep riding on it? My commute is generally 15 miles city riding followed by 15 miles motorway (80-90mph stuff)

I'm worried the tread will rip further and eventually delaminate, but on the other hand I can't afford a new rear to replace one that's only literally two days old.
____________________
2007 BMW R1200R: On road
2009 BMW G650X Challenge: On road
1975 Norton Commando 850: Off road, awaiting recommissioning


Last edited by Vracktal on 10:53 - 05 Feb 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Benjums
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see the pics mate, although by your description I would replace the tyre because that is a week spot and if you have a blow out at 80-90 on the motorway then your going to be doing one hell of a superman impression but I don't think you will get the landing right.
Can see the pics now.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Musketeer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:56 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me I would change the tyre. Shame it happened to a new tyre but it's f00ked now. But that's just my opinion.

If it was just a nail puncture I would plug it.
____________________
Current Bike: Yamaha XSR900 Previous bikes: Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade, Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja, Aprilia RS125 2-stroke


Last edited by Musketeer on 10:58 - 05 Feb 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't be going mad on that. That must of penetrated a fair way through the tread, albeit at a shallow angle, and although the thing's holding air at the moment, I wouldn't fancy having a possible weakness in a tyre when doing 80-90mph on a motorway.

I know how it feels though to have that happen, I once had a new rear boot put on my K4, and came home to see a screw buried in it, literally less than 10 miles old.
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between the amount of blade visible and the picture of it in your hand is quite worrying so I would possibly change it, and that's coming from someone who plugs their punctures from the outside and rides on them til they are done!
____________________
The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:06 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace with a part worn. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:11 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjums wrote:
Can't see the pics mate, although by your description I would replace the tyre because that is a week spot and if you have a blow out at 80-90 on the motorway then your going to be doing one hell of a superman impression but I don't think you will get the landing right.
Can see the pics now.


I enjoyed a front blow out on the autoroute at over 80mph. Nothing much happened other than the steering got heavy and the bike wobbled a little. It was easy to come of the throttle slowly and pull over.

The tyre had a hole large enough to fit four fingers in.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rizzix
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:
had a hole large enough to fit four fingers in.


*childish snigger*
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:27 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ride that bitch.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'd ride that bitch.


And only that bitch with the front wheel up?

For piece of mind, change the tyre.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden on worse and at higher speeds, your life to risk though not mine.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:45 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it's always a case of, certain things you can let go to a degree on a bike, but when it's tyres or brakes, don't mess about. I'd replace it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:49 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
For me, it's always a case of, certain things you can let go to a degree on a bike, but when it's tyres or brakes, don't mess about. I'd replace it.
Same as this for me, especially considering you do a lot of motorway miles - I wouldn't want to find out it should of been replaced afterall mid-commute at 90mph Shifty

One of those inevitable ironies that when you get something nice and new something comes along and does it in shortly after.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Benjums
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:55 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rizzix wrote:
c-m wrote:
had a hole large enough to fit four fingers in.


*childish snigger*


Twisted Evil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would buy punctureseal and put that in your tyre, punctureseal has done me fine on three different puntures so far
____________________
Elen sila lummen omentielvo!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how far it went in.

If it didn't go deeper than the deepest bit of tread, I'd ride on it without giving a single fuck.

If it went deeper than that, I'd be a bit wary of it.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ViniH
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 04 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Would you keep riding on this tyre? Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:

However, by Wednesday...


Get the damaged area vulcanised. We have a guy in the area that comes out and fixes punctures properly, I am sure there will be a similar service in your area.

No need for a new tyre, but I wouldn't feel safe on that myself without getting it repaired.
____________________
Currently Riding: MT-07 Previous: XJ 600 N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:23 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ride on it, but if it was a big gash (...never good) then I'd get my fingers and stuff some vulcanising glue in it. I'd probably make tennis noises at the same time. You should do too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vracktal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Depends how far it went in.

If it didn't go deeper than the deepest bit of tread, I'd ride on it without giving a single fuck.

If it went deeper than that, I'd be a bit wary of it.


I'm trying to work out how deep it went, I think it went deeper than the tread though, based on how fuckoff massive the blade is. The tyre is still holding air but I can peel a chunk of the rubber almost a half centimeter thick away from the main carcass.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7409/12322904213_24120c1d0d_b.jpg
____________________
2007 BMW R1200R: On road
2009 BMW G650X Challenge: On road
1975 Norton Commando 850: Off road, awaiting recommissioning
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

covent.gardens
World Clap Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode for months with no effective front brake... but I wouldn't ride with that tyre, not unless it's looked at/fixed anyway.

Looks like it's gone in too far IMO, problem is too bad to ignore.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TT_Man
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would change it, although shallow it went deep enough to damage the strengthening chords. Could fail catastrophically under load.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

covent.gardens wrote:
I rode for months with no effective front brake... but I wouldn't ride with that tyre, not unless it's looked at/fixed anyway.

Looks like it's gone in too far IMO, problem is too bad to ignore.


That seems really odd to me. Maybe I'd put up with an ineffective rear brake for a short while, if I had no alternative transport. But at this time of year, when you might favour the rear a bit more due to slippery conditions, I'd still sort it ASAP. No front brake? No way.

Is there any kind of repair that would guarantee that tyre? I doubt it. You'll be forever wondering if you don't replace it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

devojunior
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

just ride it, but if you do go for the gay option and finning anew tyre make sur eto post vids of rolling burnouts and stuff yeah .
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:36 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a trip back to the garage that supplied the tyre. Get them to take it off and have a proper look at the damage from the inside.

Do they not have a guarantee on things like this. Avon do.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you suspect that it's penetrated the carcass then I'd say replace it. If it's been ridden then who knows what damage it may have inflicted. It's a tough call.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.43 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 129.95 Kb