Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Excel help needed! Filtering data and nice dropdowns

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:06 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Excel help needed! Filtering data and nice dropdowns Reply with quote

Excel wizards, please help!
 
I’ve been given a list of vendors. Each covers one or more of our three regions: West, Central and East.
 
What I’m trying to do is have a nice little drop down box at the top spreadsheet where I can tick whether I want some or all of the vendors to show based on their region – complicated because some cover more than one region.
I don’t have a clue how to do this, and once I’ve figured it out I’ll need to do it again to narrow the results even further based on which of three departments here they work with.
 
Thank you!
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:08 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Excel help needed! Filtering data and nice dropdowns Reply with quote

Can you send an example of the Spreadsheet?

If not it depends how the multiple locations are set up.

If they are in separate rows then its easy.

Just make a pivot table with the vendor as the column and the different location rows as separate report filters.
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment it's divided by columns, vendor name, address (this isn't something I am going to let them search by) and then region.

I had the idea of making a separate column for west, central and east and putting an X in if that region is covered by that vendor, because I don't have a clue what I'm doing.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:47 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a Pivot Table, seems halfway there - how would you set it so you can have multiple words in the Regions column (for example, Central and West) but be able to pick either just one or both?
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-AutoFilter-in-MS-Excel
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:27 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalangel wrote:
Made a Pivot Table, seems halfway there - how would you set it so you can have multiple words in the Regions column (for example, Central and West) but be able to pick either just one or both?


Highlight all the region cells and click Data>Text to Columns. then choose Delimited and select what they are separated by (comma, space, tab, ect).

Then you can either do a Pivot table or a filter, I think pivot table are a bit tidier.
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
metalangel wrote:
Made a Pivot Table, seems halfway there - how would you set it so you can have multiple words in the Regions column (for example, Central and West) but be able to pick either just one or both?


Highlight all the region cells and click Data>Text to Columns. then choose Delimited and select what they are separated by (comma, space, tab, ect).

Then you can either do a Pivot table or a filter, I think pivot table are a bit tidier.


That doesn't seem to solve the issue. I want to have multiple words in the same column, but not have those show up as separate options. As it stands when I make a table now, I can sort the data by:
West
West Central
West East
East

What I want to show up is:
West
Central
East

So that if I select West, I get all stuff that is West only as well as everything that is West Central and West East. Likewise if I were to tick both West and Central then I would only get stuff that fulfills both those criteria.

This is why I wondered if having separate columns for each region with a tick mark would help as that could basically work as a flag when it searches - if Column E has an X then it shows up in a search for West. I am just confusing things further by doing that, I think.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the auto filter yet?
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Have you tried the auto filter yet?


That sort of does what I want, but I had hoped to have three tick boxes to set the filter as opposed to having to type it in. As it stands if I tick West it filters precisely that value only while if I type it, it does what I want and gives me all the results that contain West, including those that also contain East and Central.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:08 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you click on "custom", then select "contains" and set it to "West"?

What version of Excel are you using?
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this close to what you're after?
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:34 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do that, but that doesn't let me add a specific "Central" tick box to the filter nor does it let me remove the tick boxes that combine values.

Excel 2010. Section of the file (with company names changed, obv) is here:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=705BF3A6F7ED7E60!167&authkey=!AJYJjTqKxCVqiJU&ithint=file%2c.xlsx
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:20 - 07 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Is this close to what you're after?


Now that I'm home and can look at the file... you're at the same stage I'm in, in that you need to type in a search for something, you can't define one of those tickboxes to mean the same as a 'contains' search, only an 'equals' search.

Thanks for trying, I think tomorrow I'll just move on to the next stage which is combining the data from another two spreadsheets in. The main reason this is being done is because an exec asked three departments to list all their vendors, and each one did it differently. He's picked the format he likes best and is asking that I change the data from the other two to fit its arrangement. That 'text to columns' thing is new to me and might come in very handy if I can figure out a way to make it split company names and office locations out given they aren't all in the same cities... Karma
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 07 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

open vba and define your own filters.

you could also have two rows for a particular company
____________________
Duke 390
Previous: '05 XR125L | '96 XJ600S Diversion |'05 Suzuki GSXR1000 | '05 Honda CBR125-R | '97 YZF 600R Thundercat | '11 Honda CBR250
Car: Jeep Wrangler 4.0L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:17 - 08 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalangel wrote:
The main reason this is being done is because an exec asked three departments to list all their vendors, and each one did it differently. He's picked the format he likes best and is asking that I change the data from the other two to fit its arrangement.


You are creating a lot of aids for yourself and ongoing confusion for the company by fudging the shit out of the data yourself.

Furthermore, by taking on the responsibility of assigning the regions to the vendors yourself, when the exec starts questioning the departments about their vendors, they will be able to point the finger at you for dicking about with the region assignment.

Your solution for this is nothing to do with Excel.

What you need to do is define the regions with the exec, communicate these to the departments, and have them assign the vendors appropriately.

That at least will avoid you getting any shit, and is a perfectly reasonable thing to request, now that the exec has made a decision as to how he wants it. Make it clear it is his wish, if they don't comply, they have to answer to him.





Now. If there are vendors who cover multiple regions, then have THREE columns, one central, one east, one west. Use a drop down list to have a 'Yes' in these columns for the depts to select whether that vendor covers (or is based in?) that region, or leave blank/use 'No'. Then you can filter using these columns easily, or more nicely, a simple pivywiv table of joy will sort you out.

So yeah, properly define the requirement, then give the buggers a template to fill out which fits your purpose.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 08 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the fuck are you on about?
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:54 - 09 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to help you do your job better, rather than fucking around because you lack the balls to go back to the departments now that you actually know the requirement.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:32 - 09 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you saw the extent information I'd already been provided with and the full details of what I've been asked to do with it, rather than second guessing, you'd see what a load of nonsense you'd just talked.

Probably the most crucial thing is that all of the vendors came on lists specifically saying what regions they service. I have everything I need already to get this done as requested, and just wanted to make it a bit nicer looking in Excel, hence that being the only thing I asked for help on.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:48 - 09 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three columns to the right of the data.

One titled 'West', one titled 'Central', one titled 'East'.

Use logic formula to populate these columns with 'Yes' if that vendor services that area (or you can do it manually for the ambiguous ones).

Some vendors will have 'Yes' in only one, some in two, and some in all three.

Then whack it into the pivot. Use the region columns as filter fields on the pivot. To select West vendors only, set the west column to 'Yes', and have the other two unfiltered. To find those which service west and east but not Central, set West column to 'Yes', Central to '(blanks)' and East column to 'Yes'.

By adding further columns to the right, you can use those to populate which departments they work with - which should be a piece of piss to populate as you will be able to use the list the department sent you as a data source for a logic formula using a vlookup to give a 'Yes/no' determination for any vendor. Probably take you an hour or two at most, including time for ironing out any issues with naming consistency.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:57 - 09 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalangel wrote:
If you saw the extent information I'd already been provided with and the full details of what I've been asked to do with it, rather than second guessing, you'd see what a load of nonsense you'd just talked.

Probably the most crucial thing is that all of the vendors came on lists specifically saying what regions they service. I have everything I need already to get this done as requested, and just wanted to make it a bit nicer looking in Excel, hence that being the only thing I asked for help on.


you obviously don't work with large datasets that often. What D O G suggested is perfectly reasonable. If it really is that large of a dataset and you want it to look pretty do it in access and design a form.
____________________
Duke 390
Previous: '05 XR125L | '96 XJ600S Diversion |'05 Suzuki GSXR1000 | '05 Honda CBR125-R | '97 YZF 600R Thundercat | '11 Honda CBR250
Car: Jeep Wrangler 4.0L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 240 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 0.54 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 115.29 Kb