Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Electronics - 555 timers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Electronics - 555 timers Reply with quote

I thought I'd have a go at figuring out electronics recently - I got my self a nice breadboard and a starter kit of bits, with some related projects such as this -

https://www.electronicsclub.info/p_flashingled.htm

The trouble is, I want to study the circuit and there's bugger all on the site telling me what's happening. I've done the basics like Ohm's law, and calculating power use, components etc. - I'm looking at capacitors now and found that I can slow down the flashing light with a higher-rated capacitor..

..so what's the 555 timer for in this circuit? Thinking
____________________
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
You're in ISIS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read this bit?

Quote:
For a circuit diagram of the 555 astable circuit used in this project please see the Stripboard page.


https://www.electronicsclub.info/stripboard.htm#example
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your circuit is simply a 555 Astable

https://www.technologystudent.com/elec1/5555.htm

The 555 IC can also be used as a timer, google 555 Monostable to find more.
____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Did you read this bit?


No I didn't see that, I don't have a stripboard - I didn't click on the 'construct' link for that matter Mr. Green

PhilDawson8270 wrote:
https://www.technologystudent.com/elec1/5555.htm


Thanks for that, I'll look forward to checking more of that site out too. Thumbs Up
____________________
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
You're in ISIS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dagon
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:14 - 07 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're starting electronics completely from scratch get a copy of Make: Electronics, it's excellent.

There's also a chapter on the 555 in there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Make-Electronics-Learning-Discovery-Through/dp/0596153740/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391764352&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=make+eletronics
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:19 - 07 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to find a copy of crocclips. Let's you build all kinds of circuits on your PC. Of you mess up it even makes a little fire ball when the circuit goes pop.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 07 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice - saves me asking!

A nice papery book is likely what's needed for re-reading with one eye covered while my brain struggles to cope..

And I've seen a few sims, that might be a good way to blend the real and theoretical without bits of LED sticking out of my face..!
____________________
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
You're in ISIS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:23 - 07 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've any interest in building radio gear, check out "Crystal Sets to Sideband".

PDF: https://www.qrparci.org/wa0itp/csts_book.pdf

Starts super simple and gets gradually more complex.

I've been teaching myself RF electronics the last two years and now I've found designing lighting and power electronics is a piece of piss!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 07 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad was an electronic engineer before he retired so it might be in the genes; my mum was a dinner lady though Shocked

I've downloaded that book, cheers! It might be the way forward, with little rewards along the way.
____________________
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
You're in ISIS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 07 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatbadger wrote:
My dad was an electronic engineer before he retired so it might be in the genes; my mum was a dinner lady though Shocked



Should be handy if the microwave ever packs up.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:58 - 08 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Electronics - 555 timers Reply with quote

Flatbadger wrote:
I'm looking at capacitors now and found that I can slow down the flashing light with a higher-rated capacitor..

..so what's the 555 timer for in this circuit? Thinking


you can also slow it by using higher rated resistors
its the relationship between them that controls the frequency
it charges via r1 and r2 and discharges via r2 .

Years ago you could buy engineers mini notebooks by Forrest Mims III plus his 'getting started in electronics' from Tandy ( who remembers Tandy?)
which were great down to earth, practical, starter and reference books and much loved.
I was more a ( dirty) hands on site techie but a mate with a degree in electonics used to the more cerebral stuff loves em too
Great for getting started, or later, refreshing the memory.

Still got a few from back then, I think I gave my lads the others
One still has a 1.49 price tag on it
I saw the same book on amazon for 51 quid !!! WTF?
They're probably downloadable as PDFs or via torrent
(pause, tippety tap on keys)
yep, they are if you know where look

Edit:
As I still have the 555 one here, I took a quick pic to give you an idea of what they're like.
the pics 2 in 1, they're actually A5 format ( A4 folded in half)
https://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302/reggiecx/FM1_zps28fca6f5.jpg
____________________
bikers smell of wee
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:31 - 09 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slowly getting it now, I'm going through loads of videos and seeing who explains it in the best way for me, certainly I need to investigate how the voltage is being manipulated around the 555.

Interesting that you add the picture of the Tandy* book, it featured in one of the vids but I mistook it for the bloke's own exercise book - I though you were him for a second there Doh!

I made a prototype water level detector for my bath yesterday, and it worked! I might make improvements for next year's bath.

This is a great leap forward for Flatbadger Industries Inc. and as well as that, my sound generator project has resulted only in a Hot Chip, so I'm down with the kids too.

* I got my radio scanner from Tandy years ago - and was trying it only last night. Back in the days of analogue phones, there was a plethora of interesting stuff to er.. avoid. But last night I only managed a snatch of a taxi driver Sick
____________________
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
You're in ISIS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 11 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest M Mimms is worth looking up thoughs his books are almost collectable.

Look up circuit simulators as well if you have a tablet. I have a couple on my Samsung tab 2. Handy for just trying things out.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:35 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boozehawk - I now have the Mims 555 book and a copy of the Croc Clips program, thanks to a couple of BCFers. I've found that a virtual electronic organ crashes it though Smile

There's a 555 simulator here which I'm going to look at soon as well.

Next I'm off to Maplin for fuses as I overloaded my multimeter Wink
____________________
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
You're in ISIS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:41 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatbadger wrote:
Thanks Boozehawk - I now have the Mims 555 book and a copy of the Croc Clips program, thanks to a couple of BCFers. I've found that a virtual electronic organ crashes it though Smile

There's a 555 simulator here which I'm going to look at soon as well.

Next I'm off to Maplin for fuses as I overloaded my multimeter Wink


Every Circuit for Android is the emulator I use. Its updated regularly and very visual and people upload their circuits to it as well.
You have to be carefull with oscilating circuits as they can start creating some big numbers and crash software.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 235 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.44 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 93.94 Kb