|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Flatbadger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Flatbadger World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Apr 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:06 - 06 Feb 2014 Post subject: Electronics - 555 timers |
 |
|
I thought I'd have a go at figuring out electronics recently - I got my self a nice breadboard and a starter kit of bits, with some related projects such as this -
https://www.electronicsclub.info/p_flashingled.htm
The trouble is, I want to study the circuit and there's bugger all on the site telling me what's happening. I've done the basics like Ohm's law, and calculating power use, components etc. - I'm looking at capacitors now and found that I can slow down the flashing light with a higher-rated capacitor..
..so what's the 555 timer for in this circuit?  ____________________ If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
You're in ISIS |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Shaggy D.A. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Shaggy D.A. Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lihp |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lihp World Chat Champion
Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:39 - 06 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Your circuit is simply a 555 Astable
https://www.technologystudent.com/elec1/5555.htm
The 555 IC can also be used as a timer, google 555 Monostable to find more. ____________________ covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Flatbadger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Flatbadger World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Apr 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Quornholio |
This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Quornholio World Chat Champion
Joined: 11 Jun 2011 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dagon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dagon Borekit Bruiser

Joined: 12 Apr 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:14 - 07 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:19 - 07 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
You need to find a copy of crocclips. Let's you build all kinds of circuits on your PC. Of you mess up it even makes a little fire ball when the circuit goes pop. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Flatbadger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Flatbadger World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Apr 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| smegballs |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 smegballs World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Oct 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:23 - 07 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you've any interest in building radio gear, check out "Crystal Sets to Sideband".
PDF: https://www.qrparci.org/wa0itp/csts_book.pdf
Starts super simple and gets gradually more complex.
I've been teaching myself RF electronics the last two years and now I've found designing lighting and power electronics is a piece of piss! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Flatbadger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Flatbadger World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Apr 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:56 - 07 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
My dad was an electronic engineer before he retired so it might be in the genes; my mum was a dinner lady though
I've downloaded that book, cheers! It might be the way forward, with little rewards along the way. ____________________ If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
You're in ISIS |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| WD Forte |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 WD Forte World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Jun 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Flatbadger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Flatbadger World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Apr 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:31 - 09 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm slowly getting it now, I'm going through loads of videos and seeing who explains it in the best way for me, certainly I need to investigate how the voltage is being manipulated around the 555.
Interesting that you add the picture of the Tandy* book, it featured in one of the vids but I mistook it for the bloke's own exercise book - I though you were him for a second there
I made a prototype water level detector for my bath yesterday, and it worked! I might make improvements for next year's bath.
This is a great leap forward for Flatbadger Industries Inc. and as well as that, my sound generator project has resulted only in a Hot Chip, so I'm down with the kids too.
* I got my radio scanner from Tandy years ago - and was trying it only last night. Back in the days of analogue phones, there was a plethora of interesting stuff to er.. avoid. But last night I only managed a snatch of a taxi driver ____________________ If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
You're in ISIS |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ribenapigeon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ribenapigeon Super Spammer

Joined: 20 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Flatbadger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Flatbadger World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Apr 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:35 - 12 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks Boozehawk - I now have the Mims 555 book and a copy of the Croc Clips program, thanks to a couple of BCFers. I've found that a virtual electronic organ crashes it though
There's a 555 simulator here which I'm going to look at soon as well.
Next I'm off to Maplin for fuses as I overloaded my multimeter  ____________________ If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
You're in ISIS |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ribenapigeon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ribenapigeon Super Spammer

Joined: 20 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 235 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|