|
|
| Author |
Message |
| evilzed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 evilzed Scooby Slapper
Joined: 05 Oct 2013 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:17 - 13 Feb 2014 Post subject: Another failed mod 1 thread need advice |
 |
|
Hi guys, So yeah I've been riding a 125 for couple of months no problems, never dropped the bike or had an incident(riding atleast 5 days a week) got on a 4 day DAS paid around £660 that's including damage waiver insurance.
Did well on practice, now on the test it self 0 minors hit above the speeds for emergency brake and swerve.....however I managed to get the front wheel slightly over the controlled stop exercise........................... as it's the first faster pace exercise to test my speed I went perhaps a little too fast but not insanely fast, I don't know what happened tbh I assumed the control stop you had to go minimum 50kph as well but apparently not.
So I had no choice but to re-book it and combine both mod 1 & 2 on the same day and that is my last available day on the course. This is because the instructor told me just for mod 1 it costs £185!!!! for both it's £230, that's bike rent and tests. What I'm wondering is if this is the normal cost? As it seems so damn expensive for something that's so easy to fail. My plan was to take them one at a time to save money but it would end up costing more with those prices :S
Thanks in advanced for any input. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| twistedlemon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 twistedlemon Borekit Bruiser

Joined: 09 Feb 2013 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:16 - 13 Feb 2014 Post subject: Re: Another failed mod 1 thread need advice |
 |
|
| evilzed wrote: | Hi guys, So yeah I've been riding a 125 for couple of months no problems, never dropped the bike or had an incident(riding atleast 5 days a week) got on a 4 day DAS paid around £660 that's including damage waiver insurance.
Did well on practice, now on the test it self 0 minors hit above the speeds for emergency brake and swerve.....however I managed to get the front wheel slightly over the controlled stop exercise...........................  as it's the first faster pace exercise to test my speed I went perhaps a little too fast but not insanely fast, I don't know what happened tbh I assumed the control stop you had to go minimum 50kph as well but apparently not.
So I had no choice but to re-book it and combine both mod 1 & 2 on the same day and that is my last available day on the course. This is because the instructor told me just for mod 1 it costs £185!!!! for both it's £230, that's bike rent and tests. What I'm wondering is if this is the normal cost? As it seems so damn expensive for something that's so easy to fail. My plan was to take them one at a time to save money but it would end up costing more with those prices :S
Thanks in advanced for any input. |
Pretty normal prices but you won't fail it again. Just relax and concentrate on the task at hand mate. ____________________ 2013 Triumph Daytona 675 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pinkyfloyd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pinkyfloyd Super Spammer

Joined: 20 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| badgerman1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 badgerman1 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 26 Jul 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| evilzed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 evilzed Scooby Slapper
Joined: 05 Oct 2013 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| wr6133 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 wr6133 World Chat Champion
Joined: 31 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SQL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SQL World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Aug 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| evilzed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 evilzed Scooby Slapper
Joined: 05 Oct 2013 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nobby the Bastard |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nobby the Bastard Harley Gaydar

Joined: 16 Aug 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:19 - 13 Feb 2014 Post subject: Re: Another failed mod 1 thread need advice |
 |
|
| evilzed wrote: | I assumed the control stop you had to go minimum 50kph as well but apparently not. |
Poor preparation by your instructor, or you weren't listening?
It is an easy test to fail, but that's where you're at. I'd be surprised if you do get it much cheaper elsewhere. Bear in mind you're paying test fees (£15.50 + £75) plus an instructor's wages plus overheads, and possibly solo rather than as half of a pair of candidates.
Your other option is to buy your own bike and DIY it. You'll still have to pay the £90.50 test fees, plus insure it via Bikesure on your provisionaL (I don't know anyone else who will cover you) and then find a legal way of getting it to the test centre: van, trailer, chum with appropriate license and 'other bike' insurance to ride it in.
In that context, £230 isn't too bad, just don't nob it up again. If in doubt, ask the examiner exactly what's expected. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| evilzed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 evilzed Scooby Slapper
Joined: 05 Oct 2013 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:25 - 13 Feb 2014 Post subject: Re: Another failed mod 1 thread need advice |
 |
|
| Rogerborg wrote: | | evilzed wrote: | I assumed the control stop you had to go minimum 50kph as well but apparently not. |
Poor preparation by your instructor, or you weren't listening?
It is an easy test to fail, but that's where you're at. You're unlikely to get it cheaper elsewhere. Bear in mind you're paying test fees (£15.50 + £75) plus an instructor's wages plus overheads, and possibly solo rather than as half of a pair of candidates.
Your other option is to buy your own bike and DIY it. You'll still have to pay the £90.50 test fees, plus insure it via Bikesure on your provisionaL (I don't know anyone else who will cover you) and then find a legal way of getting it to the test centre: van, trailer, chum with appropriate license and 'other bike' insurance to ride it in.
£230 actually looks like decent value, just don't nob it up again. If in doubt, ask the examiner exactly what's expected. |
It was my only dodgy maneuver in the morning tests tbh the instructor said your getting a little too forward with the front wheel, but I still had it in the box, later on I was told the examiner judge the test by the front wheels spindle and the box which would of made things a tad easier for me. And no speeds were mentioned at all during training some of the other learners to me where going exceptionally slow and managed to "just about reach the 48kph minimum" after their tests.
I was just aware many people fail it due to speed or clipping the cone with their foot so just went as fast as I felt necessary. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Skyblue |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Skyblue Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 09 Sep 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Az |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Az World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Apr 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| gavbriggs |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gavbriggs Crazy Courier
Joined: 11 Jun 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jeddy11 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jeddy11 Traffic Copper

Joined: 06 Jul 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:30 - 14 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
If that's your only fail point your doing something right I kicked a cone (plastic) and from then on i had a fear of cones !!!
A good school will surely offer a discount on any retests ?? i couldn't get any retests for months privately as the schools block book em all but the school gave me one of theirs for 50 quid i think, it was not bad profit for them as i was doing it on my own bike and met them at the testing station! I was a bit peeved at the price but reading these stories afterwards i done ok
good luck on retest.. ____________________ Fuelly My Z1000SX
cbt 06/08/11 mod1 (second go) 01/08/12 mod2 21/09/12
Varadero Viking YBR125>Varadero125>ER6F>Z1000SX !!! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ribenapigeon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ribenapigeon Super Spammer

Joined: 20 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Monkeyjoe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Monkeyjoe Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 28 Nov 2013 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:49 - 15 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
The price in the uk to sit mod1 is £15.
My resit (failed 1st time on u-turn) cost £15 + £25 for bike hire = £40.
Mod2 price is £75, I got 2hours, 1hour before test to warm up and bike hire for test, total £125.
I just took the amount of hours I needed till I was ready at £25 per hour, passed mod1 and mod2 both 2nd time around, overall total price from cbt to full bike licence around a grand roughly....
£185 to resist mod1 Definately a rip off I think, I would consider going elsewhere if I was you, good luck and let us know how you get on  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Englishman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Englishman Trackday Trickster

Joined: 03 Nov 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| evilzed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 evilzed Scooby Slapper
Joined: 05 Oct 2013 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BG5067 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BG5067 Spanner Monkey
Joined: 19 Mar 2010 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| evilzed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 evilzed Scooby Slapper
Joined: 05 Oct 2013 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BG5067 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BG5067 Spanner Monkey
Joined: 19 Mar 2010 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| evilzed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 evilzed Scooby Slapper
Joined: 05 Oct 2013 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:28 - 27 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks, 0 minors on the mod 1 again and this time I made sure I got the front wheel in the box , mod 2 with 5 minors it went fairly smoothly.
As for a bike I may stick with the 125 for a while ~6 months or so I love the simplicity. My ideal choice would be a Honda hornet but I'm considering a cbf 500 as I just need something reliable to commute for the time being. Once I have some money and insurance is more affordable then I'll look into a fun bike haha. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rigga |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rigga World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Nov 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:30 - 27 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Good lad  ____________________ Current bike: Honda CBR 1100xx |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:46 - 27 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Nice one! Long term, even if you paid a few hundred more than you might have done elsewhere, you got the job done, and you'd just have wasted that money anyway on food or such. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 217 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|