Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Another failed mod 1 thread need advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

evilzed
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:17 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Another failed mod 1 thread need advice Reply with quote

Hi guys, So yeah I've been riding a 125 for couple of months no problems, never dropped the bike or had an incident(riding atleast 5 days a week) got on a 4 day DAS paid around £660 that's including damage waiver insurance.

Did well on practice, now on the test it self 0 minors hit above the speeds for emergency brake and swerve.....however I managed to get the front wheel slightly over the controlled stop exercise........................... Crying or Very sad as it's the first faster pace exercise to test my speed I went perhaps a little too fast but not insanely fast, I don't know what happened tbh I assumed the control stop you had to go minimum 50kph as well but apparently not.

So I had no choice but to re-book it and combine both mod 1 & 2 on the same day and that is my last available day on the course. This is because the instructor told me just for mod 1 it costs £185!!!! for both it's £230, that's bike rent and tests. What I'm wondering is if this is the normal cost? As it seems so damn expensive for something that's so easy to fail. My plan was to take them one at a time to save money but it would end up costing more with those prices :S

Thanks in advanced for any input.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

twistedlemon
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 09 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Another failed mod 1 thread need advice Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
Hi guys, So yeah I've been riding a 125 for couple of months no problems, never dropped the bike or had an incident(riding atleast 5 days a week) got on a 4 day DAS paid around £660 that's including damage waiver insurance.

Did well on practice, now on the test it self 0 minors hit above the speeds for emergency brake and swerve.....however I managed to get the front wheel slightly over the controlled stop exercise........................... Crying or Very sad as it's the first faster pace exercise to test my speed I went perhaps a little too fast but not insanely fast, I don't know what happened tbh I assumed the control stop you had to go minimum 50kph as well but apparently not.

So I had no choice but to re-book it and combine both mod 1 & 2 on the same day and that is my last available day on the course. This is because the instructor told me just for mod 1 it costs £185!!!! for both it's £230, that's bike rent and tests. What I'm wondering is if this is the normal cost? As it seems so damn expensive for something that's so easy to fail. My plan was to take them one at a time to save money but it would end up costing more with those prices :S

Thanks in advanced for any input.


Pretty normal prices but you won't fail it again. Just relax and concentrate on the task at hand mate.
____________________
2013 Triumph Daytona 675
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a different school. Mod 1 costs around £16 and mod 2 is around £80. Anything over that is what your school is charging for hire and instructor and you are being ripped off.

We'd do it in our school if you dont need lessons for half that at least. All you would need would be a 30-60 min lesson to assess your skills then taken to test. We charge £25 an hour or so.

Where abouts are you? And name and shame.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

badgerman1
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 26 Jul 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my mod 1 last week, cost £95 for three hours hire (pre test practice plus the centre was a 30 min ride away) and the test fee, so agree you need to look elsewhere .......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

evilzed
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the south west London area near Wimbledon haha any recommendations? I don't want to name just yet as the guys are really nice etc it's just the price is insane imo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:55 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
I don't want to name just yet as the guys are really nice etc it's just the price is insane imo


Just because they smile when they bend you over don't make it ok.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SQL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
I'm in the south west London area near Wimbledon haha any recommendations? I don't want to name just yet as the guys are really nice etc it's just the price is insane imo


Phoenix just quoted me £500 for 3 Day DAS.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

evilzed
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQL wrote:
evilzed wrote:
I'm in the south west London area near Wimbledon haha any recommendations? I don't want to name just yet as the guys are really nice etc it's just the price is insane imo


Phoenix just quoted me £500 for 3 Day DAS.


Worst case scenario if I have to retake I will try bargaining with them if they refuse after spending nearly a grand with them I will name them.

Btw 3 day course is 530 with them without the damage waiver insurance (I think it's £10 per day) so I guess they ain't that bad? But I'm thinking it may have been better going with one of those keep borrowing until you pass das scheme things which few schools do.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:19 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
I assumed the control stop you had to go minimum 50kph as well but apparently not.


I'm concerned by the fact that you are quoting kph speeds.
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050


Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 23:20 - 13 Feb 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:19 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Another failed mod 1 thread need advice Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
I assumed the control stop you had to go minimum 50kph as well but apparently not.

Poor preparation by your instructor, or you weren't listening?

It is an easy test to fail, but that's where you're at. I'd be surprised if you do get it much cheaper elsewhere. Bear in mind you're paying test fees (£15.50 + £75) plus an instructor's wages plus overheads, and possibly solo rather than as half of a pair of candidates.

Your other option is to buy your own bike and DIY it. You'll still have to pay the £90.50 test fees, plus insure it via Bikesure on your provisionaL (I don't know anyone else who will cover you) and then find a legal way of getting it to the test centre: van, trailer, chum with appropriate license and 'other bike' insurance to ride it in.

In that context, £230 isn't too bad, just don't nob it up again. If in doubt, ask the examiner exactly what's expected.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

evilzed
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Another failed mod 1 thread need advice Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
evilzed wrote:
I assumed the control stop you had to go minimum 50kph as well but apparently not.

Poor preparation by your instructor, or you weren't listening?

It is an easy test to fail, but that's where you're at. You're unlikely to get it cheaper elsewhere. Bear in mind you're paying test fees (£15.50 + £75) plus an instructor's wages plus overheads, and possibly solo rather than as half of a pair of candidates.

Your other option is to buy your own bike and DIY it. You'll still have to pay the £90.50 test fees, plus insure it via Bikesure on your provisionaL (I don't know anyone else who will cover you) and then find a legal way of getting it to the test centre: van, trailer, chum with appropriate license and 'other bike' insurance to ride it in.

£230 actually looks like decent value, just don't nob it up again. If in doubt, ask the examiner exactly what's expected.


It was my only dodgy maneuver in the morning tests tbh the instructor said your getting a little too forward with the front wheel, but I still had it in the box, later on I was told the examiner judge the test by the front wheels spindle and the box which would of made things a tad easier for me. And no speeds were mentioned at all during training some of the other learners to me where going exceptionally slow and managed to "just about reach the 48kph minimum" after their tests.

I was just aware many people fail it due to speed or clipping the cone with their foot so just went as fast as I felt necessary.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skyblue
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 09 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:51 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will do it next time so don't worry so much.As for the price it don't matter what you paid.Someone will always say you paid too much, if you can afford it why worry about saving a few pounds & wasting time looking for the cheapest deal.Just do it & enjoy your new BIG bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Az
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:23 - 14 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mod1 re-sit cost me £55

£15 for the test itself + £40 for bike rental, including a 2hour lesson before my test.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gavbriggs
Crazy Courier



Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:59 - 14 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it disheartening when they said you will fail for this n that etc. but to be fair to them if you go over the line you striking a pedestrian.

The hard bit is to visualise the line/box as a person or car etc.

We had lots of training for the mod1. Lots on the schools car park and an afternoon on the 125s on the pad and also on the 650 gladius on the pad so 2 days training for mod 1 with some road riding too and then a brush up on the day with the test in the pm.

I know Bikesafe in Sheffield are not the cheapest around but the have a very high pass rate, currently no fails up to and including me passing so it was worth paying a higher price to save a retest etc!!!

As for real road riding, you will probably 'fail' everyday of the week. Hopefully not a serous fail tho!! Lol!! The test is just that. You can then learn to ride properly in the real world.

Just relax and stick at it!!! Good luck!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jeddy11
Traffic Copper



Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 14 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's your only fail point your doing something right Thumbs Up I kicked a cone (plastic) and from then on i had a fear of cones !!!

A good school will surely offer a discount on any retests ?? i couldn't get any retests for months privately as the schools block book em all but the school gave me one of theirs for 50 quid i think, it was not bad profit for them as i was doing it on my own bike and met them at the testing station! I was a bit peeved at the price but reading these stories afterwards i done ok Smile

good luck on retest..
____________________
Fuelly My Z1000SX
cbt 06/08/11 mod1 (second go) 01/08/12 mod2 21/09/12
Varadero Viking YBR125>Varadero125>ER6F>Z1000SX !!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 14 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been burned. I was £210 for both tests bike hire lessons test fees the lot. £185 to re test what a joke its a ten minute test. Your instructor could let you use a bike to do it while giving a pep talk to another student.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeyjoe
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 15 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price in the uk to sit mod1 is £15.
My resit (failed 1st time on u-turn) cost £15 + £25 for bike hire = £40.
Mod2 price is £75, I got 2hours, 1hour before test to warm up and bike hire for test, total £125.
I just took the amount of hours I needed till I was ready at £25 per hour, passed mod1 and mod2 both 2nd time around, overall total price from cbt to full bike licence around a grand roughly....

£185 to resist mod1 Definately a rip off I think, I would consider going elsewhere if I was you, good luck and let us know how you get on Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Englishman
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 03 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:03 - 16 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed my Mod 1 on day four of DAS. My bike school charged me £150 for another go at mod 1 (which I passed) and then the Mod 2 (passed first time). Total of about 1.5hrs there, mod 1 and back to base then about the same for mod 2. This was with Lambs Bike Training in Warrington.
____________________
INSTALLING SUMMER... ████████░░░░░░░░44% DONE. Installation failed.
404 error: Season not found.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

evilzed
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 16 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, I see it varies quite a bit what people here have been paying. I'm going to give it another shot and see how it goes, this time ill ease up on my speed, hopefully I don't screw up the other maneuvers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BG5067
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 19 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:31 - 17 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQL wrote:
evilzed wrote:
I'm in the south west London area near Wimbledon haha any recommendations? I don't want to name just yet as the guys are really nice etc it's just the price is insane imo


Phoenix just quoted me £500 for 3 Day DAS.


I passed mine with Phoenix (new addington/croydon branch) 0 Faults on MOD 1 and 2.

Can't fault them. I had Mark and Wynne great guys
____________________
Current. Kawasaki ZX9R.

Theory passed 17/01/2014. Mod 1 Passed 03/02/2014 (0 faults) Mod 2 10/02/2014 Passed (0 faults)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

evilzed
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I update the thread I passed both test back to back today, very happy of course just letting it sink in for a bit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BG5067
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 19 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
Just thought I update the thread I passed both test back to back today, very happy of course just letting it sink in for a bit.



Well done mate.

you getting a bigger bike?

How was it second time?
____________________
Current. Kawasaki ZX9R.

Theory passed 17/01/2014. Mod 1 Passed 03/02/2014 (0 faults) Mod 2 10/02/2014 Passed (0 faults)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

evilzed
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:28 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, 0 minors on the mod 1 again and this time I made sure I got the front wheel in the box Very Happy, mod 2 with 5 minors it went fairly smoothly.

As for a bike I may stick with the 125 for a while ~6 months or so I love the simplicity. My ideal choice would be a Honda hornet but I'm considering a cbf 500 as I just need something reliable to commute for the time being. Once I have some money and insurance is more affordable then I'll look into a fun bike haha.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rigga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lad Wink
____________________
Current bike: Honda CBR 1100xx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! Long term, even if you paid a few hundred more than you might have done elsewhere, you got the job done, and you'd just have wasted that money anyway on food or such.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 217 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.28 Sec - Server Load: 0.92 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.8 Kb