Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


BMW K100RS for pretty new rider?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Is the K100RS a good bike for me?
Yes, buy it
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
No, but a K75 would be good
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
No, buy an F or an R instead
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, dont buy a BMW
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 17

Author Message

Buchenrad
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 18 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:17 - 18 Feb 2014    Post subject: BMW K100RS for pretty new rider? Reply with quote

A bit of background information:

I got my first bike, a 650 V Star, 6 weeks ago after taking the MSF Class. I ride it pretty much every day at least to and from college and I feel pretty comfortable on it now. It is looking pretty promising that I will get a wicked awesome internship pretty soon which I will travel to twice a week, but its 80 miles each way. I rode my V Star up there the other day and between the wind and vibrations I decided if I will be making that trip regularly I want something that will ride nicely on the highway that has at least some sort of fairing and a lot less vibration.

I found a reasonable deal on a 1986 K100RS that I think would be great for me, but it is a bit more powerful than what I have now. The bulk of my riding will be 80mph on the highway and regular 5 minute trips around town. According to what I have read the K100 is significantly more powerful, only a tiny bit heavier, and has a higher riding position and center of gravity than my V Star. Is it a reasonable idea to sell my V Star and buy the BMW or is the BMW too much for me right now?

I just noticed this is a little long, but if there happens to be any information I didn't cover, please ask.
____________________
2007 V Star 650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:56 - 18 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: BMW K100RS for pretty new rider? Reply with quote

Buchenrad wrote:
A bit of background information:

I got my first bike, a 650 V Star, 6 weeks ago after taking the MSF Class. I ride it pretty much every day at least to and from college and I feel pretty comfortable on it now. It is looking pretty promising that I will get a wicked awesome internship pretty soon which I will travel to twice a week, but its 80 miles each way. I rode my V Star up there the other day and between the wind and vibrations I decided if I will be making that trip regularly I want something that will ride nicely on the highway that has at least some sort of fairing and a lot less vibration.

I found a reasonable deal on a 1986 K100RS that I think would be great for me, but it is a bit more powerful than what I have now. The bulk of my riding will be 80mph on the highway and regular 5 minute trips around town. According to what I have read the K100 is significantly more powerful, only a tiny bit heavier, and has a higher riding position and center of gravity than my V Star. Is it a reasonable idea to sell my V Star and buy the BMW or is the BMW too much for me right now?

I just noticed this is a little long, but if there happens to be any information I didn't cover, please ask.


I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a bike that is damn near 30 years old. Unless they enjoy restoration.

But the power certainly wont be an issue for you, so if you want it, get it.
____________________
Current bike - 2018 H2-SX, 2004 SV1000s, 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF, 2017 Sherco SERF 300, 2003 Suzuki DRZ400 (stolen - AY53 JUU)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 18 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: BMW K100RS for pretty new rider? Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a bike that is damn near 30 years old. Unless they enjoy restoration.

But the power certainly wont be an issue for you, so if you want it, get it.


To counter that, the K bike engines were nicknamed the flying bricks, partly due to shape of the engine and partly due to the reliability they demonstrate. Regular servicing and a bit of care sees them shrug off huge mileages, and shaft drive means no chain maintenance. The rest of it is relatively easy to work on.
The important point is whether it's been looked after by previous owners.

For what you're going to be using it for, I'd say it's a very sensible choice - not the most exciting, best handling, or looking bike in the world, but for sitting on the motorway racking up miles, sensible.

Other choices: Deuville? VFR? Triumph Sprint?
VFR and Sprint might be (EDIT: read that as will be) a bit (lot) more interesting.

Totally agree that the power won't be a problem for you, and maybe the BMW would be a good bike for a year or so while you gain confidence.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 18 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add to that the Divvy 900 as a sensible choice.

There are two things that would worry me a little about the K100 (my brother had one for many years, so I know it a little).

One is reliability, including the electrics. If you are mechanically minded they are solid enough and you shouldn't have any major issues, but you are going to be adding a lot of miles and riding hours to something that is getting on in years; you can expect to have general niggles that need tinkering with rather than major issues (as long as you keep on top of routine maintenance).

The second is weight - they are a big, heavy bike to man handle around. As long as you are reasonably strong that shouldn't be an issue.

I'd not worry about the extra power; it is nice and progressive in delivery so shouldn't catch you out as long as you realise that the throttle actually has many positions in between ticking over and pegged.

As a fast mile munching motorway bike, well that's the job it was designed for and it does it well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Buchenrad
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 18 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 18 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input.

I enjoy and am pretty experienced with working on cars so I dont imagine a bike would be too much different. From my experience so far everything is actually a bit easier to get to on a bike. It wont bother me if I have to do some wrenching on it.

While I do appreciate your suggestions and I think I would like the bikes a lot, since Im in America (I realized shortly after I originally posted that this is a UK based forum) some of the bikes are either rare or not available at all in the US and most are out of my price range, which may also have to do with market differences. I did come across a Yamaha Vision (XZ550) that might be a bit better for me (as well as cheaper).
____________________
2007 V Star 650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robster
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 19 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the K100 bikes, nice retro 80s appeal about them and heard they are immensely reliable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jimbopea
Nova Slayer



Joined: 02 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 20 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a k75, had it last march with only 32000 on the clock. My first big bike.
had to change the clutch after about 2 months, which wasn't easy.
It's now sat waiting till i can afford a new gearbox as thats eaten itself aswell.

I've read that if they have been standing the clutch usually needs replacing, which costs a fortune if you cant do it yourself. So be aware of that.

Although apart from the above mentioned problems it was a good bike, and i cant wait to get it back on the road. I doubt i'll ever sell it if i can help it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 20 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want it, have it. You're in control of your right hand.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robster
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:33 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

and just how pretty are you? pics or GTFO...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmaduke
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved my K75, flawless at 80k miles, no idea what the service history was though, I only done 5k on it before crashing....
So I suppose it wasn't flawless as the throttle got stuck wide open, don't know if it was due to fuelling or the cable.


Not the most comfy seat though but great 2 up, especially if it comes with panniers, they're real expensive to buy seperate.
You don't even know the engines running it's that smooth.

It did flood real easy if you didn't use the throttle when starting it, which without tools meant leaving it overnight before trying again..
____________________
Current: '03 Tuono RSV1000, '05 Van Van, '91 Zephyr 550
Previous: Multistrada 620,Bandit 600,Kawsaki ER-5, BMW K-75
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Monkeypony, that's an old bike and it's going to come with all the associated wiring and rubber rot that old bikes have.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:41 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large screen and big footboards on your Vstar? Won't do much for the vibrations but should make things comfier. Maybe different bars as well.

I'd make sure your 6 week old purchase is definitely not worthy before buying another bike.

The Dragstar (what we call it) officially tops out at about 80 (big heavy shaft driven lump with I think 40 horses to use) so it will vibrate a bit around there, it's more meant to cruise between 60-70.

If you really want to replace it though I wouldn't do so with a 30 year old heap. No matter how good they were back then, odds are now it will be worn out, rotting and tired.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.96 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 78.53 Kb