|
|
| Is the K100RS a good bike for me? |
| Yes, buy it |
|
47% |
[ 8 ] |
| No, but a K75 would be good |
|
11% |
[ 2 ] |
| No, buy an F or an R instead |
|
0% |
[ 0 ] |
| No, dont buy a BMW |
|
41% |
[ 7 ] |
|
| Total Votes : 17 |
|
| Author |
Message |
| Buchenrad |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Buchenrad L Plate Warrior
Joined: 18 Feb 2014 Karma : 
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Monkeypony |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Monkeypony World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Sep 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:56 - 18 Feb 2014 Post subject: Re: BMW K100RS for pretty new rider? |
 |
|
| Buchenrad wrote: | A bit of background information:
I got my first bike, a 650 V Star, 6 weeks ago after taking the MSF Class. I ride it pretty much every day at least to and from college and I feel pretty comfortable on it now. It is looking pretty promising that I will get a wicked awesome internship pretty soon which I will travel to twice a week, but its 80 miles each way. I rode my V Star up there the other day and between the wind and vibrations I decided if I will be making that trip regularly I want something that will ride nicely on the highway that has at least some sort of fairing and a lot less vibration.
I found a reasonable deal on a 1986 K100RS that I think would be great for me, but it is a bit more powerful than what I have now. The bulk of my riding will be 80mph on the highway and regular 5 minute trips around town. According to what I have read the K100 is significantly more powerful, only a tiny bit heavier, and has a higher riding position and center of gravity than my V Star. Is it a reasonable idea to sell my V Star and buy the BMW or is the BMW too much for me right now?
I just noticed this is a little long, but if there happens to be any information I didn't cover, please ask. |
I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a bike that is damn near 30 years old. Unless they enjoy restoration.
But the power certainly wont be an issue for you, so if you want it, get it. ____________________ Current bike - 2018 H2-SX, 2004 SV1000s, 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF, 2017 Sherco SERF 300, 2003 Suzuki DRZ400 (stolen - AY53 JUU) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BTTD |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BTTD World Chat Champion
Joined: 22 Nov 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:17 - 18 Feb 2014 Post subject: Re: BMW K100RS for pretty new rider? |
 |
|
| Monkeypony wrote: |
I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a bike that is damn near 30 years old. Unless they enjoy restoration.
But the power certainly wont be an issue for you, so if you want it, get it. |
To counter that, the K bike engines were nicknamed the flying bricks, partly due to shape of the engine and partly due to the reliability they demonstrate. Regular servicing and a bit of care sees them shrug off huge mileages, and shaft drive means no chain maintenance. The rest of it is relatively easy to work on.
The important point is whether it's been looked after by previous owners.
For what you're going to be using it for, I'd say it's a very sensible choice - not the most exciting, best handling, or looking bike in the world, but for sitting on the motorway racking up miles, sensible.
Other choices: Deuville? VFR? Triumph Sprint?
VFR and Sprint might be (EDIT: read that as will be) a bit (lot) more interesting.
Totally agree that the power won't be a problem for you, and maybe the BMW would be a good bike for a year or so while you gain confidence. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bamt |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bamt World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Dec 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Buchenrad |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Buchenrad L Plate Warrior
Joined: 18 Feb 2014 Karma : 
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robster |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robster World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Dec 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jimbopea |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jimbopea Nova Slayer

Joined: 02 Mar 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:06 - 20 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you want it, have it. You're in control of your right hand. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robster |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robster World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Dec 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Marmaduke |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Marmaduke Scooby Slapper

Joined: 08 Jan 2013 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:38 - 21 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Loved my K75, flawless at 80k miles, no idea what the service history was though, I only done 5k on it before crashing....
So I suppose it wasn't flawless as the throttle got stuck wide open, don't know if it was due to fuelling or the cable.
Not the most comfy seat though but great 2 up, especially if it comes with panniers, they're real expensive to buy seperate.
You don't even know the engines running it's that smooth.
It did flood real easy if you didn't use the throttle when starting it, which without tools meant leaving it overnight before trying again.. ____________________ Current: '03 Tuono RSV1000, '05 Van Van, '91 Zephyr 550
Previous: Multistrada 620,Bandit 600,Kawsaki ER-5, BMW K-75 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:51 - 21 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm with Monkeypony, that's an old bike and it's going to come with all the associated wiring and rubber rot that old bikes have. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| wr6133 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 wr6133 World Chat Champion
Joined: 31 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|