|
|
| Author |
Message |
| CyrilSwan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CyrilSwan Spanner Monkey

Joined: 24 Dec 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:46 - 21 Feb 2014 Post subject: cheap bike for A license |
 |
|
Thinking out loud here so please alert me to any flaws in this plan.
I currently hold an A1 license. I want to do the A license this year. I did the A1 license by teaching myself what was required for mod1 and mod2 on my 125 (no outside training).
I would like to do the same for the A license (yes, it's illegal to ride a bike higher than 125cc on my current license without an instructor).
Is it worth buying a cheap bike that is suitable for the A license test and me riding it (in a legal area ) to get myself used to it and then turn up to the test centre with it and do my thing?
I got through mod1 and mod2 easy enough first time by teaching myself and can't see that doing the same for the A license would be any different as long as I practise.
More to the point, I'd only want this bike to practise and do the test on. So I'm after a bike that I can have for a few weeks/months and sell on at minimal losses.
Saves me having to fork out £500+ on training then. Thoughts? ____________________ Current: Honda 2015 MSX125.
Previous: Honda 2012 CBF125. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| wr6133 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 wr6133 World Chat Champion
Joined: 31 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:39 - 21 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
I don't see a problem with it. You'll want insurance on it for mod 2 at least, which Bikesure should be able to provide on your provisionaL entitlement. Just have an answer ready for the "How did you get it here?" question from DSA Derek.
Why get a temporary bike though, rather than getting the bike you really want? ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CyrilSwan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CyrilSwan Spanner Monkey

Joined: 24 Dec 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CyrilSwan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CyrilSwan Spanner Monkey

Joined: 24 Dec 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MC |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 MC Banned
Joined: 01 Apr 2013 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:22 - 21 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
IF you do get caught, it's bye bye license, and probably bike too. Personally I'd only take the risk if I was on a provisional, with something cheap like a Bandit. By the time you've insured & paid the test fees, you're probably approaching 2/3 day DAS money. ____________________ Yamaha MT-03 '08 (crashed)
Honda XR-125L '04 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:25 - 21 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
| MichuNo9 wrote: | Do I take out a second policy for the second bike? |
Almost certainly, yes.
While I mention Bikesure, I'd note that many insurers only ask if you have a "full" or a "provisional" license. On those terms, the only truthful answer is "full". If someone chooses to insure you on (e.g.) a Bandit when you've got A1, that's really their lookout. It's perfectly legal for you to ride that bike while under test and displaying L plates front and rear.
Just try and find out if your chosen insurer is likely to ask to see a copy of your license. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CyrilSwan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CyrilSwan Spanner Monkey

Joined: 24 Dec 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|