Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


cheap bike for A license

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

CyrilSwan
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 24 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: cheap bike for A license Reply with quote

Thinking out loud here so please alert me to any flaws in this plan.

I currently hold an A1 license. I want to do the A license this year. I did the A1 license by teaching myself what was required for mod1 and mod2 on my 125 (no outside training).

I would like to do the same for the A license (yes, it's illegal to ride a bike higher than 125cc on my current license without an instructor).

Is it worth buying a cheap bike that is suitable for the A license test and me riding it (in a legal area Wink) to get myself used to it and then turn up to the test centre with it and do my thing?

I got through mod1 and mod2 easy enough first time by teaching myself and can't see that doing the same for the A license would be any different as long as I practise.

More to the point, I'd only want this bike to practise and do the test on. So I'm after a bike that I can have for a few weeks/months and sell on at minimal losses.

Saves me having to fork out £500+ on training then. Thoughts?
____________________
Current: Honda 2015 MSX125.
Previous: Honda 2012 CBF125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Hornet?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Hornet-600-Red-1998-/121279634251?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item1c3cd45b4b

That ones going for a grand with best offers taken, doubt you'd lose much punting it on after.

If you passed mod 1 and 2 on a 125 already you won't have much trouble, just need some "private road" to get used to the bigger bike, not that it takes much getting used too. Just twist the throttle a lot less Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a problem with it. You'll want insurance on it for mod 2 at least, which Bikesure should be able to provide on your provisionaL entitlement. Just have an answer ready for the "How did you get it here?" question from DSA Derek.

Why get a temporary bike though, rather than getting the bike you really want?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CyrilSwan
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 24 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Why get a temporary bike though, rather than getting the bike you really want?


Only reason is because the bike I quite like the look of is an A2 category bike.
____________________
Current: Honda 2015 MSX125.
Previous: Honda 2012 CBF125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CyrilSwan
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 24 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I don't see a problem with it. You'll want insurance on it for mod 2 at least, which Bikesure should be able to provide on your provisionaL entitlement.


How would that work as I already have insurance for a full A1 license?

Do I take out a second policy for the second bike?
____________________
Current: Honda 2015 MSX125.
Previous: Honda 2012 CBF125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MichuNo9 wrote:
Do I take out a second policy for the second bike?

Almost certainly, yes.

While I mention Bikesure, I'd note that many insurers only ask if you have a "full" or a "provisional" license. On those terms, the only truthful answer is "full". If someone chooses to insure you on (e.g.) a Bandit when you've got A1, that's really their lookout. It's perfectly legal for you to ride that bike while under test and displaying L plates front and rear.

Just try and find out if your chosen insurer is likely to ask to see a copy of your license.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CyrilSwan
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 24 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I see the Hornet 600 is recommended. Been having a look around, how about the Yamaha XJ600 and FZS600 or Suzuki GSX600 and GSF600F? Suitable for learning on?
____________________
Current: Honda 2015 MSX125.
Previous: Honda 2012 CBF125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.61 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 58.74 Kb