Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Cutting out Gluten

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:00 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Cutting out Gluten Reply with quote

Decided to cut out gluten and grains etc.

I'm an overweight 30yr old, always quite tired and never feel 100% and embarrisingly my body produces a lot more flatulence than most.

Doctor said that this could well be a result of a gluten/grain intollerance and that a high percentage of the population suffer with this without knowing. In fact the human body isn't that efficient at processing this stuff and it can cause you to feel shit.

I do find that some meals make me feel like shit after I finish them - and some even have me sprinting to the loo as it feels like my arse is about to explode (sorry for the image this put's in your mind).

So i've started today - exchanged my lunch time sarnie and scotch egg with ladyfood (chicken salad with coleslaw). It filled me up much more and cost me £3.00 less... Bargain. Not had any ill effects as yet so feeling quite good.

So i'm told that cutting this out of your diet can yeild a weight loss of approx. 12-15 lbs per month. Will wait and see with that one - but mostly trying it to see how it affects my energy levels.

So anyone else done this before?

What should I expect with regards to cravings etc?

Be good to know if others have tried this.

Cheers,

bubbs
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:16 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard some anecdotal reviews through podcasts etc, general consensus is good, I'd be weary of huge weight loss claims though.

Bottom line is, it can't hurt to try, and if you feel a benefit from it then carry on, if no different then try something else.

Not sure about cravings though, but when reducing carbs or adjusting to different times of eating I generally find theres about a weeks transition period where you might feel short spells of weakness/lethargy/insane hunger. Battle through it and hunger becomes a thing of the past - I can easily go from eating a last meal of the day at 8pm and get to 2pm in the afternoon without feeling hungry or any drop in energy. Whereas when I would eat breakfast in the morning I'd find myself feeling peckish around 11 and clock watching out of being ravenous by 12.30, eating lunch and then getting hungry again in the afternoon and into the evening.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

djrikki
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 07 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:32 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lad!

I did this 2 years ago. Wasnt a huge fat bas or anything but my cheeks and belly puff up and weight doesnt really go anywhere else so I look fatter than I am. I was 12.5 stone back then. Took 7 weeks of dropping wheat, grain, carbs, pasta, potato, sweets, sugar and all the shit of the day going for a paleo / ketogenic style of eating. After the 7 weeks Id dropped 2 stone. Felt amazing, more energy, better sleep etc.

Downsides at the start were the issues others note of coming off wheat.

Defo do it but dont fuck around, knock carbs on the head for a bit and see how you go.

I use Arla LactoFree milk now (full fat), sweeteners instead of sugar. Avoid sugar drinks, no sweets/choc/crisps and go mainly for meats, cheese, some veg and life is good.

Got my mrs doing the same 2 months ago and shes reaping the rewards too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

djrikki
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 07 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to post a few links to check out ...

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/09/your-addiction-to-wheat-products-is-making-you-fat-and-unhealthy/245526/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYlIcXynwE&feature=player_embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkdFkPxxDG8&feature=youtu.be&hd=1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest it's not so much the weight loss im bothered with. It's the lethargy that's doing my tits in. Just feeling lazy and horrible. I'm hoping that if this increases energy levels then i'll naturally want to move more which will bring the benefit of weight loss.

I'm around 15stone at the moment at 5'7" but hold it well as I have broad shoulders and quite stocky - but it would be nice to get rid of the extra rolls of flab.

Thanks for the links djrikki.
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give spelt or rye flour a go instead of normal wheat flour. Lower gluten levels, spelt loaf is good made with honey instead of sugar.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel about 3000% better when I eat paleo - Though it's not that easy and you have to be prepared. No more nipping in and picking up sandwiches from the shop when you're hungry...!

It's payday Friday, I'll start doing it again then. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you recommend any eatable pastry? All I had was just awful. Sick

EDIT: Sometimes I eat something that does not really agree with me and they say to try gluten free food for 2 months to see if it gets any better. I don't know what the problem food is. Thumbs Down
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

djrikki
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 07 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
To be honest it's not so much the weight loss im bothered with. It's the lethargy that's doing my tits in. Just feeling lazy and horrible. I'm hoping that if this increases energy levels then i'll naturally want to move more which will bring the benefit of weight loss.

I'm around 15stone at the moment at 5'7" but hold it well as I have broad shoulders and quite stocky - but it would be nice to get rid of the extra rolls of flab.

Thanks for the links djrikki.


Dropping wheat and carbs helps so much with mental well being too - Im not as tired, have more energy and dont have that want to stay in bed and cant be fucked feeling.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

djrikki
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 07 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:12 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
I feel about 3000% better when I eat paleo - Though it's not that easy and you have to be prepared. No more nipping in and picking up sandwiches from the shop when you're hungry...!

It's payday Friday, I'll start doing it again then. Thumbs Up


Amen!

Its bloody hard to eat things that arent full of shit. With the past 3 decades of low fat high sugar bullshit its near on impossible to find simple things like yogurt with decent fat levels and low sugar/carbs.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

djrikki wrote:
Bubbs wrote:
To be honest it's not so much the weight loss im bothered with. It's the lethargy that's doing my tits in. Just feeling lazy and horrible. I'm hoping that if this increases energy levels then i'll naturally want to move more which will bring the benefit of weight loss.

I'm around 15stone at the moment at 5'7" but hold it well as I have broad shoulders and quite stocky - but it would be nice to get rid of the extra rolls of flab.

Thanks for the links djrikki.


Dropping wheat and carbs helps so much with mental well being too - Im not as tired, have more energy and dont have that want to stay in bed and cant be fucked feeling.


That's what id like!! Well i've started so I will just wait and see what happens.

I'll update this thread in a few weeks to see how i'm getting on. Maybe it would be of interest to others.

Thumbs Up
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

djrikki
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 07 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Can you recommend any eatable pastry? All I had was just awful. Sick

EDIT: Sometimes I eat something that does not really agree with me and they say to try gluten free food for 2 months to see if it gets any better. I don't know what the problem food is. Thumbs Down


Gluten free stuff apparently is just as bad but for other reasons. The stuff they chuck in to replace gluten causes other negatives.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

djrikki
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 07 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:


That's what id like!! Well i've started so I will just wait and see what happens.

I'll update this thread in a few weeks to see how i'm getting on. Maybe it would be of interest to others.

Thumbs Up



Expect a week of torture to begin with if you are doing it right - things like burgers have wheat in them; sausages have wheat.

Its used everywhere as a thickening agent so you need to be so careful with labels on things.

Once your week is up you will start to see the benefits flood in but only if you do it right. If you sneak some in in purpose or by accident as like saying youve given up smoking, but you're still having a fly puff.

Report back and if you want more info on things drop me a PM. I do a lot of work for gyms and supplement companies up here so have picked up a lot of good info over the years Im happy to pass on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:31 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

djrikki wrote:
Bubbs wrote:


That's what id like!! Well i've started so I will just wait and see what happens.

I'll update this thread in a few weeks to see how i'm getting on. Maybe it would be of interest to others.

Thumbs Up



Expect a week of torture to begin with if you are doing it right - things like burgers have wheat in them; sausages have wheat.

Its used everywhere as a thickening agent so you need to be so careful with labels on things.

Once your week is up you will start to see the benefits flood in but only if you do it right. If you sneak some in in purpose or by accident as like saying youve given up smoking, but you're still having a fly puff.

Report back and if you want more info on things drop me a PM. I do a lot of work for gyms and supplement companies up here so have picked up a lot of good info over the years Im happy to pass on.


So basically look out for anything that's been processed. Does it say Wheat/Gluten on packs?

Any other foods with hidden wheat worth noting? I guess anything that has been messed with could have gluten in.

Lots of ingredient reading to come then.
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Recluso
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 16 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from someone who lives with a Coeliac and also has Ulcerative Colitis.

I find your comment about running to the loo after meals most interesting. Have you told your doctor? Also, and excuse the gross question but how is your stool? If you're constantly experiencing issues such as loose stool, blood or mucus then you've got more going on that needs investigating. Are you experiencing other symptoms such as abdominal pain? You've said you feel tired and can be gassy. This could also be attributed to IBD's such as Crohn's Disease or IBS.

Ask to be tested for Coeliac's as well.

My UC can be pretty flaky at times and one of the dominating symptoms I deal with most days is tiredness. Somedays it's not too bad and other day I feel like I just need to sleep ALL THE TIME.

So, first thing's first - get yourself properly tested to make sure there's not something suspicious going on as sometimes you need more than just a diet change IF you've got more than just an intolerance going on.

On the cutting grains etc:

Shopping: Check EVERY LABEL. Even on stuff you don't think you'd find wheat. Now, for Coeliac's the big culprits are wheat, rye and barley so even stuff like caramel can cause issues as it's often flavoured with barley malt. You'd be amazed where you find gluten these days.

Eating out: Demand to see ingredients. You'd be horrified as to how many people haven't a clue what gluten is and you have a legal right to be able to see either an allergen list OR the ingredients list directly. Demand to speak to the Chef if you have to. A lot of people consider 'wheat free' just some artsy fartsy diet fad so sometimes you have to stress that 'if I eat this, there will be hell to pay' which again is why you should ensure that you've not got something going on.

Cooking at home: If you like cooking/baking or have someone in the family, ask if they'd be willing to experiment with GF bread for you. It tastes... interesting and won't rise but you'd be amazed what you can bake without any cereals and it still taste pretty damned tasty. I've been cooking for a Coeliac for 10 years and bake using GF products and I've had people coming back for more! (just ask the fogs about my brownies Wink)

Oh and corn flour is fine. As is rice and potato flour Very Happy Consider utilising these as alternatives.
____________________
'Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.'
Honda PS125i > Yamaha YBR125 > Yamaha XJ6 Diversion > Yamaha Tracer 900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut it out along with a lot of other stuff for nearly two years in my teenage years to try sort weight problems out - didn't work in my case in the end as there was no issue with it afterall - but it was an interesting experience Thinking
Robby wrote:
Give spelt or rye flour a go instead of normal wheat flour. Lower gluten levels, spelt loaf is good made with honey instead of sugar.
This is a good bet - It takes some getting used to, but particularly if you can bake it yourself it isn't too bad after a while. Not particularly cheap if you compared it to your average value loaf, but it doesn't have to be really expensive if you buy it in bulk and keep on top of cooking it.

Worth seeing if you have any issues with dairy also, as its not uncommon for gluten/diary problems to go hand in hand for a lot of people. Soy milk etc is a good substitute to start with, and personally I quite liked the test for a while, although it does get a bit dull after a couple of years Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

djrikki
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 07 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 28 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soy can bring its own issues. I found a difference going to this (from ASDA) :

https://www.lactofree.co.uk/products/dairy-drink/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 28 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making me a meatza tonight.

It's like pizza, but you use meat instead of bread. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 28 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
I'm making me a meatza tonight.

It's like pizza, but you use meat instead of bread. Laughing


Going to have to see a picture of this. And maybe a recipe.
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 02 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 06 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently cutting out gluten/wheat and a few weeks ago cut out all dairy. I have changed totallly as a person and dropped 4 killo in weight and eliminated bloating and am now becoming more regular at the loo. My Doc has today confirmed blood tests saying I am lactose intolerant and has suggested I follow a Lactose/gluten/wheat free diet until just before a hospital appointment when I should reintroduce wheat/gluten to see what the reaction is. Shopping has been interesting but my diet has improved.

You do have to plan ahead!
____________________
current scoot 2009 Yamaha YBR250 + Current Pootle 2013 Nissan Leaf
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:28 - 06 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the latest thing is that protein is totally evil - worse for you than smoking 40 a day.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/03/04/eating-large-amounts-meat-cheese-may-be-as-deadly-as-smoking-study-shows/

So you cut out gluten, and you cut of meat etc. - you basically end up living on twigs and green rizzlas.
____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent."

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:27 - 07 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
I'm making me a meatza tonight.

It's like pizza, but you use meat instead of bread. Laughing

I believe the claim was Nigella stole it from epic meal time.

Whatever, it was VERY tasty - and ideal muscle recovery fuel Smile - especially with lean (ideally home made) mince and light mozzarella if you need to keep the fat down.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

covent.gardens
World Clap Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:49 - 07 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
It's the lethargy that's doing my tits in. Just feeling lazy and horrible

Been meaning to go on this diet myself for years, but just haven't got round to starting it...... Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:19 - 07 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: Cutting out Gluten Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

I'm an overweight 30yr old, always quite tired and never feel 100% and embarrisingly my body produces a lot more flatulence than most.

If you cut anything out of your diet and don't replace it with other stuff, you'll lose weight / slow putting it on.

There's decent bodies of evidence, from what I've seen, to suggest the body just 'works better' when fit and not overweight.
I DON'T find myself lacking in energy when I am (bar when trying to get up a hill under my own power quickly Smile, but plenty of people do report having 'more energy' when fit and at an appropriate weight.

As for the flatulence - embrace it Very Happy.
I got the dirtiest look I've ever seen walking down an isle in Morrisons with a friend - let one rip that could probably be heard the other side of the store! Realised I'd missed the tin I wanted - the woman walking behind me wasn't nearly as impressed, it seems Razz.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.92 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.2 Kb