Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Turning right confidence

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:20 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Turning right confidence Reply with quote

After winter slippyness + over greasing my chain and getting a ring of grease on my tyre I seem to have got my confidence back turning left presumably because all roundabouts have a left turn of some sort (motorway interchange slip-roads help) but my confidence turning right is a bit patchy,

It always feels as though I'm going to slide the bike, or simply lean too far over and low-side it (the latter being almost impossible provided I relax and keep some power on)

On a late evening blast from Manchester to Ashbourne down the 515 I remembered on my ZZR that I need to point my chin at the mirrors to ensure my body leans with the bike and that I'm not just leaning the bike but I still had a couple of corners that felt a bit sketchy

perhaps it'll be better heading back up today in the light where I can see for certain where the road goes.



If anyone has advice on helping me stay smooth through the corners that'd be great.

Currently wondering if sports bikes are for me and I might be more comfortable / confident on a more relaxed
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

unluckyluke
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember your training, focus on where you want to go and look through the corner and the bike will follow. Sounds like your massively over thinking/worrying. Go out on a nice warm day, get the tyres up to temperature and attack a piece of road you know well. You'll soon get your confidence back. Remember it takes an awful lot of trying to slide a bike moving at speed.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make/force you turn left or right, move the left part or right part of your ass off the seat so you feel the weight going inside the turn.

I also had problem to turn right, but the first time I did the half ass of the seat thing, I could turn right and go as fast as I wanted. This keeps the bike more upright and stable = confidence maker. Thumbs Up
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:16 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

@RhynoCZ. Could be too much too soon for a relatively new rider.

I'd recommend getting some advanced training if you're still struggling. The money spent on half a days training will be less than the money you spend on fuel scaring yourself...and I bet my left bollock you'll increase in confidence.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:02 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered trying to plan routes where you only ever have to turn left.

Zoolander couldnt turn left, and he managed OK, maybe you could do something similar
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Drax
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 17 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:34 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically if you physically turn you head to where you want to go then that's where you'll end up.

Try it doing a U turn. The more you move your head & look to where you want to go the rest of your body automatically follows.

The opposite side of the coin is target fixation - usually when you get into a bit of a situation. i.e straight in front of you e.g a kerb

If you watch the GP guys in a corner they're looking waaaay ahead.

Where you look is where you go!!! Simples! Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

HT wrote:
@RhynoCZ. Could be too much too soon for a relatively new rider.

I'd recommend getting some advanced training if you're still struggling. The money spent on half a days training will be less than the money you spend on fuel scaring yourself...and I bet my left bollock you'll increase in confidence.


I've had the bike about a year, been riding half a year longer than that happily throwing my 125 varadero around (that handled similar to my mountain bike)

My ride back up was a lot better and smoother, perhaps I should have been a bit steadier in the dark Smile

Which is the better advanced riding training? Is the one the police does good?
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Sheep wrote:
HT wrote:
@RhynoCZ. Could be too much too soon for a relatively new rider.

I'd recommend getting some advanced training if you're still struggling. The money spent on half a days training will be less than the money you spend on fuel scaring yourself...and I bet my left bollock you'll increase in confidence.


I've had the bike about a year, been riding half a year longer than that happily throwing my 125 varadero around (that handled similar to my mountain bike)

My ride back up was a lot better and smoother, perhaps I should have been a bit steadier in the dark Smile

Which is the better advanced riding training? Is the one the police does good?


I watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt9lB-LErQ4 then went on the road, tried it, and I did it like this since then. Thumbs Up
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment on the Bikesafe courses run by the police. A few BCF members have done it so maybe worth a search.

I went with an ex police training instructor so possibly similar approach and format to the bikesafe course. Cost £60 for 2 hours. Was worth every penny as I needed someone to assess my riding due to being self taught. Ironed out a couple of bad habits.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 207 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.45 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 71.53 Kb