|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Wonko The Sane |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wonko The Sane World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Jan 2013 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:20 - 08 Mar 2014 Post subject: Turning right confidence |
 |
|
After winter slippyness + over greasing my chain and getting a ring of grease on my tyre I seem to have got my confidence back turning left presumably because all roundabouts have a left turn of some sort (motorway interchange slip-roads help) but my confidence turning right is a bit patchy,
It always feels as though I'm going to slide the bike, or simply lean too far over and low-side it (the latter being almost impossible provided I relax and keep some power on)
On a late evening blast from Manchester to Ashbourne down the 515 I remembered on my ZZR that I need to point my chin at the mirrors to ensure my body leans with the bike and that I'm not just leaning the bike but I still had a couple of corners that felt a bit sketchy
perhaps it'll be better heading back up today in the light where I can see for certain where the road goes.
If anyone has advice on helping me stay smooth through the corners that'd be great.
Currently wondering if sports bikes are for me and I might be more comfortable / confident on a more relaxed ____________________ Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| unluckyluke |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 unluckyluke Nova Slayer
Joined: 01 Jul 2013 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:58 - 08 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
To make/force you turn left or right, move the left part or right part of your ass off the seat so you feel the weight going inside the turn.
I also had problem to turn right, but the first time I did the half ass of the seat thing, I could turn right and go as fast as I wanted. This keeps the bike more upright and stable = confidence maker.  ____________________ '87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| _Iain_ |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 _Iain_ Banned

Joined: 01 Feb 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:16 - 08 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Best thing I've found for confidence is offroad riding.
Borrow a crosser and hit the mud. Where you've got zero grip you then find yourself in a constant situation of being about to fall off, you then learn to correct slips and slides automaticly.
When I got back on the road I found I had shitloads more confidence as I felt more capable of dealing with the slips without falling off.
I chucked the H100 into a roundabout one night at 50ish mph and the rear tube blew out, I found I knew exactly what to do, how to cope with it, and kept the bike up.
I then figured if I can keep a bike up after a rear tyre blowout at max lean, with 28 year old commuter suspension then why am I worrying so much about cornering at the same lean angles with better tyres, better suspension and a better chassis. Have scince got much faster, nowhere near what anyone would consider quick but a dramatic improvement on where I was! ____________________ Please be aware that the above post may be full of complete nonsense.
Riding: '07 KTM Duke II, Baotian BT49QT-20 Driving: '88 Volvo 340
Last edited by _Iain_ on 13:17 - 08 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Howling TerrorOutOfOffice |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Howling TerrorOutOfOffice Super Spammer

Joined: 05 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:16 - 08 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
@RhynoCZ. Could be too much too soon for a relatively new rider.
I'd recommend getting some advanced training if you're still struggling. The money spent on half a days training will be less than the money you spend on fuel scaring yourself...and I bet my left bollock you'll increase in confidence. ____________________ Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Northern Monkey |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Northern Monkey World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Nov 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Drax |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Drax Scooby Slapper
Joined: 17 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:34 - 08 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Basically if you physically turn you head to where you want to go then that's where you'll end up.
Try it doing a U turn. The more you move your head & look to where you want to go the rest of your body automatically follows.
The opposite side of the coin is target fixation - usually when you get into a bit of a situation. i.e straight in front of you e.g a kerb
If you watch the GP guys in a corner they're looking waaaay ahead.
Where you look is where you go!!! Simples!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wonko The Sane |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wonko The Sane World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Jan 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Howling TerrorOutOfOffice |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Howling TerrorOutOfOffice Super Spammer

Joined: 05 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:09 - 08 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Can't comment on the Bikesafe courses run by the police. A few BCF members have done it so maybe worth a search.
I went with an ex police training instructor so possibly similar approach and format to the bikesafe course. Cost £60 for 2 hours. Was worth every penny as I needed someone to assess my riding due to being self taught. Ironed out a couple of bad habits. ____________________ Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 207 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|