Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Anti social neighbouring

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

1cyl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Anti social neighbouring Reply with quote

Hey folks.

Bit of a waffle:
Wondering if anyone can comment on a minor inconvenience that's manifested in my life.

When I first moved in to my house in 2010, my neighbour agreed verbally to let me cleat a wire along the bottom of her fence, up over her garage and into mine as had been done by the previous occupant. But subsequently removed before sale.
Great! I did it. (green)

Recently however, she's become a more difficult individual to communicate with. (I think it's the fact I'm half her age and have a fractionally bigger plot, I bought a dog bark last year, and now have a baby cry as well. Plus shes no longer out puffing in her garden so I think she's quit smoking, making her irritable).
I'm a considerate neighbour in all aspects. (2 cars, and no revving motors or late night 6 hours of grinder action)

But now she wants me to remove it as she's getting her fence replaced at the end of the month and doesn't want it there anymore, as she might be thinking about moving (yeah right!).

I use the power daily. So running an extension lead from a socket off my own fence every time I want to flip a switch or charge a drill is easy, but obviously a tad annoying after nearly 4 years of the good life of garage power!

I'm thinking of just leaving the SY cable i used (light weight armoured) from my fence to my "P"(yellow), across her access, in a bit of this: https://bit.ly/1cDB7nu. As a permanent fixture that could be removed in seconds.
But I'm sure she's going to be difficult about it and look for a reason to stop me.
Can anyone see a reason why this plan may not succeed? Legislation regarding communal/shared access or cables? Shes the sort that will try to make my life a misery by the book, although I wouldnt put a deliberated trip and suing past her :-/, or finding evidence that a sharp edged spade has attempted to hack through my 3core 1.5mm.

Why can't people just be reasonable hey!?

Any other ideas for a win win solution? Or is it going to just be a case of suck it up for me, and get used to uncoiling/coiling.

Had thought about a pole in my garden and an over head steel cable line but I think 3m length is the maximum allowed and it'd be well over that. Or perhaps a genny with an akra pipe running for a few hours a day, just for lols Mr. Green

Painted pics attached.

Cheers for any "light" that you feel inclined to shine in my direction Smile.
____________________
Chase my Witch up, Catch my Snitch up.
The SMC | The Pit | Stable
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:29 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your screwed. You may as well try and run a cable to a garage in the next town. She has evry right to deny your cable. Most likely a friend or reletive has told her your cable is dodgy.

Do any of the other garages have power? maybe you could do a deal with another garage owner?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

berzerker
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 27 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:10 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dig a metre deep trench and sink a cable

or

Solar panels, leisure batteries and an inverter.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jeddy11
Traffic Copper



Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not run it as i have marked on map rather too obvious is that the front of the garages ?

As mentioned ask neighbor if you can dig it under ground in a nice thick armored cable or underground as marked on my diagram ..

https://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x232/jeddy11/image_470_zpsd607f7a5.jpg
____________________
Fuelly My Z1000SX
cbt 06/08/11 mod1 (second go) 01/08/12 mod2 21/09/12
Varadero Viking YBR125>Varadero125>ER6F>Z1000SX !!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

1cyl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:36 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digging a trench would mean digging up the car park. I'm not that desperate.

Just considering what issues I'm likely to face running the cable above ground around what would be the perimeter of her propery (but essentially across what is a communal car park) on what would appear to be a temporary basis, but for a permanent duration.
____________________
Chase my Witch up, Catch my Snitch up.
The SMC | The Pit | Stable
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mains cables run across communal/other peoples land would mean a heap of planning permission shit. A good generator would be cheaper and a 12v system run of some solar panels on the roof.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nope.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a genny and run it on an open pipe at all hours of the day. When she complains just explain that you had no choice since you had to remove your cable.
____________________
Former: Derbi GP1 50, Sachs XTC 125, Suzuki GSXR 400 GK73A, Kawasaki ZX7R, Suzuki DR250, Yamaha RD350
Current: 2011 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré, 2003 Yamaha YZR-R1 5PW (In Build), 2009 Kawasaki ZZR1400
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:12 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Genny + bonfire on washday
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not build a workshop in your garden and rent out the garage to pay for it?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dischord
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run it on a Catenary wire from your house straight to your garage, cheapest and easiest way. And while you're at it hang a little flag off it with 'haha sucker' written on it Middle Finger
____________________
2012 KTM EXC 250

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1cyl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dischord wrote:
Run it on a Catenary wire from your house straight to your garage, cheapest and easiest way. And while you're at it hang a little flag off it with 'haha sucker' written on it Middle Finger


I have considered this as mentioned.

The whole car park is, as you can see in the diagram, accessed under my property, so there is actually a height restriction. So I could have a strong case if I stay above that height. It's just the distance Issue. I'm fairly sure I'm only allowed 3m in a domestic setting. Although I don't have a copy of the 17th edition wiring regs to hand.
____________________
Chase my Witch up, Catch my Snitch up.
The SMC | The Pit | Stable
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dischord
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:10 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

SliMC wrote:
Dischord wrote:
Run it on a Catenary wire from your house straight to your garage, cheapest and easiest way. And while you're at it hang a little flag off it with 'haha sucker' written on it Middle Finger


I have considered this as mentioned.

The whole car park is, as you can see in the diagram, accessed under my property, so there is actually a height restriction. So I could have a strong case if I stay above that height. It's just the distance Issue. I'm fairly sure I'm only allowed 3m in a domestic setting. Although I don't have a copy of the 17th edition wiring regs to hand.


Don't quote me on this but I'm not sure there is a set distance specified in the regs, just a minimum height. What size is the supply cable? The garage supply from my house-garage (gable end to gable end) is over 15m and that also goes over shared access. I bet if you did it during the day when she's out she wouldn't even notice it Laughing
____________________
2012 KTM EXC 250

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dischord
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just looked at the layout diagram again, your property is set out almost exactly like mine. We're hoping to get the house on the market this year and move to somewhere more private, it's a right pain in the ass!
____________________
2012 KTM EXC 250

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1cyl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:21 - 08 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it does suck being all ontop of one another. And new builds are slung up so fast its worrying. But you do get alot of square footage for your quids and they do have to meet all the up to date regs.

The other issue would be passing over her space. She'd be on at me about the possibility of it breaking and damaging her jag parked underneath. I suppose I could go further out/away and increase cable length.

So the pink option:
https://bit.ly/1ckRQvq

Would just need to find a sutible pole to cement and bolt to one of my fence posts.
____________________
Chase my Witch up, Catch my Snitch up.
The SMC | The Pit | Stable
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:15 - 09 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd already thought "tell her you'll have to run a genny instead then" before I'd even finished your post; looks like I was beaten to it; it's still the best advice here (overhead wire might be good if that fails though!)
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 10 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you bury some armoured cable in the (what looks like gravel) bit where the bins are stored up to the corner of the fence then lift the (again, what looks like) bricks in the parking area, run it under those and re-lay them?
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1cyl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 13 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Could you bury some armoured cable in the (what looks like gravel) bit where the bins are stored up to the corner of the fence then lift the (again, what looks like) bricks in the parking area, run it under those and re-lay them?


I did consider this in the early days after moving in. But again it's still along the perimeter of her property and therefore I predict she's likely to be difficult and unreasonable if I approach her about it.

I'm thinking caternary is my strongest option at the mo, from a 3.5m post in my garden, (which will also be for a high fly washing line to my house) and terminating on the right of my garage door, which is further but will keep the height up and the wire further away from her property/parking space.
Measured it and its about 15m. So I've ordered some 3mm stainless steel wire rope Thumbs Up. With a dozen SS zip ties.

Thanks for all the advice Auntie BCF. Will update if she kicks off.
____________________
Chase my Witch up, Catch my Snitch up.
The SMC | The Pit | Stable
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Conzar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 13 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn the witch?
____________________
Current ride: ZX6R 636 ------- Previous:KTM EXC 450 Supermoto --- ZX6R B1H --Hornet 600--CBR 600--SV650
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 13 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

SliMC wrote:

I did consider this in the early days after moving in. But again it's still along the perimeter of her property and therefore I predict she's likely to be difficult and unreasonable if I approach her about it.


I wasn't suggesting you asked her. Wink

Be interesting to see EXACTLY where her property finishes.

You can get a land registry extract for less than a tenner.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 13 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mole it from the bottom of the garden, underneath the driveway and bring it up inside the garage.
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1cyl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 13 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

syl wrote:
Mole it from the bottom of the garden, underneath the driveway and bring it up inside the garage.


That's got to be expensive? And surley require just as much paperwork and hassle before they'll commit?

Giz a Quote? Wink
____________________
Chase my Witch up, Catch my Snitch up.
The SMC | The Pit | Stable
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:48 - 14 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be cheap, but do it while they're away and they'll never know it's there - unlike a wire over the top of their garden. Couple of hundred for a short distance I suspect, done in an afternoon - try getting someone who works for the local water/electric company to do it on the side.
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1cyl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought i'd update for the hell of it.

So i just went ahead and pushed the button. She flipped....
Within 5 minutes of me stringing the catenary, she lived up to my expectations and got straight on my case with hostile aggressive tones. Complaining that she wasn't happy about this 'eye sore' passing over "her property". (Corner of her parking space). She demanded that i remove it and accused me of 'council estate antics Razz.

Rather than responding equally on the offensive, or giving her the finger,
I remained civil and understanding, and simply stated that: I appreciate she no longer wants a wire along her fence, so this has forced me to consider other alternatives, such as 'this' and possibly a generator Wink . I continued by reiterating that of course I'd rather not have a ghastly over head eye sore. I'd much prefer that while her new concrete post fence is put in the bloke buries an SWA cable for me underneath it and bill me for any additional cost, while she produces a written agreement to cover any legal aspects, (what ever they might be Rolling Eyes ). Surprisingly, she decided to exercise some self restraint, and loosely agreed to consult her fencing bloke, and get back to me. I concluded to her that the catenary will currently remain as a temporary solution.
Off she went.

I'll be incredibly surprised if she even asks him. But i can at least hope. Instead I predict that she'll put the time and energy into trying to round up the other neighbours while getting on the blower to the council, making a case to force me to remove the catenary, because that's what many would do now adays.
I'll then remove it without a fuss, as I'm not a fighter. Then i'll buy the Genny Wink
____________________
Chase my Witch up, Catch my Snitch up.
The SMC | The Pit | Stable


Last edited by 1cyl on 08:43 - 20 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

1198
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:00 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get a straight through carbon fibre exhaust for a generator?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Can you get a straight through carbon fibre exhaust for a generator?

You bad, bad man. You're going straight to hell Wink Very Happy
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.57 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.7 Kb