Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Weak karma ratings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Clutchy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:17 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Weak karma ratings Reply with quote

Don't know if you could give less of a crap about this but here goes;


Positive karma is set about right for when you are at the level I am now, takes bloody ages to increase, so Thumbs Up for that.


THE PROBLEM:

Mikeassa for example has received (at a guess) 90% of his ratings as down ratings yet he is on a gold blob and able to post.

The whole point of self moderation is that it means the general consensus doesn't like what he posts. Therefor after that many down ratings and enemies, he should be automatically suspended or prevented from making posts or threads for a while or limit the amount at least.


Before you say you should have him on enemy, I already do but I accidentally click on his threads from time to time as they are not hidden.



Yes, I know in the grand scheme of things this is very minor and petty but I can't sleep tonight and isn't this the whole point of a forum feedback section??
____________________
Malaguti F12 Phantom-Dead, Suzuki AY50- Dead, NRG power DD LQ, CBR125.
*33 BHP restriction up on 10/12/14* Current bikes/car: SV 650 S/ MKIV GOLF
Guide to pass your test with no lessons!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:58 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: Weak karma ratings Reply with quote

Clutchy wrote:
Yes, I know in the grand scheme of things this is very minor and petty but I can't sleep tonight and isn't this the whole point of a forum feedback section??


Something so trivial is keeping you up at night?

just kidding


I've noticed that, and then another person joined and had no -ve karma (and no +ve karma either) but a big red blob. Surely everyone should start with a white one and from there it is directly proportional to how people rate their posts, doesn't seem that way though
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:20 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't posting new threads give you karma? Thus explaining why austisticmike has a gold blob? My second blob has stayed a paler shade for ages now, I don't think I make enough threads to change it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:34 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember the last time I made a thread. Perhaps its based on posts though as well
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

All set as enemy.
All rate as boring.
Do not reply to his threads.

Easiest way to karma bomb him to hell.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:07 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spelling and grammar make more difference than ratings on the whole. His posts are generally verbose and gramatically correct.

I would question if it was appropriate that someone be banned off the forum purely for being boring?

I'm not entirely certain but I think it goes up if people post replies in your threads too.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mikesaa309
Traffic Copper



Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:41 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s9.postimg.org/5t9z7pxa7/what_if.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does however have some difficulties remembering to post in the correct section.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kerr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
He does however have some difficulties remembering to post in the correct section.


Then why don't you move it to the correct section?
____________________
aprilia 125 Af1 Futura >> Suzuki gsxr 600 srad >> J1 zx6r >> cbr 600rr >> Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:10 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerr wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
He does however have some difficulties remembering to post in the correct section.


Then why don't you move it to the correct section?


This, smash his karma also. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerr wrote:

Then why don't you move it to the correct section?


Because by the time I saw the last one, it had been hijacked and had become random banter instead of bike chat.

I personally think he is contributing to the forum as a whole. He's prompted motorcycle-related discussion in several threads running to multiple pages and has become a lot less shouty after a poor start.

There are other users who I find considerably more annoying and who contribute less on gold blobs too. I enemy and ignore. I don't feel the need to push them off the forum by co-ordinating an attack on them through the karma system.

I like to think I'm mature enough to have realised that just because I don't like someone, doesn't mean they have no right to exist or express their oppinions. That's why I didn't just haul off and ban everyone on my enemy list.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clutchy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I personally think he is contributing to the forum as a whole. He's prompted motorcycle-related discussion in several threads running to multiple pages and has become a lot less shouty after a poor start.




Clearly not contributing that much though is he? Like I said 90% of his ratings are poor... that's how I'm coming to the conclusion that ''on a whole'' he doesn't contribute useful content...

For example, Keith, yourself and G contribute good content, as does Pete... You all have lots of up ratings ( I know post count and other factors are important) but do you see my point?


WEAAAAAAAK down ratings Thumbs Up
____________________
Malaguti F12 Phantom-Dead, Suzuki AY50- Dead, NRG power DD LQ, CBR125.
*33 BHP restriction up on 10/12/14* Current bikes/car: SV 650 S/ MKIV GOLF
Guide to pass your test with no lessons!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

But when people hijack his threads, and upvote each others abuse, that turns his thread to bright green, which in turn pushes his karma up.

The hijacking and abuse is actually improving his karma.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add as enemy.

Downrate posts.

Do not reply to threads.

Do all 3 of those and you'll be laughing. Twisted Evil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mikesaa309
Traffic Copper



Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:01 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Add as enemy.

Downrate posts.

Do not reply to threads.

Do all 3 of those and you'll be laughing. Twisted Evil


Have people only just figured this one out? There's me thinking the Karma system is easy to get your head round. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

groovylee
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just stop posting whatever brainless drivel pops into your head, thereby saving everyone else a job?

Just a thought Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up
____________________
Past - 1988 honda revere 600, 1996 kawasaki gpz500s, 1999 Yamaha R6

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

covent.gardens
World Clap Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:36 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikesaa309 reminds me of "STFU Donny" - every new thread he makes attracts an automatic STFU reaction in the form of bad karma given by lots of people, but then they start discussing the topic he brought up, and it turns in to a half-decent thread. Laughing But no matter how decent his threads get, you can't resist the urge to tell him to STFU.

JiveBunny kept accruing good karma despite being the biggest knobber I have ever known, he conclusively proved the karma system useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.63 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 94.69 Kb