Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Crap in fuel tank - some sort of resin like substance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Nipedley
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:01 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Crap in fuel tank - some sort of resin like substance Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've been chasing a fuel starvation issue on my GS500 for a while now. She runs perfect at any rpm and at any speed, until you go over 70 mph for over 25 seconds or so, and then what I presume happens is the float bowls are draining faster than they fill up and she chokes and coughs and splutters until they catch up again.

First I cleaned out the carbs, all good, then I cleaned the fuel tap, all good in there too. So I thought I'd drain the tank, clean the filter etc. Drain went fine, filter was pretty clean for a 25 year old bike and also fine, then I go to move the fuel tank and hear a load of clanking.

There's bits of this stuff in there ranging from finger nail sized thin pieces, to a massive clump of it that knocks around inside that is probably 8x8cm and about 4cm thick - clearly none of this stuff is doing any good. I got a lot of it out by shaking, but some is larger than the fuel cap hole and will never come out and I don't want to spend eternity shaking my fuel tank. Is there something I can put in that will disolve this crap and then I can flush it out with something? Also, any idea what it is?

TL;DR resin shit in fuel tank how can I get it out

Many thanks!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Amber Phoenix
Traffic Copper



Joined: 01 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably some kinds of tank seal to fix a leak or just tackle rust.
____________________
Beginner Biker Adventures Blog
Yamaha FZ6 S2 2007
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Az
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:13 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just fit a fuel filter instead of cleaning out the tank?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nipedley
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just fitted an inline fuel filter, and the tank petcock has a filter on it that will stop this stuff getting through, but I'd still like to get it out.

I seem to have ruled out all other possibilities for my high speed fuel starvation, perhaps that massive clump of it is sitting on or near the tank petcock and blocking it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like an old tank sealer. Instructions for getting rid of it, and then de-rusting the tank if necessary, are here: https://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/petrol_tank_cleaning_and_rust_removal.html

I've de-rusted a good few tanks, the method there is the best and cheapest one that I have come across. Just bear in mind that strong acid will attack aluminium alloy, so remove the fuel tap and cap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nipedley
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:31 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
It does look like an old tank sealer. Instructions for getting rid of it, and then de-rusting the tank if necessary, are here: https://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/petrol_tank_cleaning_and_rust_removal.html

I've de-rusted a good few tanks, the method there is the best and cheapest one that I have come across. Just bear in mind that strong acid will attack aluminium alloy, so remove the fuel tap and cap.


Thanks for the info, that looks like exactly what I need Smile

Since the link calls for the tank to be sealed, if I couldn't use the tap or cap how would you go about sealing the tank?

It does look like a poorly executed old liner.. Some of it is in sheets that look like they would have gone around the tank, and some of it is just massive clumps.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you not just make a blanking plate (for where the tap goes) from a bit of scrap metal, use a cardboard gasket. that's what i used when i sealed my tank
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 56 Kb